It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
Rls while sleeping?

I just had a sleep study done and was absolutely stunned by the findings. First the doctor said I am moving my legs in the night and they associated this movements with episodes of sleep disruption. I think this must be muscle spasms of some sort because I've never noticed this, generally don't wake up from muscle cramps and no one has ever told me that I kick them etc. So I was really surprised. He wants me to try a drug which is prescribed for Parkinson's disease (which I forget the name of - the pharmacy has to order it) but its a 6 week course (morning and noon) gradually increasing the dosage, the theory being hopefully that this will cut down this leg movements in the night and the resulting sleep disruption. I wish I had the name but does this sound familiar to anyone? I do notice during the day I often want to jiggle my leg up and down while sitting (usually the right), but its nothing that I really thought about. Is this RLS?

I was also diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea which really scared me though he said my oxegyn was good, the lowest it went to was 92. My episodes of wakening due to sleep apnea were much less as opposed to my episodes of leg movement which is why he said he wanted to focus on my leg movement first and then try tackle the sleep apnea.

Anyways just curious about people's experience with RLS at night.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
(male)

nellyd HB User
Re: Rls while sleeping?

Hi,

I too get very bad involuntary jerking while sleeping, it sometimes wakes me but more often wakes my fiancee as she is woken by me kicking and jerking about in my sleep.

If i dont self medicate just before bed it is much worse and one or both of us have a terrible sleep and one of us ends up going downstairs so we can both sleep. Not a good solution, having to sleep apart from your soon to be wife!

The only thing I have found to work is between 60mg and 90mg of codeine which must do something to block the twitching

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
(male)

briane HB User

just kinda going thru these postings and found this. I have the same trouble with my legs at night.when falling asleep and while sleeping. The jerking and twitching really bothers my wife also. i do not take any meds for this, dont really like taking stuff. my legs seem to be worse depending on my activity thru the day and how long i settle down before i goto bed. over the past couple of weeks i been spending 5-10 min on our eliptical maching . Going very slow not to increase breathing. that has worked the best for me. I did some searches and they all agreed that the twitching was a result of our brains still trying to continue to operate our bodies after we lay down. so the lite exercise seems to take away the need to keep moving. hope this helps some one! And turn off the TV and phones 30 min before going to bed also....helps shut the brain off!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
(male)

nellyd HB User

Hi briane, could it of been mirapex or ropinerole? From what you say it sounds like you suffer from RLS as it makes you feel the need to move your legs to relieve the sensation. I am awaiting an appointment with neurologist in July to hopefully find me some relief from my night time jerking and kicking. My wife says its like I get electic shocks and it wakes her up as I'm jumping about in my sleep. Anyway, I hope the pills they give you work and you find some relief

Reply Reply