It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
(female)

MSarah HB User
Restless legs + arm, seeing doctor

Hi all,

I've come here to share my story in the hope that it might be helpful to others. I'd also like to hear what you have to say. About two months ago I decided to give up coffee, and this is when all my problems started.

I had been drinking a coffee every day for the last 5 or so years, I'm 20 years old (female). When I stopped my arm suddenly felt heavy, restless, and uncomfortable; it was quite bad, not painful, but I couldn't get to sleep. After putting up with it for a month I went to the doctor. I had a blood test, CT scan of the brain, and an x-ray. At this time I thought I was experiencing restless legs in my arm.

Everything looked normal. My blood test checked for all the normal things, Thyroid stimulating hormone, and Ferritin. My Ferritin was at 35. I had already read a few articles about restless legs sufferers needing at least Ferritin 50. My doctor didn't think it was restless legs, she said that it doesn't happen in the arm. She scheduled me to see a neurologist.

The neurologist ordered another blood test and a brain MRI. Now, since I had to wait a month for the MRI, a lot of things happened to me. First of all, my legs became restless. Day and night, always good in the morning, horrible at night, the only thing that helped was a hot shower. For three weeks I tried to get rid of my restless legs:
- still no caffeine
- magnesium 400-500mg elemental/day
- iron/B12/folic acid/Vit C (pre-natal vitamin with only 10mg of iron)
- moderate exercise during the day
- drinking heaps of water

Nothing really helped. I'm not overweight, I'm not unhealthy, I'm young and fit and have a BMI of 19. I don't know why this was happening to me. After three weeks I gave up and thought, well, if I didn't have this problem before, then I'm going to go back to the way things were. I've been having coffee again this past week. It helped a little bit at first, but now my legs are STILL restless.

Today I had the blood test (I think he's looking for more thyroid problems) and the MRI. Next week I'm seeing the neurologist and hopefully something will come of it. What do you think is wrong with me? Will the MRI help find an answer?

If all else fails I'm going to try iron supplements....I'm thinking it's my Ferritin 35 that is causing this, but I'm not a doctor

I'm just tired of this. I have really hot feet at night, so although a hot shower right before bed is good for my legs, it irritates my feet too. In any case, I just want to get rid of the symptoms of RLS...during the day it's really frustrating too

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading though !

The Following User Says Thank You to MSarah For This Useful Post:
anavay (07-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread