It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

Zazzaz HB User
Post Managing RLS / PLMD during pregnancy

Hello,

We're looking forward to starting a family soon - my only concern is that I've read that pregnancy can make RLS/PLMD much worse (or even show up for the first time in women who had never previously experienced it). Chronic sleep deprivation makes the best of us feel pretty insane - and it's not the state I want to be in as I welcome a new baby home!

I already have a pretty severe case, for which I take mirapex. I understand that I will probably have to quit the mirapex during pregnancy - and the only alternative I've seen suggested during pregnancy is methadone - which doesn't sound good.

What have other soon-to-be or current moms found helpful for managing RLS/PLMD during pregancy?

Thanks ~ Z

The Following User Says Thank You to Zazzaz For This Useful Post:
LeslieKEstes (09-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 PM   #2

luckykoi HB User
Unhappy

I am pregant and have SEVERE PLMD and am on Mirapex. I could not stop taking it as I wake up every two minutes all night long without it. Then I start to catch every cold and flu and infection imaginable.

I was getting by on .5 mg of Mirapex pre-pregnancy, now I am up to 3 mg and still amd tired all the time. Blood volume and metabolism increase in pregnancy so you need more meds.

I've had a level II ultra-sound and the baby is fine. Lots of moms have taken Bromocriptine while pregnant without ill effect to the baby..next to nothing is known about Mirapex in pregnacy but generally Bromocriptine and the other older ergo derived drugs in the same class are considered to come with more risk in general.

I am having a horrible time with throwing up thanks to this med and pregnancy.. normally I never throw up.. did not throw up once during my first pregnacy..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #3

Lshcat HB User
I went through this..

I just had a beautiful baby girl and with a severe case of RLS. Ask your Dr. to prescribe a mild narcotic for nights when you need it. I took Tylenol #3 (with codeine) and did great. This drug saves me. Also, I want to add that my case got less severe while pregnant. Maybe due to the massive prenatal vitamins, or that I was so tired from all the extra weight and "work" so maybe you'll get lucky too. Narcotics are given in huge doses - like Percocet - even during labor and delivery and have not been reported to cause damage. Good luck! And the lack of sleep you get now is NOTHING compared to the lack of sleep with a newborn!! Consider all this insomnia "training"! I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazzaz
Hello,

We're looking forward to starting a family soon - my only concern is that I've read that pregnancy can make RLS/PLMD much worse (or even show up for the first time in women who had never previously experienced it). Chronic sleep deprivation makes the best of us feel pretty insane - and it's not the state I want to be in as I welcome a new baby home!

I already have a pretty severe case, for which I take mirapex. I understand that I will probably have to quit the mirapex during pregnancy - and the only alternative I've seen suggested during pregnancy is methadone - which doesn't sound good.

What have other soon-to-be or current moms found helpful for managing RLS/PLMD during pregancy?

Thanks ~ Z

Old 11-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
(female)

Zazzaz HB User
Thanks for the comments.

Mirapex is a class C medication, which means that animal test have indicated that it might be a problem during pregnancy - but that no studies have been done to confirm its effect one way or another.

I saw an OB/GYN last week. He told me that as long as I stop taking the Mirapex at the very first chance after conception (basically, 2.5 weeks after ovulation that results in conception), that it shouldn't effect the baby in any way. But he really stressed his belief that there was only a 2.5 week window of opportunity in which you could safely stop taking the med. He thought the timing was really essental, because of the develpmental timeline of the baby. Given how critical the 2.5 week period is, he recommended that I use a basal thermometer when I'm trying to conceive, so that I know exactly when I'm ovulating, and I know to take a pregancy test at the right time. Of course, this idea hinges upon Mirapex being cleared out of the body in 24 hours after the final dose is taken.

So, it sounds like staying on the med. while tring to get pregnant is OK, so long as you know to go of it as the first sign of conception. I'm glad to hear that some have had OK experiences with staying on the med through out pregnacy, as well. Personally, I'm not very comfortable with staying on it while pregnant. And I'm not sure about having it in my system while trying to conceive either. I've noticed that when I go off the Mirapex, it takes about two full weeks for the effects to wear off. I don't think it's cleared in 24 hours. So I think that even if I stopped taking it at the 2.5 week mark, it would linger in my body past the critical time, and possibly cause problems in the fetal development.

I'm just not sure what's best. I really do not look forward to being unmedicated. I don't actually have much of a problem with RLS, I have more of a problem with PLMD. The PLMD makes me move around all night, so I always wake up really stiff, sore, and exhausted. When I'm not medicated, I have no stamina and I feel stiff, sore, and exhausted all day. But I guess I'd rather deal with nine months of severe RLS/PLMD than potentially harming the baby. I just don't know how seriously to take the effect of the Mirapex.

I'd still appreciate hearing from others who have thought this through.

Thanks ~ Z

Old 04-18-2004, 07:56 AM   #5
(female)

Zazzaz HB User
Re: Managing RLS / PLMD during pregnancy

Hi,

I'm bumping this thread because I'm still hoping for more info. Any one else have any ideas?

Thanks for your help ~ Z

Old 05-07-2004, 10:33 AM   #6

raylee HB User

Hi, I just found out I am pregnant. I have been on 1,200 mg. neurontin for the last several years, and it works great. Now my docs tell me I have to quit. I tried last night, I just about went insane! At 4:30am I couldn't take it any longer I took one 600 mg. I felt extremely guilty and scared of the potential effects on the baby. Neurontin is a class c drug. I just don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be great. I just can't handle not sleeping all night long, night after night. And I do have to work during the day. Thanks

Old 05-23-2004, 02:53 PM   #7

doety0510 HB User

Hi Zazzaz: I think you're so wise to be careful.
When I was pregnant (many moons ago), I stayed up until early morning. Luckily, I wasn't working and could sleep in. When my daugher was pregnant, she did the same thing, except that she was working, was cranky and pretty much still is. Here's my only advice: Be sure you get the correct diagnosis. We usually diagnose ourselves. Once I learned the name, I was sure I had a major case. Even when docs urged a sleep study, I resisted, thinking I know what I've got -- leave me alone and give me some pills. A year ago, I relented, did a home sleep test and it turns out I have some RLS and some sleep apnea. The doc put me on Mirapex for RLS and a breathing machine for the apnea. My God, what a miracle -- now I look forward to going to bed. I've heard there are 100s of sleep disorders -- there could be a possibility you have something else that could be treated and help some. Sure wish you luck.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Have you doctor do a intracellular test for low magnesium. It HAS to be intracellular, serum testis no good for this. Spectracell in Houston can do this. Insurance will cover the test cost. Read up on low magnesium and RLS, also Preclampsia during pregnancy. Preclampsia is due to low magnesium. RLS can also be due to low magnesium.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:34 AM   #9
(female)

Zazzaz HB User

Hey there,

Congrats on the pregnancy, raylee.

Thanks for the info, doety0510 and finres. I think I do have an accurate diagnosis, because it's based on an overnight sleep study (and a thorough history). Most docs seem to think a CBC is all they need to do, but I agree with finres that I should get things like Mg checked. I'm working on it, but it's one thing at a time, you know? Right now, the side effects from the Mirapex are so bad that I'm focusing on trying to get through the day without having severe nausea. Morning sickness should be a breeze after what I've dealt with with the Mirapex.

Anyway, I'm going to start lowering my dosages of all the medications I'm on very soon, and eventually, I won't be taking any of the meds I'm used to. That should be interesting. I guess I'll have to try to manage symptoms through exersize and mineral/vitamin suppliments. I just keep telling myself it'll only be 9 months... then I can go back on the meds. Sometimes pregnancy alleviates symptoms. I'm not betting on it, but who knows?

~ Z

Last edited by Zazzaz; 05-24-2004 at 06:35 AM.

Old 05-31-2004, 10:13 PM   #10
(female)

Michele12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finres
Have you doctor do a intracellular test for low magnesium. It HAS to be intracellular, serum testis no good for this. Spectracell in Houston can do this. Insurance will cover the test cost. Read up on low magnesium and RLS, also Preclampsia during pregnancy. Preclampsia is due to low magnesium. RLS can also be due to low magnesium.
I agree!

Old 06-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #11
(female)

Michele12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finres
Preclampsia is due to low magnesium. RLS can also be due to low magnesium.
Woow! I had preclampsia right after I gave birth. NOW I know what that was from. That's really serious and the dr. was like oh well the swelling will probably go down. They of course didn't say to take magnesium, most dr.s are so clueless.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #12

PETALS HB User

My Situation Was A Bit Differrent Than Yours. My Rls Started When I Became Pg With My 2nd Son. He Is Now 7. I Also Have Daughter 3yrs. Rls Showed Up During This Pg Also. As Soon As The Kids Were Born The Rls Went Away. I Suffered 2 Miscarages. One Before Daughter, And One After. The Rls Is Now Plmd As Well.it Did Not Go Awayafter The Loss.i Also Take Mirapex.i Recently Switched From Reqiup.

My Ob/gyn At That Time Had No Idea What I Was Trying To Explain. I Was Not Even Aware Of The Diagnoises Rls. The Only Thing That Would Help Me Was To Take A Hot Bath. I Would Only Put Enough Water To Cover The Back Side Of My Legs. Being Pg, You Need To Be Careful, Not To Get Heat Around Your Belly. I Would Go To Right To Bed And Hopefully Go To Sleep Before My Legs Cooled Off.

I Hope They Can Med You Safely. Sorry I Don't Have A Solid Answer For You Re: Meds, But Unlike My Experiance, Your Docs Are Aware Of The Rls And Understand It. These Symtoms Are Hard Enough To Explain As It Is.

Good Luck On Your Journey!!
Petals

Closed Thread