HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Restless Leg Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/)
-   -   RLS and Bad Back (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/928992-rls-bad-back.html)

anotherpatty 11-25-2012 10:54 AM

RLS and Bad Back

I'm convinced my RLS is from my spine trouble. Does anyone else think their back problems contribute to or cause their RLS? Thanks

welzer26 11-26-2012 07:55 AM

Re: RLS and Bad Back

I'm not sure if there is a connection, but this is what I do know. For many yrs I have had neuropathy, and it increased from major back surgery. It was much later that I came down with RLS......I believe there is a direct correlation with my Neuropathy and RLS. Do you have any other afflications ?? Hope this has been of some help.

anotherpatty 11-26-2012 10:32 AM

Yes, had 7 foot neuroma surgeries, was hit by a car as a pedestrian in 1986 and my back has never been the same. I think there is a back connnection for some. Thanks!

heath84 11-26-2012 01:40 PM

Maybe fibromyalgia with rls they seem to be connected

anotherpatty 11-26-2012 03:08 PM

Yes. I have fibro too. Well, I wish you the best and the best for all of those with health problems!

davis0504 11-26-2012 03:15 PM

I suffer from restless leg syndrome too. When I have a flare up I put on a pair of TED hose (knee highs) or a very tight pair of support hose. The compression really relieves the symptoms immediately and I can get to sleep.

nals39 11-27-2012 04:35 AM

I have had RLS for at least 10 years now. I also have had 2 major back surgeries. During my stay at the hospital during both surgeries, i had a terrible time with my RLS. I really believe my bad back problems has set my RLS off. I still have problems with my RLS even though i do take medicine for it. Sometimes the medicine works, sometimes it don't. I wish i could give u better news, or more encouraging news.

nals39 11-27-2012 04:39 AM

[QUOTE=davis0504;5094987]I suffer from restless leg syndrome too. When I have a flare up I put on a pair of TED hose (knee highs) or a very tight pair of support hose. The compression really relieves the symptoms immediately and I can get to sleep.[/QUOTE]
I have never heard of TED hose working before. Thankyou so much for the info, I will definitely try it the next time i have a flare up. Do u know if there is something particular that sets yours off?? I wish I knew if there was something I could do to keep it from flaring up.

anna2012 11-30-2012 09:58 PM

Just off hand, I read at least one study where infrared was used to treat RLS. I do remember reading some info saying that RLS is associated with leg veins deteriorating/not working very well. That would explain why compression hose would help. Makes sense.

Anyway, my point is that infrared light, especially from infrared laser diodes (which you can purchase for at-home use) is known to make tissue repair itself faster. It could be that the effects in the study above were due to infrared light making the leg veins repair themselves faster, leading to relief.

The infrared light used for tissue repair is classified as "near-infrared". In the study above, they say the light was "monochromatic", so that implies it was laser light. Like I said, you can buy low level laser devices for home use. They are usually marketed for pain relief and tissue repair. However, it's worth noting that a simple infrared heat lamp could do the job- $12 at the hardware store. It is not as strong, but I use it for other applications (speed wound healing, relieve pain, keep my rosacea at bay and get rid of wrinkles) and it works for me.

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon.

pebblebeach3 12-02-2012 05:25 AM

Hi all. I've posted to the board but under other areas and came across this section & wanted to post.

Last night & it wasnt the first time I had what I think was a sign of restless leg syndrome.

First of all my history:

- lumbar surgery 1994;
- cervical surgery 1995;
- lumbar surgery with harrington rods 1997;
- cervical surgery with harrington rods 2000;
- blood clot surgery left leg 2003;
- pancreatic surgery 2007;
- spinal cord stimulator implanted 2006 & removed 2011

Other issues:
- diabetic;
- absent left kidney congenital; kidney disease
- EMG showed peripheral neuropathy; severe nerve damage neck/low back and arthritis neck/low back

Upcome surgery:
- Intractable Pain Pump scheduled for 12/11/12 trial pump

symptoms:

Last night I had a tingling sensation while lying down in bed in my legs & arms; a weakness type of feeling in arms and legs and feeling that I couldn't or didnt want to keep my arms or legs still. I had the need to move my limbs.

I also have neck issues at the move which I know is causing weakness in my arms.

So I took my pain medication hydrocodone and tizanidine. Eventually things calmed down. But last night was not the first time that I had the feelings especially in my leg.

The little that I googled it appears that the sensations while usually affect the legs can affect other parts of the body as well.

Not sure if all my history is connected and if it is RLS but sounds similar. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

capatga 12-02-2012 07:02 AM

My doctor prescribed Primedone ,works great also for myclonic jerks .