It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2003, 09:08 AM   #1

SGinDallas HB User
Post Restless arm syndrome?

I'm not sure if my condition is in the same category as restless leg syndrome, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar happen.

Lately when I'm laying in bed my right arm feels strange. It's not painful or anything. The best way I can describe it is that I'm just aware of it, I can feel it there. I can't feel any other part of my body except that arm. If I let it sit too long I feel like I have to move it, flex it, anything to get rid of that irritating feeling. A lot of times I can get up and play on the computer or read or something and go back to bed 30 minutes or an hour later and it'll be better. Sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes it does.

Any idea on what this is? Any response would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2003, 12:17 PM   #2

Bigheart HB User
Do you have RLS? it sounds like it, i have had RLS all my life but in the last 14 years is has gotten much worse meds don't work well. and when i have a spell in the truck riding or driving it effects my arms really bad i look like someone having a fit trying to move my limbs to find comfort,i feel like if i don't get out soon i will go crazy. I to just found this board, and am looking for help as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I have RLS and on a rare occasion I'll feel it in my arms and also my lower back.

Old 06-30-2003, 02:00 PM   #4

WeedReed HB User
I have the same problem, I have the feeling just as you described in my right arm and right leg. It is almost unbearable sometimes. It comes and goes in severity, trying to find some solution also.

Old 07-01-2003, 08:36 PM   #5

VeryOldLady HB User
I got that frequently. It made me want to rub my forearms and hands and draw them real tight to my body and then flex them back out.

After taking a 24 hour bus ride from DC to Southern Alabama (couldn't get any southern) last year, my restless legs and arms were real bad and this was the worst I had ever felt my arms like this. I felt bad because I couldn't even sit still when my FIL was trying to talk to us in the living room. I finally went to bed because I didn't want him seeing me writhing in distress like that.

I never had any problems like this before I injured my back.

[This message has been edited by VeryOldLady (edited 07-01-2003).]

Old 07-03-2003, 03:28 AM   #6

Zash HB User
I used to have RLS. I just started having this Restless Arm thing as I'm typing this. I was asleep in bed and I woke up and kept tossing and turning and so that's where I am at now. Just trying to get rid of this dang thing. I've never had RLS last this long and bother me THIS much. I just want to cut my arm off. It's only my left arm? Anyone know why I am all of a sudden getting RAS?

Old 07-21-2003, 02:33 AM   #7

luminous HB User
You may have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD). Are your legs or other parts of your body agitated as well? Does this feeling wake you up in the night? I think the main distinction between RLS and PMLD is that you can have RLS when awake or asleep, but PLMD only when asleep. I have been known to wake myself up because my arms are straight up in the air as I lie in bed, or because I've just smacked my poor husband with a flailing arm.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
I have frequent bouts with both restless legs and arms. The only thing that helps me get some rest is to lay on a cool/cold floor. Carpeting makes it worse but once I'm laid out on the floor I suddenly settle down. I usually grab a comforter and wrap up in it sorta like a sleeping bag. Good luck to you all.

------------------
Gina

Old 08-01-2003, 11:06 PM   #9

Dean J HB User
My problems started in my early 20's with hot feet, which turned into RLS in my feet and ankles, and now in my mid 30's it's moved into my knees and elbows, now it also seems to be moving into my wrists?

caffiene seems to make it worse, so I need to stop with caffiene after lunch. I take Mirapex and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Man it's tough to look forward to another 40 or 50 years of this!

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of it going away?

Old 08-01-2003, 11:09 PM   #10

Dean J HB User
OH one more thing..... Remember that this isn't muscles.... it's nerves.

Cooling down does seem to help mine also. When I was single and could keep my bedroom at about 60 degrees I didn't have any problems.

Don't expect good results from a regular doctor.... go to a neurologist!

Old 10-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #11

ASAxolotl HB User
It was comforting to read all this, I thought I was losing my mind. I spend a good part of my day vigorously shaking out my right arm to get it to "stop," whatever it is it's doing, which is primarily making me nuts.

I have done a great deal of research on RLS (I am a medical editor and have written several programs on insomnia), as well as discussed "restless arm" with some of my consultants.

I have learned that this irritating phenomenon can be due to iron deficiency or secondary to medications that have extrapyramidal symptoms (like Desyrel) or secondary to meds like SSRI antidepressants. There are some data in the medical literature as well, linking restless arm movements (RAM) with RLS (Chabli A, Michaud M, Montplaisir J. "Periodic arm movements in patients with the restless legs syndrome." Eur Neurol. 2000;44(3):133-8), concluding than more than the lumbar region of the spine may be involved.

All the education in the world doesn't make it any less maddening, though. If anyone has any other hints for dealing with it, I'd love to hear them. I am given to understand that some anti-Parkinsonian medications (e.g., Mirapex, Requip) have been effective in controlling symptoms, but I have not tried them. And the big caveat, of course, is that I am only an editor (albeit one with a flailing arm), not a doctor, and you should obviously see your doctor if you've got a problem!

Thank you!

Old 10-08-2003, 01:06 PM   #12

Bodendo HB User
ASAxolotl

I was put on Myrapex for RLS by my neuro. It did the trick for the most part, but man I awas out of it while I was on it. I'm telling you It was spaaaacy! And not in any knid of good way. I decided I'd rather deal with the RLS than the meds but then agian as all the doctors say "diferent people react differently to medications." What I foud works best for me is the treadmill! I just run the RLS right out of me. I hit the stationary track for a solid 1/2 hr, then I can hit the sack. I just don't feel the symtoms as bad when my muscles are tired, even though RLS is a nerve thing.

Old 10-10-2003, 03:24 AM   #13

guyinca HB User
I was just put on Mirapex for RLS as well, up to .50 mg now and haven't noticed any difference. I share you dark outlook for the future....I don't look forward to being stuck on weird medicines for something that is so annoying and even sounds dumb

Old 10-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #14

MargieRuth HB User
Isn't it awful? I just posted a note on "Question" which has to do with RLS. I take Klonopin at bedtime but it doesn't alway work. The problem is once in a great while my whole body is like that. I can't lay still in bed and am up all night. Last night was that way. Doc doesn't know what it is. I do have Polycythemia Vera blood disease and Spondylolithesis and 2 herniated discs of the lumbar spine. I have blood work done regularly and take pain med for the back pain. Most of the time I'm o.k. but when that restlessness happens, I want to scream. Instead, I sit at the computer for awhile. But last night nothing worked. Maggie

Old 10-21-2003, 07:22 PM   #15

manpangle HB User
I am not sure what I have is RLS. It sounds very similar to what is described here. I have had the condition since very young. My brother also has it. I would frequently have a uncomfortable sensation around my lower rib cage and collar bones, sometimes in my arms. It feels like something is crawling inside, or as if someone was tickling me. cannot sit still. sometimes I have troule sleeping.
Does anyone have similar experience? any information is appreciated.

Closed Thread