It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2003, 07:54 PM   #1

tsw HB User
Post RLS and sugar

Hi. I discovered my RLS is directly related to how much sugar I eat. Even most carbohydrates bother me but for some reason eating a potato with my meals reduces the tingling and crawling in my legs tremendously. I'm just beginning to research and experiment so I can't explain why.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:50 AM   #2

Linda Hively HB User
I'd be real interested in finding out if that works. Sometimes ( most of the time) I am siting in my recliner watching t.v. at night and my husband is seeing me fidgeting. It's like I have to move my legs constantly it seems. I don't know if it's the Neuropathy or the restless legs but my feet are frozen. No matter if I put extra heavy socks on plus a blanket over my legs. Then when they get warmed up they drive me nuts with that crawling up my legs. Potatoes would sure be a lot better than feeling zonked with medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2003, 02:57 PM   #3

tsw HB User
It works for me, without a doubt--At least for this past week . I think I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which I read can cause RLS, and potatoes are supposed to help regulate blood sugar levels.
RLS runs in my family but for me it's only been a problem when I eat anything with carbohydrates-except for potatoes.
It's also worse in the evening. Do you notice any correlation between what you eat, or anything else, that could cause it? Do you have the same symptoms every night- or on a regular basis?

Old 04-25-2003, 07:49 PM   #4

Linda Hively HB User
tsw,
Restless legs runs in my family also. We have Charcot Marie Tooth very prevelant in our genes. (That's a neuropathy) I believe that it's slightly different each time. No it's not every night. ALLMOST THOUGH.It's usually always in the evening when it really bothers me. It seems to be at it's peak when I've had a day that I have to do a lot of either standing. For instance if I see someone I know at a store and talk for a while or if I have to wait in a line.I guess I will have to watch if foods are something that makes change. I know if I haven't gotten sufficient sleep it effects things. Funny thing is restless legs can also effect the amount of restful sleep you get.
Linda

Old 04-26-2003, 04:51 PM   #5

tsw HB User
That's for sure! It seems like you might be able to find other triggers that aggravate your symptoms, since you feel better some days than others.
I also used to get my symptoms worse toward evening-probably because that's when I had the most sugar in my body. In the morning I always felt fine, before I ate anything. Do you get RLS before you eat?
I've never heard of Charcot Marie Tooth before; i wonder if there's any connection there.

Old 04-28-2003, 05:20 AM   #6

Linda Hively HB User
Charcot Marie Tooth is a peripheral neuropathy. It effects the outer most extremities first.( The myelin sheath that is around the muscle is not right ) They list it as one of the 42 conditions studied under the class of Muscular Dystrophy. I myself think that evening is when it's most noticable because that when you are stil and more in tune with the body. I have been taking Alpha Lipoic Acid for over a year now and have seen dramatic improvements. Also Vitamin B- Stress in the evening with the last meal is a great thing for restless legs the neurologists have said.
Linda

Old 05-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #7

Kimberly Lynn88 HB User
I thought it was related to sugar as well. When I was pregnant with my third daughter my legs were the worst ever...then I got diabetes and went toxic from very high sugar levels...the higher the levels the worst my legs got. I just lied in bed and tossed and turned and kicked and banged my legs...they didnt itch or twitch..just ached and felt the need to hurt them?

Old 05-07-2003, 09:32 AM   #8

jitterbug HB User
Thumbs up

To All:
I completely agree that RLS maybe be related to blood sugar levels. I've tried to be observant as to the time(s) of day when my RLS would act up. Usually, after lunch and dinner, and then again at bedtime. The first sign of sleepiness after a meal, and then my legs kick in (and out). I'm so exhausted. It's the most nerve racking thing I've ever experienced. I won't try Sinemet or any of the other drugs because, a) the side effects, and b) most stop working after a while anyway. I'm going to try some natural alternatives that help regulate blood sugar. Has anyone tried any of these and had success? It's pitiful that a disease that is affecting so many people is not being studied by the drug companies. Best thing I've found is to keep sharing your experiences and maybe someone will happen onto something that just might be the cure-all.
-Jitterbug

Old 05-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #9

Linda Hively HB User
I just wanted to check in and say that the longer that I'm on the B-Stress P.M. the better overall everything is. I think myself ( for me) I have found the best program. I sleep better, don't have near the problems with RLS. Oh yeah by the way I've been on Weight Watchers for a month now and have cut the sugar way,way down so all in all sugar has a big part in it I am sure.
Linda

Old 05-12-2003, 07:11 AM   #10

jitterbug HB User
LINDA:

Can you tell me more about Alpha Lipoic? That's a new one on me.

Thanks,
jitterbug

Old 05-14-2003, 11:03 PM   #11

tsw HB User
I forgot to mention caffeine as well. Caffeine actually makes me worse than sugar.
Yes, it would certianly be nice if there was more info on this subject available. To at least know exactly what's going on in our legs when they get that way.
And does anyone else have a problem convincing other people the symptoms are real? I've been getting a lot of people thinking I'm a hypochondriac. After viewing this board I'm glad to know its an actual "condition."

Old 05-30-2003, 11:43 AM   #12

gyana HB User
To tsw, about sugar and caffeine. I have found sugar to be a culprit, if i eat it late in day, but mild caffeine, such as tea, green or blcak, I actually found RELIEVES the RLS symptoms for a while! Wild, huh? But then its impossible to sleep, but better that than RLS. Also, has anyone out there developed insomnia as a result of Mirapex. I have, i am desparate for sleep and most nights get close to none, Help! ( I am going to a naturopathic dr now, and maybe that will discover something that will be beneficial and not have addictive and harmful qualities, like most meds. Gyana

Old 06-20-2003, 09:30 AM   #13

pinkyrocks HB User
hi everyone!i am so glad i stumbled across this place.i have spent many sleepless nights walking the floor.i would at times think i was going crazy.i mean it sounds kinda crazy, your legs bother u & the only thing that helps is walking on them.i remember times i would just walk around the house at night & cry. i was so tired & knowing i had to be at work the next morning & needed rest so much.this went on for years,before i finally said something to my doctor about it(i thought he would tell me i'm nuts) but i was so shocked when he told me there was a name for what i had.i can go for awhile with out any problems & then suddenly after i lay down,it starts & i can't keep my legs still.my problem has always been just in my leg below the knee. i never thought about a connection between rls & sugar.i was wondering about alpha lipoic acid,how many mg.a day seems to work best for rls?

Old 06-21-2003, 11:33 AM   #14
(female)

Evelyn Shook HB User
Talking

Hi everyone, I've been reading the posts for awhile. I have suffered from rls for about 5 years. It got to be unbearable about 3 years ago. My doctor put me on Elavil, that helped for awhile, then it didn't, so I tried Neurontin that didn't work then Klonopin did not work either, next Mirapex it made my legs stop crawling but I was unable to sleep. Now I am using Requip, I don't knoe what to do. It is in my hands and arms now also. I had surgery on my neck many years ago and also a disk problem a few years ago. I used to be so healthy. I hate this!

Old 06-24-2003, 09:04 PM   #15

Mustang95 HB User
Just wanted to put my input too after Evelyn S above. I've been threw the gambit of Elavil, Klonoplin, Neurontin, and Mirapx. Now I'm 6'9" tall and about 290, so take that into account on the dosages.

My best time dealing with the RLS was when I was taking:

Ambien 10MG Help Sleep
MiraPex 1MG during day and 2.5 at bedtime
Neurontin 300 MG morning and bedtime
Klonopin 3mg at bedtime.

Then, Ultram, take 200MG at bedtime, supposed to only take 100, but double works best. Ultram is given to me because of Arthritis, pain, and stiffness. I'm down to only 2 MG of mirapex at bedtime and no klonopin and the RLS is getting worse and really making my wife mad!! And we just got married. But she has been reading things here and seeing all the great help from everyone to see that RLS is out there and people share a lot of the same symptoms and prescriptions. Good luck.

Closed Thread