It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

winnie23 HB User
Unhappy Rosacea and Acne

Hi all,

I'm new around here and I was wondering if anyone in here has both rosacea and acne. I recently had a bout of allergies, after 21 years of never having dealt with it, and it dried out my oily skin, which in turn knocked out most of my pimples. Now the pimples are coming back and I've noticed I am extremely sensitive to acne products that I used just a month ago (burning sensation that's much longer than usual). I don't think it helps that I've always had a mild form of rosacea, which I have yet to deal with medically.

Anyhow, does anyone know of a product that is not that harsh on one's skin but works like BP?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: Rosacea and Acne

Winnie, I have (mostly food) allergies, mild-moderate acne and some form of rosacea or facial flushing. My face, in it's normal state, is not red but if I undertake physical exericse, become stressed or embarrassed then I will experience facial flushing where I will have blemishes that can appear anywhere on my face and last as long as 2mins. Do you experience this or have experienced this or is your skin red in its normal state?

Have you tried reducing/elminating your use of chemical/harsh/medical products which are definitely damaging your skin? The more chemicals like B.P. that you cover your face with the harder it is for your skin to rebuild itself back to its original state. You should look into using all-natural products which do not contain harsh chemicals but use extracts like Grape-Seed and Algae.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

winnie23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
Winnie, I have (mostly food) allergies, mild-moderate acne and some form of rosacea or facial flushing. My face, in it's normal state, is not red but if I undertake physical exericse, become stressed or embarrassed then I will experience facial flushing where I will have blemishes that can appear anywhere on my face and last as long as 2mins. Do you experience this or have experienced this or is your skin red in its normal state?

Have you tried reducing/elminating your use of chemical/harsh/medical products which are definitely damaging your skin? The more chemicals like B.P. that you cover your face with the harder it is for your skin to rebuild itself back to its original state. You should look into using all-natural products which do not contain harsh chemicals but use extracts like Grape-Seed and Algae.
My face blushes easily (embarassing moments, or when I drink even a little alcohol), but I really haven't noticed any relationship between my blemishes and my blushing. Also, my face used to be red in its normal state, even without the pimples or harsh acne treatments, but now it's much better. I think my extremely dry skin episode, which was caused by allergies, really helped in exfoliating the bad skin, and now I have a much healthier one-less red, my cheeks have almost no pimples, and red marks are gone.

At the end of my allergy treatment, I then added Cetaphil, bec. I had to deal with the dry skin, which was getting out of hand. I then added Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Lotion, which stung like heck for 5 mins. but it worked pretty well. But after a week I still had few dry spots that weren't getting any better, and not worth the stinging sensation. I then tried the Aveeno Lotion, which does an ok job but still not great. Just as my skin was becoming less dry, I noticed pimples forming, and that was when I tried the BP 2.5%, and the stinging was there for a very long time 15mins+ I don't know what to do with the pimples. But for now I'm more determined to get rid of the dry skin so I'm using jojoba oil, and I'm hoping it'll help prevent future pimples. But what should I use for the pimples I have now, will grape-seed or algae be good for that? Or should I use tea tree oil?

Sorry for going on long, but I just want to have my experience out there, and hopefully it can help others too.

Also, Thanks Neca!

Last edited by winnie23; 05-09-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie23
At the end of my allergy treatment, I then added Cetaphil, bec.
What allergy treatment did you undergo and what type of allergies do you have? Do you still have allergies now and how serious are they?

Quote:
But for now I'm more determined to get rid of the dry skin so I'm using jojoba oil, and I'm hoping it'll help prevent future pimples. But what should I use for the pimples I have now, will grape-seed or algae be good for that? Or should I use tea tree oil?
I think Jojoba oil is a great choice to start using for your dry skin. I have just bought some and have yet to use it but this board is full of great posts about the product. I read on another post you posted that you were thinking about cleansing. Well I have been doing cleanses for the past 5 weeks or so and so far have yet to reap major benefits but I am sure they will come in time. You could consider dietary changes, what type of diet do you follow? Do you eat a high carb high processed food diet etc. or do you eat a natural organic one? Changing your diet would greatly aid your skin in preventing/reducing acne.

I have just purchased the all-natural products containing grape-seed and algae extracts so I will let you know my results when I start using them. I am, however, convinced that they will/can be as effective if not more effective than all those harsh chemicals like BP, Salicylic acid etc.

On a side-note regarding flushing/blushing, I have experienced a good reduction in my embarrassing facial flushing while using Apple Cider Vinegar on my face overnight. I seem to be flush much less since using this. I am going to start taking it internally aswell, one or two teaspoons a day. A.C.V. has great all round properties for helping the body in many aspects.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

winnie23 HB User

Quote:
What allergy treatment did you undergo and what type of allergies do you have? Do you still have allergies now and how serious are they?
For 5 days I took both prednisone (about 40mg) and benadryl. It got rid of the hives, itchiness, and swollen eyelids. I don't really know what triggered the allergies, because I have not had these reactions ever, and I did not do anything that was different. Before that I did experience minor itchiness when I eat crabs, but it only happened sometimes. A week after the treatment I ate shrimp and lobster and my face turned red for a while too, and that's a first, although my siblings are allergic to shrimps. The only symptoms I have now that could be a bit of the allergies are the slight dry skin on my face, sensitivity to prolonged sun exposure (20-30mins.), pins and needles sensation when I feel hot and as if I'm sweating, and finally the hives around my wrist come out at night (I usually notice them bec. they itch a bit, and they disappear after an hour or so).

Quote:
Well I have been doing cleanses for the past 5 weeks or so and so far have yet to reap major benefits but I am sure they will come in time. You could consider dietary changes, what type of diet do you follow? Do you eat a high carb high processed food diet etc. or do you eat a natural organic one? Changing your diet would greatly aid your skin in preventing/reducing acne.
I will definitely look into cleansing, but only after I get a job. At this point I'm trying to eat less carb, but a natural organic one isn't an option for me. Aside from cost, I am also too fond of what I normally eat, so I just try to eat less of the bad stuff whenever possible. I am abstaining from drinking alcohol, eating crabs, shrimps, mangoes, and spicy foods- but I don't plan this to be a permanent thing.

Quote:
I have just purchased the all-natural products containing grape-seed and algae extracts so I will let you know my results when I start using them. I am, however, convinced that they will/can be as effective if not more effective than all those harsh chemicals like BP, Salicylic acid etc.
I just bought the Tea Tree Oil Stick from the Body Shop, I'll let you know how effective it is too. I have just read the past couple of days that AHA is bad for rosacea skin and so are tretinoin etc. It's really tough dealing with allergies, rosacea, and acne, because you have to be careful that the treatments you are using aren't making the others worst. I've learned a lot more about skin care than I'd ever imagined.

Quote:
On a side-note regarding flushing/blushing, I have experienced a good reduction in my embarrassing facial flushing while using Apple Cider Vinegar on my face overnight. I seem to be flush much less since using this. I am going to start taking it internally aswell, one or two teaspoons a day. A.C.V. has great all round properties for helping the body in many aspects.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try that for myself later on. I'm trying to take baby steps with my skin. What SPF lotion do you use for your face? I use Paula's SPF 30, it's good but I bought it when I had normal/oily skin, now I'm looking for something for my dry skin, I like her products but I would prefer something I can buy from the store for its convenience and cost. Also, I forgot to say I use jojoba oil and after that dries, vitamin e, I find that they are reliable in moisturizing my face all day. These natural products are great, they don't irritate my skin.

Please keep me updated with your own journey Neca.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
I don't really know what triggered the allergies, because I have not had these reactions ever, and I did not do anything that was different.
Unfortunately, allergies can lay dorminant for a very long time and then suddenley pop up unexpectantly even if you don't do anything different. This is not an uncommon experience.

Quote:
A week after the treatment I ate shrimp and lobster and my face turned red for a while too, and that's a first, although my siblings are allergic to shrimps. The only symptoms I have now that could be a bit of the allergies are the slight dry skin on my face, sensitivity to prolonged sun exposure (20-30mins.), pins and needles sensation when I feel hot and as if I'm sweating, and finally the hives around my wrist come out at night (I usually notice them bec. they itch a bit, and they disappear after an hour or so).
Winnie, the problem with allergy 'treatment' is that it only treats the reactions of the allergies and doesn't treat the actual cause of the reaction. So post treatment, your symptoms may have died down but it doesn't mean your sensitivity to further reactions will be reduced. Rather it does mean you will have to avoid all allergy-prone reaction foods such as shrimps, crabs, oysters and avoid over-exposure to the sun. There is nothing to make allergies disappear from our bodies we can only avoid the things that provoke our allergies developing.

Quote:
I will definitely look into cleansing, but only after I get a job. At this point I'm trying to eat less carb, but a natural organic one isn't an option for me. Aside from cost, I am also too fond of what I normally eat, so I just try to eat less of the bad stuff whenever possible. I am abstaining from drinking alcohol, eating crabs, shrimps, mangoes, and spicy foods- but I don't plan this to be a permanent thing.
Good on you for looking into cleansing but I would have to say that you will only be able to reap all the benefits of it if you were to adopt a new diet. Eat less carb is a great start because all those carbs cause mucuous to build up on your inner intestinal wall creating huge digestive problems.

Quote:
I just bought the Tea Tree Oil Stick from the Body Shop, I'll let you know how effective it is too. I have just read the past couple of days that AHA is bad for rosacea skin and so are tretinoin etc.
I used Tea Tree Oil years ago when I was a teenage and experienced really bad redness but that was probably because I used it incorrectly by overusing it. I think it is best for spot treatment. I didn't know AHA's were bad for rosacea skin, thanks for letting me know. Up until about 3 weeks ago I occasionally used a 15% AHA and was infact experience bad redness. Since stopping that and also starting the Apple Cider Vinegar regime, my redness/flushing has gone down alot.

Quote:
It's really tough dealing with allergies, rosacea, and acne, because you have to be careful that the treatments you are using aren't making the others worst. I've learned a lot more about skin care than I'd ever imagined.
I couldn't have said it better myself ! It can be a vicious cycle at times: your acne improves but your allergies get worse so you change treatment and your allergies improve and your acne gets worse. Urgh...so annoying. This is why I decided on the natural route because as it is natural there aren't usually any side-effects that can be experienced with using those harsh topicals.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try that for myself later on. I'm trying to take baby steps with my skin. What SPF lotion do you use for your face? I use Paula's SPF 30.
The slower the better..good idea. Some people just rush into things and try and attack everything all at once without even thinking about what consequences it may have especially internally. Regarding SPF, I'm a guy so I don't use any SPF.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Please keep me updated with your own journey Neca.
Will do ! And the same to you too...take care

Closed Thread