It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2003, 01:23 AM   #1
(female)

tiggie HB User
Post By accident i found something that has cured my RLS

I've been a rls sufferer for many years, and I also seem to have a problem with my joints dislocating and tmj.
Anyway my jaw popped out again one night which somehow put my neck out and back out. I had extreme vertigo and finally went to the Dr. who sent me to a phsyiotherapist. He said I had a pinched nerve in my neck. He manipulated my neck and back and gave me exercises to restore my "nervous function".
Well it was amazing because since then I've not had 1 episode of rls!!! It's been about 5 weeks now and I've gone back to phsyio 4 times. It made me wonder if there is any connection to nerves being pinched in the neck and spine and whether that can cause rls????
Sometimes our vertabrae may be out of alignment just a bit which could be enough to cause the symptoms of rls???
I thought it may just be worth sharing as the relief i got was immediate and so far it hasn't returned. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
That is interesting. That is great that you finally got some relief.

I hope it lasts for you.

Best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2003, 02:03 AM   #3

VeryOldLady HB User
Interesting that you would ask that, Tiggie. I am convinced my RLS is caused by a back injury. I had a couple of single episodes of RLS when I was pregnant with my first child, but nothing major and I got over it. But, then I fell into a hole late one evening 10 years ago that did something to my back and neck. I was seeking doctor after doctor to relieve the pain. I've been to chiropractors, orthopedists, physical therapy, tried the TENS unit, and even had steriod injections that required putting me to sleep, first.

Ten years later, I'm still suffering from the back and neck pain and have been suffering from RLS all this time. It seems that whatever I did to my back has caused my legs and many times my arms (I'd say 80% of the time) to be very restless. This is very aggrivating since needing to move my legs also means I increase my back pain. RLS was so bad that one night -while visiting my sister- the constant violent jerking in the bed knocked a huge picture off the wall that the headboard was against. After hearing the loud thud, I looked over to see my husband-a sound sleeper-laying flat on his back with the heavy picture laying on top of him, his arms and legs sticking straight out from under the the thick heavy frame. He was snoring. I have to laugh every time I look back on it. It was like a scene from the Roadrunner cartoon after Wile E Coyote gets crushed by a boulder.

Recently a doctor put me on a very small dose of narcotic for my back pain and I was totally amazed that for the first time in YEARS I have been restless-free! I feel so calm that I just want to sit and enjoy sitting! He's not giving me enough to get a "high" off of. It's just enough to knock out the pain and relax me. I'm not sure if this is part of the RLS, but I was very VERY ticklish. This has also subsided.

I've noticed many people in here asking what the symptoms of RLS are so they can determine if they have it. It seems to me that if you have to ask, you probably don't have it. When you have it, you know it. But, if you think you have it, you should go to the doctor to find out what you do have.

The following is my description of RLS: I'm so exhausted I want to go to sleep, but my limbs are saying, "Let's go jogging, Dude!". I wish there was a way I could cut off my arms and legs and let them go jogging without me through the night. Then reattach them in the morning when I need them. Hopefully by that time, they'd be tired enough to calm down. I find myself just grabbing and squeezing my arms and legs together real hard. I make hard fists, and draw my forearms to my upperarms as hard as I can and squeeze really hard against my body. Then I have to move them around because that's not enough. I draw my legs up to my body in a fetal position and grab them really hard with my arms around my legs and squeeze very hard. But, again, it's still not enough. I find it temporarily helpful for my husband to give me a real hard big squeeze while I'm sitting in a fetal position. Just grab all of me and once and squeeze really hard. I'd think it would be impossible for him to squeeze too hard. But, that doesn't last long and I'm back to wanting to move again.

At night, I'm alternating by drawing my legs up to my body, stratching out, drawing one leg up to my body with one leg outstretched, and drawing the outstretched leg up and stretching out the drawn leg. Then stretching totally out on my stomach pulling my arms under me and clenching really hard, then drawing my legs up...[sigh] This happens all night. I'm so fortunate that my husband can sleep through an earthquake. But, I've kicked him several times trying to get "comfortable".

But, I do believe my RLS is caused by a back injury. You can't convince me otherwise.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I agree with you lady, that if you have it you know.

The best way I've heard someone describe it, is that it feels as if someone is taking a tuning fork and pinging your legs with it every 10-20 seconds.

Moving certainly does help. I do the "draw my legs up thing too". It is maddening.

Recently I've been given rotating doses of benzodiazapines, valium, xanax, and klonopin. It has helped tremendously. I take .25mg in the evening. I rotate every month as if you take just one brand you build up a tolerance. So far, so good. I haven't felt this good in years.

Old 06-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #5

VeryOldLady HB User
Quote:
The best way I've heard someone describe it, is that it feels as if someone is taking a tuning fork and pinging your legs with it every 10-20 seconds.
That is a pretty good description...'cept it's a huge tuning fork and it effects all the legs and arms.

I think if I had to describe the actual feeling, it's be like someone tickling all my leg muscles (instead of skin) and many times my arm muscles.

It makes me appreciate what hyperactive kids have to go through (if this is comparitive to their symptoms). I have to be thankful I didn't have this problem while I was in school.

Closed Thread