It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive

rianny HB User
Rosacea, and eyelid massage?

Ok, I think I have Rosacea. I thoroughly searched websites about this disease, and I'm 90% sure that my eye problem is caused by this.

I have acne-like pimples on my cheeks, and cheeks are a little red. I tend to flush easily, too.

But, the thing is it's been 4-5 years since I've had dry eyes, and the skin problem started about 2 years ago. I thought it's simply acne, but now the pimples do not have any whiteheads or blackheads, which is the characteristic of skin trouble caused by Rosacea. The info I gathered actually said that dry eyes usually occur prior to skin problem.

Last month, I checked with a rheumatologist whether I have Sjogren's syndrome or not, and the result was negative. So, this must be it - Rosacea.

I don't know why it took this long to figure this out. I'll go to see my doctor next week to start the treatment.

I wish I'm not too late to get better. It said Rosacea cannot be cured but can be stopped or the process become reversed with proper medical care.

Also, could somebody tell me how eyelid massage works? I started doing hot compresses and massage since a few days ago, but I'm not sure if my massage is correct. I just close my eyes and rub my eyelids softly.

When I massage, should I do it in certain direction? I read that some people get oil after they massage. Where is the oil taken out? I didn't notice any oil after the massages. All I get is very blurred vision after massage. No improvement so far. How long does it take to be effective?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 12:43 AM   #2
Inactive

Jen2003 HB User
Re: Rosacea, and eyelid massage?

Hi rianny - to do the eyelid massages, you should first apply a warm (NOT hot!) compress to your eyes for at least 5 minutes. This will help to melt the oil that's clogging up the tiny glands that line the inner rim of the eyelids (meibomian glands). You can gently rub your eyelids while you're applying the compress. Then, remove the compress and use your index finger to VERY GENTLY push the edge of your eyelid up against your eyeball. This will help to squeeze out any remaining oil that's plugging up the glands (you might see some white material come out of the glands, but it may also be clear). The compresses/massages will make your eyes red, but there's really nothing you can do about that. When you've finished the massage, rinse your eyelids with warm water to remove any remaining debris. Then use some preservative-free artificial tears if your eyes feel dry (do NOT use redness relievers i.e. Visine - this will only make your condition worse!). Hope I explained this okay. Let me know if you still have questions. Are you currently on any medication right now? Maybe you could ask your doctor about doxycycline. It might help you with both the eye and facial symptoms of rosacea. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2004, 12:50 AM   #3
Inactive

Jen2003 HB User

Hi again - just thought I'd mention that it might take a long time for you to notice any improvement - maybe a month? Don't expect to get better over night, or you'll just get really frustrated. You have to be super patient and do the compresses/massages every day (if you're just starting out, I'd say do them 4x/day, if possible).

Old 01-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #4
Inactive

rianny HB User

Thx, Jen.
So, edges of the eyelids are the key places to massage, eh?

Ok, I'll keep doing this. In 2002, I was once prescribed doxycycline from my doctor. I had taken 42 capsules, so approximately for 1+1/2 month. There was slight improvement while taking it, but I told my doc if I could stop taking it because I thought it won't help me any further. Now, it seems like I have to take that med for quite a long time (at least two months, according to what other people posted). So, I guess I'll try again.

Thx again, Jen =)

Old 01-14-2004, 09:57 PM   #5
Inactive

jeujeu HB User

So.... is the 5 minutes really crucial? I've been spending what probably amounts to 1-2 minutes on the compress because I feel so busy I don't have the time or patience for 5 minutes. And I do it 2 times/day if I'm lucky. I have the feeling I'm skimping. Is there any way to tell if you're getting oil out? I have no clue, I don't see or feel anything. If it has to be 5 minutes I guess everything I've done has been useless. Can't someone make an eyelid massage machine so I can just lay down and have a device do it all for me?

Closed Thread