It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

Luvlucy223 HB User
Angry Restless legs worsening is antidepressant reason?

I am 54 and have had RLS since I was about 13 (back then no one heard of RLS but I had all the symptoms). I currently take 4mg. of Requip , I take Atenolol (BP) and Lexapro (antidepressant). I have noticed in the last 4-5 months the RLS starts earlier now by 3:00 in the afternoon and so I take 2 mg. and then the other 2 mg later and it just seems to not work anymore. Could this be from any other meds I am on - I sleep less then 5 hours a night from this. HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Restless legs worsening is antidepressant reason?

Hi and welcome. You may be experiencing augmentation, a phenomenon that caused the medication effect that once helped, to no longer work. When that happens, a change in med is usually required to give you relief again. Were either of your other meds started about the same time- 4-5 months ago? The timing would be important. I would see your neurologist and see what he/she suggests. Are you taking calcium or magnesium an hour or two before bed? That seems to help a lot of us RLS sufferers. Also avoiding caffeine and alcohol as that often triggers it if consumed late in day. I hope you get some other responses with ideas. It is indeed a miserable problem to put up with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

Luvlucy223 HB User

Thanks for your response. Lexapro for about 1 1/2 months, Atenolol 3 years. I do not take calcium or magnesium. It (RLS) getting worse - may need to change med I have been on Requip forever so could be what you said about not working any longer!
Thanks.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
(female)

Luvlucy223 HB User

Hi and thanks for responding. I have been on the Atenol for approximately 4 years and the Lexapro for about 1 1/2 months. The Requip is not working as well and could be from what you said about my system becoming immune to it. I do not take either calcium or magnesium - do they help and how many milligrams should I take?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
(female)

MissHelen HB User

I hope you find something to work again. I've been on Neurontin a long time, maybe 12+ years. I had been on 900 mg and in 2010 they upped it to 1200. It was working just fine and about two months ago it's not helping. It's so frustrated. I have 2.5 months until I get Medicare and I'm going to find a neurologist. Did you have any side effects from the requip? It concerns me because it's for Parkinsons.

I also talk Amitryptlyne and that helps to some degree with the leg pains. I also have diabetic leg pain from neuropathy. I also take Ambien and without that I'd never sleep.

Good luck with finding out what else works. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
(female)

Elizabeth804 HB UserElizabeth804 HB User

Miss Helen, I took Neurontin for a long time and finally realized it wasn't doing a darned thing. I am also taking Amitryptlyne. However, I have had less muscle pain since I began taking Magnesium = 2 tablets at night. It has made a big difference for me and it can't hurt to try it. I am familiar with ambian; but I was recently changed from Effexor 150 mg. (for the past 12 years and recently was changed to Cymbalta = 30 mg. and I am doing better.

I lived in Maryland for many years, and I would suggest you research the neurologists at Johns Hopkins and contact NIH in Bethesda - they do clinical trials and are an enormous resource for you. Try the magnesium (check with your doctor because I don't inow what other meds you are on) - give it a few weeks - it worked for me! Hope it helps you; but, get the right Doctor - one who will listen and who has experience with the rls and neuropathy areas. Every patient has different symptom locations and it could be another type of neuropathy that is involved.

Take care, and don't give up -- I have researched and argued with some very excellent doctors -- and when you find the right one, you will know!!!

Elizabeth

Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
(female)

Luvlucy223 HB User

I have had no side effects from the Requip - thank God. I do worry though about the relationship between RLS and Parkinson's.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
(female)

MissHelen HB User

I am going to be finding a Neurologist but it's going to have to be one here nearby. I don't drive anymore and I can't get to Hopkins. There really are great doctors there. Fortunately, there are good doctors locally. I need a neurologist because of some other problems I'm having with hands shaking. Hopefully that's from some medication I'm taking.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

There are some reports that serotonin antidepressants can cause or worsen RLS. I am on one too and my RLS is out of control, so may try without it and see what happens. The Lexapro is mentioned specifically on several sites as causing RLS in some people. I am on two meds just for the RLS, so if I get off Cymbalta, maybe I can stop the RLS meds. That would be great. I would certainly talk with your Dr about it.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
(female)

whitewillow HB User

Hi. I was on Lexapro a few years ago and yes, my rls was much worse! as a matter of fact i believe i would not have it if it weren't for the antidepressants i take. as soon as i got off lexapro i dropped a lot of weight and the rls lessened a great deal.i'm on prozac now and still have rls but not nearly as bad.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
(female)

Luvlucy223 HB User

Thank you all for your help and advice - today was a rough day. I was off from work and woke up at 6:30 am with the restless legs and they bothered me every time I sat down to read. Going to get to my MD this week.
Thanks, Trish

Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
(female)

restless nights HB User

medication is very well just a band aid. Have you tried natural remedies? I personally sometimes have a better outcome from natural remedies then synthetic meds, on the other side my husband does better with medication and seems to have no response to natural remedies. Everyone is unique in the way their bodies filter and process responses. I use privic and also Epson salt baths to relieve the RLS and i have it pretty bad I have to stay on schedule and do it every night otherwise i really feel the burn the next day. Also, if you have no expectations to get instant relief that sometimes helps put less stress on the situation the more you stress the worse the RLS at least in my experience. I wish you a restful night !

Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I recently increased my Mg to 400mg twice a day, and it has helped. Epsom salts contains Mg too. There are apparently slow release formulas of Mg that might help better for those with RLS all night and day. Mine only occurs in evening and first part of night. Peripheral neuropathy and RLS go together too, and B12 and folate deficiency can cause PN. That can be measured in blood and supplemented as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
(female)

Btrue HB User

Hi
I personally have seen a strong correlation between antidepressants and RSL. I first experienced RLS as a side effect of Paxil. When I was switched over to Effexor, the RLS went away.

Recently thought, I tried to go off of Effexor .25 mg and Abilify .5 mg. When I did this the withdrawal sydrome effects were horrible so I did some research and started to take some herbals to combat this such as 5-HTP and SAM-e. Soon after, I started to experience severe RLS. It was so horrible, that I went back on the Effexor. I am now on Requip as well, but the RLS is just as bad as ever.

Unfortunately I don't really have any advice for you other than to look strongly at the link between antidepressants and RLS. If anyone has any advice for me...Please bring it ON!!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
(female)

Btrue HB User

Hi
I personally have seen a strong correlation between antidepressants and RSL. I first experienced RLS as a side effect of Paxil. When I was switched over to Effexor, the RLS went away.

Recently thought, I tried to go off of Effexor .25 mg and Abilify .5 mg. When I did this the withdrawal sydrome effects were horrible so I did some research and started to take some herbals to combat this such as 5-HTP and SAM-e. Soon after, I started to experience severe RLS. It was so horrible, that I went back on the Effexor. I am now on Requip as well, but the RLS is just as bad as ever.

Unfortunately I don't really have any advice for you other than to look strongly at the link between antidepressants and RLS. If anyone has any advice for me...Please bring it ON!!!!!

Reply Reply