HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Restless Leg Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/)
-   -   Going crazy from RLS! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/927947-going-crazy-rls.html)

Isotope 11-17-2012 08:02 AM

Going crazy from RLS!

Hello Friends,

I'm new to this condition. When seeing ads for RLS treatments I always thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard and now.... I seem to have it! I would say it feels more like restless BODY syndrome. My entire body feels like it has been invaded by the 'creeps'. I'm twitching and moving and shifting and desperately trying to escape my physical form.

I fall asleep fine then at about 3-4am in the morning I realize I am squirming and the covers are all over the place, once awake it only worsens to the point that I have to get up and shake my limbs furiously while jogging in a circle. I can't seem to go back to sleep or even stay in the bed at that point. Occasionally it resolves about 5 minutes before my alarm goes off.... ugghh. I'm exhausted from it and troubled by how it makes me feel. I think if I was was paralyzed and unable to move that I would surely go insane.

Bottom line, what is the best therapy and what dose. Gabapentin, Pramipexole, or Ropinirole?

Many Thanks!

Iso~

defcon 11-17-2012 02:03 PM

Re: Going crazy from RLS!

I'm new to the board as of an hour ago. I don't suffer from RLS, and my information may not be new here, but just in case.....

I was watching a show on this topic about four months back on CNN that was hosted by Dr. Sanjay. Gupta. Dr. Gupta reported on some 'new' science with respect to RLS. As crazy as it may sound, apparently researchers have learned that simple masturbation will provide the relief sought.

Isotope 11-17-2012 08:53 PM

Ah, a joke.... Ummm, the last thing most sufferers are in the mood for at 4am as they are thrashing away at the covers is some sort intimate encounter with the self.... I'm usually crawling out of my skin not trying to 'get into it' Dig?

My RLS has a wonderful habit of resolving slightly about 10 minutes before my alarm goes off, makes for a great day of energy and smiles all around... not!

Iso~

Isotope 01-11-2013 09:57 AM

Hello Friends,

After taking Gabapentin for a while and having no relief from this RLS my Doctor finally prescribed Mirapex, 0.125 t.i.d. Sounds like a very low dose? Is that a common starting dose? I'm already a somewhat compulsive personality; should I hide my credit cards and stay away from Poker games?

I also read that Mirapex is being used off-label for some mood disorders. Has anyone noticed any benefits in that area? I have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and I'm hoping that Mirapex doesn't make it worse. I do have Klonopin on hand in the event that anxiety ramps up.

thnks

Iso~

Dandy33 01-13-2013 07:43 AM

[SIZE="2"]You have my greatest sympathy...it's the most awful thing to deal with..and as for the bod who thinks jokes are suitable he needs his head examined!!
I only get RLS if I take antidepressants which my doctor has tried to prescribe me on numerous occasions. I wonder if there is something that you are taking or perhaps eating that is causing this distressing symptom?[/SIZE]

flintrock 01-13-2013 02:26 PM

My husband's RLS stopped when he started using CPAP machine. ;).

Isotope 01-13-2013 09:06 PM

Hello-

It's been hard to pinpoint the cause -could be Cipro, Prednisone, Atarax, or ? The Gaba wasn't cutting it, but so far the Mirapex (Pramipexole) is a good thing. No RLS events since I started taking it! Yaay! Now I'm hoping to benefit from some of its other off-label uses as far as my mood disorder/s. The downside is possible shopping binges, wild sex cravings and other 'reward' related behaviors. Mirapex is a Dopamine Agonist so there should be some 'feel-good' associated with taking it. I'm only taking 0.125mg a day which may be too low to realize the mood enhancing aspects.

What is an average dose? Do different doses provide different effects?

Iso~

Menorest 01-14-2013 05:56 AM

Hi Isotope,

I have just joined this message board as someone who has had RLS for quite some time now.

I have been using Mirapexin. a low dose, 0.08mg which me doctor advises me as a good starting dose but I am able to take more than the prescribed dose if the symptoms become overwhelming as they do from time to time. The doctor just prescribes me more tablets if I have had to use more. He prefers to do it this way rather than increase the basic dose.

However, now and again the problem really flares up and these last few days have been a nightmare for me. It's settling down now but have had very little sleep over the past four days. When it flares up like that, the mirapexin is no help at all.

Normally the Mirapexin does a very good job for me.

The last time I had a bad attack like this was a couple of years ago when I was on holiday in Florida. It spoilt that holiday for a few days!!

I hope that this is of some help to you and can get you some relief fro mthis horrible problem.

Kind regards.
Frank.