It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
(male)

samaj320 HB User
New member with RLS...

So a little background.

I'm a 25 year old male, with 24/7 RLS symptoms. Daytime or night time it doesn't really matter, I can be perfectly fine one minute then the next I would rather cut my leg off. It seems to be localised to the right leg only, and it feels almost as if the circulation is being limited.

The best way I can describe it:

Basically it feels like I have a shoe string tied around my upper thigh and it is tied really tight cutting off most of the circulation in my right leg. The left leg feels fine.
Every now and then, it feels like someone would remove the shoe string and I experience a "warmth" down my leg and the RLS symptoms seem to almost disappear.

Early RLS symptoms started about 6-7 months ago and were not that bad to begin with. I initially would get a sensation in my right leg and I had to move it. After a couple cycles of having to move my leg it would go away. It progressively got worse and worse until the RLS "tension" is there no matter what I do. Stretching and doing minor leg oriented exercises before bed used to work wonders, but as of late its not helping at all.

I have no health conditions, I'm not on any prescription meds and I don't really take that many OTC meds. Other than the occasional Ibuprofen.

Here's a list of things I've tried to help or alleviate the RLS, but have all failed:

- Exercise. It used to work doing it just before bed, but seems to have lost its effect.
- Stretching. Again, it used to work but now it does absolutely nothing.
- Iron supplements. I've been taking 1 65mg pill for three days and I so far nothing.
- Folic acid
- Vitamin B6 - B12
- Calcium
- Magnesium
- Zinc
- Centrum vitamins
- Tums
- Tylenol
- Ibuprofen
- Warm baths / Cold baths. Neither work.
- Elevating legs.
- Massaging the entire leg.
- Stop consuming caffeine
- I rarely drink alcohol

Overall the symptoms seem to be completely random. I cannot pinpoint any one thing that seems to cause or help it other than Ambien. Ambien (10mg) seems to almost eliminate the RLS all together, even reducing the RLS feeling during the day by roughly 75% or so.
If I do not take an Ambien at bed time, the symptoms or RLS appear shortly after I lay down and continue throughout the entire day.

At this point I'm willing to try almost anything, but I'm out of ideas on what to even try at this point. Any suggestions at all would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Last edited by samaj320; 10-24-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

Sabbathblood HB User
Re: New member with RLS...

I suffer from RL too & as odd as it sounds (I honestly thought he was winding me up!) my GP (who also suffers with it) told me 2 try wearing silk socks or stockings 2 bed. Gotta give him his due, it does seem 2 have helped in my case, so I would say it's worth a try.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Re: New member with RLS...

Many with RLS, believe it or not, get relief by placing a bar (or a few bars) of soap on their sheets or in their socks at night when sleeping. The body absorbs the sodium chloride and other ingred. and it somehow helps some people. I know this sounds ridiculous but do an online search and you will be surprised at the positive outcome for many. I'm going to try it this week.

Reply Reply