It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2003, 12:45 PM   #1

Chickodee48 HB User
Post WHAT a relief!!!!!

I was beginning to think I was loosing my mind untill I stumbled across this board this morning! I have read the posts, and I swear I almost saw FIREWORKS!!!! I have had this condition well over a year now (I am 50 years old) and recently stopped doing squats and claf-raises as my doctor thought these were contributing to my problem. I tried eating bananas for the extra potassium, I would take a bit of table salt as well, thinking this was my problem! Nothing has helped and this morning I just HAD to research these symptoms on the internet. I am AMAZED that so many people suffer from this! And it TRULY IS suffering too!!!!! My calves just below the knees will tighten up SO TERRIBLY at night...I just want to contract the muscles and squeeze for all I'm worth! It isnt particularly painful, just super uncomfortable and at times nearly ticklish! When I read thru all these posts this morning, it was like I had written them!!! I DO feel some discomfort during the day, but oh boy when I relax at night I am MISERABLE!!! I'm to the point where I almost dont WANT to relax! Thinking about getting into bed is not on my list of pleasant things to do anymore either. I am on a prescription for Paxil which I am going to ask my doctor to wean me from once Monday gets here. I DO take Geritol Complete as a vitamin suppliment, but I think I will bring the B-12 up a notch or two...see if this helps at all. Also, I am going to eat more potatos!!! I have been staying away from starchie foods, but I think getting these symptoms under control is way more important to me than gaining a pound or two! Thank the lord above that this board is here!!!!! My Mother used to complain of not being able to relax her legs when she went to bed at night....I have an older sister with the same problem. I know this is getting lengthy for my first post, but I have severe flat feet.....I wear arch supports....which does the most harm as far as bringing on the symptoms, walking, standing, or sitting ? It seems I am on my feet alot. Thanks once again for this board!!!! I think I can safely say, now, that I have NOT lost my mind!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2003, 12:39 AM   #2

VeryOldLady HB User
Talking

It's comforting to find people who suffer from the same things you do isn't it? When I tried explaining this to family or friends who don't suffer from this they change the subject (they don't relate to restless legs) or shrug their shoulders and wander off. But, I suppose it's difficult to understand someone when they say, "I wish I could take my arms and legs off and let them run around the block while I get a good night's sleep". A statement like that probably makes me that "Aunt nobody talks about". {grin}

Even my doctors didn't relate. My relief only came as a "side effect" of a medicine treating something totally unrelated.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:01 PM   #3

Cinnamon53 HB User
Smile

Yes, I was exicted to find this board too. I knew what I had, but didnt know anyone else with it. It is frustrating to try to get through to your doctor even. Many are not well informed about RLS. Even the name alone, suggests just a "minor disturbance" I like the comment the lady that first replied, I want to take my arms and legs off to let them run around the block while I sleep. I think that is the Best discription ever!
Beware increasing any meds or nautral supplements without first getting a blood test, This test will show what your B12 levels are, also liver and iron level among others. Does your Doc know about the Geritol Iron? You will have to find a alternative for Paxil, Im currently thinking I need to find an alternative to Zoloft. Its also very frustrating when you find a drug that works, and then suddenly it doesnt work anymore and you have to go thru the process of finding a new one. I've learned that this is part of the process. I posted on here ashort bit ago, many people recommended I go to the doctor, the sad part, all I said, was UNDER the care of a doctor, we are really struglling to balance this out. You have flat feet too? Wow, I wonder how many others, maybe a connection here? I find the worse the pain in my feet the worse the legs. I wonder if others will comment about that. One final thing, when you cant sleep, try pacing, it helps me somewhat, or a hot long bubble bath!

Old 07-03-2003, 02:18 AM   #4

alientmorphette HB User
Did someone say Paxil? I have had RLS forever (am 26) and Paxil darn-near drove me insane. My RLS progressed from occassional annoying twitches to violent sleep thrashing that left me soooooo exhausted I literally almost went insane from not having a restful night's sleep for several weeks. I switched right over the Prozac and it's been smooth sailing ever since. My grandmother also tried Zoloft and Celexa after a bad experience with the Paxil and she didn't like those two either. She never has tried the Prozac. Be careful not to let your doctor persuade you that Paxil is not the cause of your woes because there may be woes not listed in the literature that really do exist.
My entire family on my dad's side has RLS and our two family remedies are as follows: Dip feet up to the ankels in a bathtub partially full of very cold water. Add ice for those really twitchy nights because you'll need it and stay there for a few minutes. The second method is to run in place furiously for a few minutes. To speed up the process, try holding a barbell in each hand for added impact or text books will work too. Could be bad for the knees but it does work. I get RLS in upper calf area and it seems to be more annoying each time I get it. Also try asprin daily as someone else suggested it to me and it might be working.

Old 07-05-2003, 05:03 PM   #5

Glenda/Bill HB User
Hello All, I am a RLS victim also. Last night was horrible. I have taken all sorts of stuff for the mess. Muscle relaxers, etc. The only thing that has helped mine is a small amt of pain medication. Lortab about .35mg. Of course it also keeps me awake, but I take it and after awhile the twitching stops and then I pass out. I also have FMS so not getting enough sleep makes everything else hurt!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif No the Dr. do not understand!!! I wish they could have the stuff just one night! Well good luck to everyone. Maybe they will come up with a miracle cure or the Lord will just call us all home to be with Him.

Old 07-06-2003, 09:20 PM   #6

teresamflores HB User
Hi I too have RLS. Somehow at the age of 36 after my total hysterectomy I developed restless legs. However no one could figure out what was going on, and my ob/gyn who did the hysterectomy and put me on hormone replacement said to go see my regular doctor. After a year and a half of being miserable up walking the floor at night and changing hormones 5 different times the doctors answer was to give me sleeping pills so that I could get some rest. Great, I sleep but continue to move my legs all night and kick my husband. Then I wake up in the morning with "jello legs" and I am so groggy from the sleeping pills that I can hardly wake up to go to work. I have FINALLY got off of all HRT, but I still take my vitamins and calcium/magnesium supplements and I have had a week worth of great sleep with no leg cramps. The only thing I can contribute the RLS to, is the HRT or estrogen pills that I have taken. I have spoke to the doctor and he says as long as I take vitamins, Calcium/magnesium supplements I should be fine. I have also started taking the natural HRT from the drug store to help with the hot flashes but I feel GREAT. I hope this information will help someone else out there because it seems that the health care professionals do not have an answer. I can say that this will work for everyone but it is worth a try.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:56 PM   #7
wiki1212

Cool

I am also a sufferer of RLS and went through so many tests for disc problems, MRI's...which all came back negative. Finally my dr. put me on Neurontin which is an anti-seisure medication. My legs feel 100% better...and I sleep through the night again...it is a miracle. Ask your Dr. if this would work for you.

Old 07-10-2003, 02:16 AM   #8

AstraRose1 HB User
I found this site quite by accident too. Its wonderful to know Im not alone. I have suffered from RLS my entire life. If you find something that helps you, let me know. Ive tried everything I can think of, with no relief.

Old 07-14-2003, 03:11 AM   #9

indiana HB User
Try this site for RLS: [url="http://www.rlshelp.org/rlshomepage.htm"]http://www.rlshelp.org/rlshomepage.htm[/url]

A good neurologist will help you with new medicine out there for RLS

Stay away from antihistamines, caffeine, Vit C (take Ester C instead).

For starters.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #10

Dean J HB User
Try taking antidepressants at night instead of during the day. It seemed to help a little for me.

I started out trying all kinds of muscle relaxants in large quantities and they didn't work.

It's a nerve problem, not muscles.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:58 AM   #11

pmitchell HB User
Hi Everyone, maybe I have some good news for all of you. After suffering for several years with the same symtoms you all are describing, I was diagnosed with RLS. My Dr. prescribed Neurontin, 300 mg. at bedtime. It took about 2 weeks to start taking effect, but symptoms disappeared and I can now get the rest I need at night. I have been on Neurontin for a year now with no noticable side effects. Wonderful!!! As you will see if you check this medication out that it is an anti-seizure medication. But it really works. Please ask your Dr. about this. I guarantee your nights will be much better.

Old 08-22-2003, 04:56 PM   #12

stems HB User
Wink

This message is in response to cinnamon53, if you are thinking of going off zoloft, check out the withdrawal symptoms. I'm in my third week of "no Zoloft" its difficult! I had no idea that there would be any problems going off, (I did so gradually also!). I also have problems with my legs twitching and waking me up at night..mabe getting off zoloft will help, i'll keep you posted if I find some relief.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:00 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Talking

I found relief with iron supplements. I mean almost instant relief. Whenever I feel that crawley feeling coming on, I just take an iron tablet and within less than half an hour, my leg feels normal and I can sleep. The only time it comes on is when I go to bed. It's also worse when I have a rough day at work. I work in an automotive parts warehouse and do a lot of heavy lifting and walking.

I've also heard about that seizure medication for RLS. I read that doctors don't know for sure why it works but it obviously does.

Closed Thread