It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
(male)

Thunderbolt HB User
Restless Leg Syndrome Study

I'm actually participating in a study on RLS that is being done at a local research clinic. A medication is being tested in lower doses for the treatment of RLS. I've been given three bottles of tablets and am to take one from each before bedtime. At least one is suppose to be the drug and at least one a placebo, or all three could be a placebo, the doctor and staff don't even know which is which. Began taking them two nights ago and it is effective and helps me to sleep better as well, but the most amazing thing is an elevated mood when I get out of bed in the morning, I've been very gloomy in the mornings as of late, but none since taking these tablets. The drug in question is Gabapentin which I understand is actually used by mental patients, but also for RLS; so maybe it has mood elevating properties?

Oh, and I get paid 50 dollars for every appointment.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
(male)

kanut HB User
Cool Re: Restless Leg Syndrome Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I'm actually participating in a study on RLS that is being done at a local research clinic. A medication is being tested in lower doses for the treatment of RLS. I've been given three bottles of tablets and am to take one from each before bedtime. At least one is suppose to be the drug and at least one a placebo, or all three could be a placebo, the doctor and staff don't even know which is which. Began taking them two nights ago and it is effective and helps me to sleep better as well, but the most amazing thing is an elevated mood when I get out of bed in the morning, I've been very gloomy in the mornings as of late, but none since taking these tablets. The drug in question is Gabapentin which I understand is actually used by mental patients, but also for RLS; so maybe it has mood elevating properties?

Oh, and I get paid 50 dollars for every appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome Study

I take100mg of gabapentin about 2-3 hrs before bed. and it does help the RLS some. That is the lowest dose, but I can't take 300mg as it makes me too groggy in AM. It is an anticonvulsant, and is used a lot for neuropathy pain as well. I have a lot of nighttime pain from arthritis which makes the RLS that much more intolerable as every movement hurts and I CAN'T STOP MOVING! I am taking iron, calcium and Mg++, Vit D, B12, folic acid for neuropathy. Any other ideas?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
(male)

kanut HB User

Doc told me that the reason for my RLS was allergen related, stress, breathing. If I cant sleep I dont rest and muscles are tired, over time it can wreck me pretty good.

I did a sleep study that put me on a CPAP machine, its basically a constant air pressure as I was not breathing right when I went to sleep in addition to the constant movements with the legs and arms.

Clonezepam helped me get through those bouts, I also used a sports cream, sorbine jr on muscle areas to kinda relax em a bit.

Hot showers helped alot too.

I had to stop taking certain meds though, they were making RLS worse. Things like anti depressants, antihistamines, whole bunch I dont even take now, I tend to stay away from chemicals mostly.

I take a d3 and magnesium which helps me. I take the 250mg magnesium one not the one with 400 and the zinc chileate. Pharmacist told me to do that. Worked liek a charm.

In addition to stretching routines, every morning and before bed, meds at the same time every night, I watch my foods as those can cause problems, caffeine, chocalates, sodas. I just drink bottled water and am trying out Smart Water, which has electrolytes and magnesium in it. Hoping that works so I can cut back on the klonipin use.

Stress release is important also, some kind of exercise, whether its just walking or going to a pool, pick something that you can have fun with, look forward to doing etc.

I chose photography as it gets me out in nature and I take snaps of things I see. Something completely different to what I used to do. I keep covered up though from the sun, cant stand getting burned for some reason.

I keep a low carb diet going but I would talk to your doc before doin anythin like that.

I found my RLS is a combination factor, one thing led to another and another etc. Once I started getting control of it, thats when I talked to doc about stopping the antidepressants and stuff, things just got easier over time and now down to just 2 pills vice 15 as before.

I hope this helps you and good luck!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
(male)

Thunderbolt HB User

I'm a week and a half into the study. I am having some RLS symptoms on most nights as it turns out; only a few nights where either I don't have it or maybe I'm sleeping through it like last night. There was one night where I had to treat it with my heating pad which is effective. I've tried magnesium which many people swear by, but it hasn't worked for me.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I decided to try 200mg of gabapentin (Neurontin) tonight to see if I can finally get some sleep. As you can see many of my posts are between 1 and 4 AM, when I finally give up on sleeping and get up for a few hrs. I do think the Sinemet (Levodopa/Carbidopa) at bedtime helps some, so maybe with constant tweaking I will find the magic formula that works. Now that we're into fall, the nasty cold fronts and storms are coming which make all this worse. Colorado has big swings in barometric pressure which really sets the arthritis and RLS off.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
(female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User

Funny. I deduced that low Potassium was casing my RL symptoms.
I eat a banana each night, and the symptoms vanished

The Following User Says Thank You to FarmGirl31 For This Useful Post:
ladybud (10-13-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

I can not find my post so it must have crashed into cyberspace.

Now to my post. I have been through decades of severe lumbar pain and RLS (so severe I was ready to eat a bullet, but I am a Christian so that was out). I tried ropinerole and sinemet, both of which worked, but only for a few hours so there was no such thing as a good nights sleep.

A very long story short... I am now on 90mgs/day of Methadone. I am 90% pain free and 100% free of RLS.

Good luck with the studies and God bless..........

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeh66 For This Useful Post:
OhioGuy22 (11-05-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
(female)

catluvr2 HB User

I suffered from RLS for over 20 years before finding out what it was. A sleep study showed that it was waking me up all through the night. The doctor put me on Mirapex, which I now call the miracle drug. I take it everynight before going to bed. If I miss a night of taking the Mirapex, the RLS starts up again. The drug doesn't have any side effects on me and I don't think I could survive without it.

The Following User Says Thank You to catluvr2 For This Useful Post:
OhioGuy22 (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
(male)

OhioGuy22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeh66 View Post
I can not find my post so it must have crashed into cyberspace.

Now to my post. I have been through decades of severe lumbar pain and RLS (so severe I was ready to eat a bullet, but I am a Christian so that was out). I tried ropinerole and sinemet, both of which worked, but only for a few hours so there was no such thing as a good nights sleep.

A very long story short... I am now on 90mgs/day of Methadone. I am 90% pain free and 100% free of RLS.

Good luck with the studies and God bless..........
Interesting. I read about Methadone and maybe my doctor would prescribe this because it's not really a natural narcotic. Regulations are cracking down on doctors prescribing anything in the narcotic family without good cause. Because I have RLS and not really "pain" I doubt he will but I'm certainly going to try. Nothing else seems to work and he won't give me Vicodin. Go figure!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

Good luck and God bless

Reply Reply