It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #1

ajneedhams HB User
ocular rosacea

Is there anyone out there with ocular rosacea? I'm not sure if I have it exactly, but it is a possibility. If anyone has this condition, I'd love to hear about it.

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 11:15 AM   #2

calibug HB User
Re: ocular rosacea

Hey There,

Yes, I have ocular rosacea...specifically Posterior Blepharitis/Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. My eye problems started first and then my face began to get a bit rosy about a year later.

I try to avoid things that may cause a flare up. I know it works for the face, not sure about the eyes. It took me several months of doxycycline but I think it is under control now. I have a few bad days here and there but at least I have some good days!!

Why do you think you have ocular rosacea? What kinds of symptoms are you having? Make sure you see an opthalmologist as soon as you can. I believe mine got worse because it wasn't properly treated in the beginning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 12:15 PM   #3

ajneedhams HB User

Hi Calibug-
Thanks for responding so promptly. My story is on the Dry Eyes...help! thread. In a nutshell though, I have been dealing with dry eyes, sore red gritty, burning, stick-shut-at-night symptoms since May after I had a severe case of bacterial pink eye. Never a problem before. Anyway, the inf. is long gone, but the inflammation goes on. I've seen 5 opths and taken Restasis, tried plugs, and the last guy told me to try Doxy 50 mg twice a day for two weeks just as a test to see if I have improvement. The first thing he noticed when he came into the exam room was that I have some facial rosiness and some acne on my chin. It comes with stress. I've always had some form of mild acne too. Anyway, he pressed on my lids and as all the other Drs told me that he didn't see clogged meibomian glands. The oils appear clear instead of cloudy. So why would the Doxy work for me?? That is what I don't understand. He did say though that Lacrimal gland (tear glands) can be affected with ocular rosacea as well. That is where I am deficient- baseline tearing.
Anyway, my history goes back to noticing a reddended face about 2 yrs ago. Off and on. Sometimes at night when I was getting ready to wash my face, I think...boy, I must have gotten some sun today. But the truth is.......it is not sunburn. I just turn sort of red- even my ches. My eyes however were never affected until May. I have never ever had a dry eye problem before. So that is why I was attributing the bizarre change to the severe inf I had. Maybe I have two components at play here. I thought blepharitis meant that you have some crusty debris, dandruff etc in your lash line. If i do, it is not visible in the least. Is it too small to see? When I pull my lids down, all I see is reddened vascular vessels. My eyes feel sort of oily and they itch especially at the corners and the "cabuncles" as I believe they are called.
How long did you take the Doxy and are you still on it?? Is it lifelong? I hate to think of taking an antibiotic for the rest of my life. What do you do for your face? Have you had any corneal or visual problems attributed to this?? Questions, questions..I know.

Thank you again. I'm not sure I have the correct diagnosis, but I am trying to widdle it down anyway.

Amy

Old 09-19-2004, 06:56 PM   #4

calibug HB User

You poor thing. You sound so confused like I was. I actually started with eye problems then the skin. I had no idea why my eyes were bothering me off and on. I was told everything from big eyes and not blinking enough. I finally understood that I had to go see an opthalmologist to get any answers.

My oil wasn't clogging either. I just had too much oil. There are several problems/symptoms you can have with ocular rosacea. Over time, my oil got thicker and once and awhile I'll have a gland clog. If you have those facial symptoms, chances are you probably have ocular rosacea. I got a lot of info. from Dr. Nase (pretty good expert on rosacea/ocular rosacea).

What I don't understand is why your doc wanted you to try doxy for just a couple of weeks. Doxy usually takes longer than that to start having an effect. Are you seeing an opthamologist? Make sure you have a GOOD one.

As far as the face, I use a couple of creams and they work great! Stress and nerves cause me to have problems. I use Noritate & Avare. I really like them. My skin is pretty dry though so I have to use a lot of moisturizer.

Sorry to hear about your dry eyes and yes, from what I understand, you can have suppressed tears from ocular rosacea too. I do have to say that I think the antibiotics are finally working for me. It has taken four or so months on them but I am slowly doing better. I have a lot of good days now with minimal dryness. I am so thankful for that!!

I sure don't want to take anitbiotics for the rest of my life either but I tell you, when my eyes are doing poorly, the idea of antibiotics long term don't bother me as much! Do you think the Restasis is helping you? I've used that before (about 8 months or so). Not sure if it helped. May have helped me produce more tears, but I don't think it helped with my oil problem.

Hope you get some relief!

Old 09-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #5

ajneedhams HB User

Thank you for the info. I had searched on many search engines for info on ocular rosacea, but I had not found Dr Nase until you mentioned it. That looks like a valuable site. I may need to get my hands on his book. I actually don't see a dermatologist until end of Oct, but the last opth (I've seen 4 total- trying to figure out my wierd eye symptoms) thought that I had classical ocular rosacea.
Yes, I had used Restasis, but only for 5 wks. It tended to burn my eyes as does Refresh Endura (similar formula) I'm not too sure if it would have helped in the long run. I think the opth I saw just said to try the Doxy for two weeks because he was new to me as I had been seeing my regular Dr and he was out of town. My regular opth had been prescribing me steroid eye drops to bring down the inflammation. It didn't work as well as we thought it would. To tell you the truth, this is the first day I have felt better. This is day 6. Could it be helping already?? How long have you been on it and do you take 50 mg twice a day or 100 twice a day?? This is also the first day that I am having some stomach upset two hours after taking it. I've heard that is common and I hope I can hold out on this stuff. Have you had any yeast problems? (if ya don't mind me asking Thanks for the skin care recommendations. I haven't yet tried to alter what I have been doing for years except I have added a daily sunscreen. One more quesiton, are your eyes dry at night?

Thanks tons

Amy

Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #6

calibug HB User

I have been taking 100 mg of doxy a day and now am on 50 mg. I hope it will be enough to control this stuff. The Restasis burns my eyes as well...so does Refresh Endura. I am wondering if it is the castor oil as I think that is one of the ingredients. I still use Refresh Endura though since it seems to help.

No yeast problems but I do try to eat yogurt and take acidolphilus as well so maybe that helps. I try to take the acidolphilus in the evening and the anitbiotic in the morn. Hope the stomach problems subside since doxy could really work for you. Maybe you could eat a little something with it. I think that is ok with doxycycline. Might check into it.

By the way, do you use eyedrops frequently? What kinds do you use? I've noticed that even perservative free vials (Refresh Plus, Thera Tears, etc...) can still irritate my eyes. Maybe I am using them too frequently.

I was doing really well but I just started having problems again last night. Yuck. Today hasn't been too much fun. I'm hoping they will feel much better tomorrow. I just seem to have a flare-up here and there for a day or two and then they feel much better. I think the doxy has it somewhat under control.

As far as the doxycycline working that quickly, I have no idea. I was told not to expect results for awhile but who knows...maybe it is working already for you. Wouldn't that be great!

You also asked about dryness at night. I don't have any of that thankfully. Do you? Resting is important for the eyes so I really feel for those that don't get the rest they, and their eyes, need. My eyes really feel good when I close them. You may try an ointment at night if you are having trouble. I've read that using nighttime ointments helps. Oh, by the way, Dr. Nase's book is very good. He has quite a bit of info on ocular rosacea as well with some good tips on medicines & vitamins to take.

Have a good afternoon!
Calibug

Old 09-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #7

ajneedhams HB User

Wow! You have no night dryness?? I can't believe it. My life would be so much better if I could get better sleep in comfort instead of waking to utter dryness - so dry it is hard to open my eyes. I hope someday that will come back, but it has been over 4 months now. By the way, I use Refresh Plus or Celluvisc during the day I use anything at all. Today I had to because the burning/ scratchiness is back. I've tried others but I like the thicker ones that these seem to last the longest.

Calibug, when you said you were beginning a flare up last night, what do you mean?? Burning, irritation, swelling?? I guess I don't know what symptoms you had/have? Would you mind sharing?? Also, can you tell me what you noticed as your first symptom with your eyes?? Did it all of a sudden start one day or come on so slowly that you barely noticed??
Last question, can you tell when your meibomian gland is blocked? What does it feel like? My eyelid feels wierd, but I can't really describe it.

Amy

Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #8

calibug HB User

Sorry to hear about your nighttime dryness. Do you have mucus in the morning when you wake up? I hope you can figure out what is causing this stuff for you.

You asked about flare-ups. Well, my eyes feel great right now. I'll usually do well for several days and then wam, they start to become very irritated. I think that is normal with ocular rosacea. You'll have good days and bad days. Sometimes my eyes feel pretty normal and other times they really bother me. When they flare up they start to burn and water a bit and get a murky sort of feeling to them. Hard to describe. My eyelids get a lot redder too.

Are your eyelids red on the lid margins? If they are, you probably are having eyelid trouble. It really is hard to figure out this stuff. I am glad to know why my eyes are having problems though and I'm actually glad it is ocular rosacea and not something more serious than that. I also feel like there is hope that maybe if the skin condition gets control then maybe the eyes will get better too. Got to always have hope, right!

You wanted to know how this started for me...so here goes...At first my eyes would just sting on and off in the morning and usually would get better in the afternoon. It would only happen once and awhile and wasn't too bothersome. Thought it was strange. Something else too, my eyes were really glossy looking.

Well, I finally went to an optometrist who thought I didn't blink enough and said people with big eyes can be more sensitive. Ok. Then I went to an allergist who tested me and thought my eye situation was more serious than allergies...he also informed me that I needed to see an opthalmologist not an optometrist.

I then went to see an opthalmologist but almost didn't since the symptoms would disappear. It wasn't all of the time. I also noticed that it felt like something was in my eye(s) from time to time.

He explained that I had way too much oil and that it was blepharitis. I didn't have any facial symtoms so I never associated this with Rosacea. Well, my eyes progressively got worse. Symptoms became more and more bothersome and actually my oil changed from having too much to being too thick. From time to time one of the meibomian glands will get clogged. You can see it with a flashlight. Little uncomfortable bump on one of the glands. Warm compresses always help me with that. Gets the oil flowing again.

Could you possibly have too much oil? Maybe you have a problem with quality and quantity of tears. Have you ever thought of punc. plugs? I have heard that cauterization really has helped some.

Hope this helps some. I know how frustrating it can be...not only to have the eye problems but not to know why and how to make it better. Hopefully you'll figure this out real soon.

Calibug

Old 09-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #9

lulu04 HB User

Hi Calibug! Thanks for sharing all this info! Hope you don't mind if I ask some questions too
I was just recently diagnosed with MGD/posterior blepharitis (by my 4th opth, the previous 3 all said my meib glands were fine). When you say you have a little white bump, do you mean right on the eyelid margin? Does it go away in a day or so? Over the last few months, I've had a little white bump appear on my eyelid margin; it never bothers me and disappears in a day or so. This has happened 2 or 3 times. Does that sound like a clogged gland?

Old 09-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #10

ajneedhams HB User

Hi Calibug-
yes, there are times when my eyes feel very oily. It especially got bad when I tried one of those oral flax/omega 3 supplements. My face got oily and my hair too. Oily eyes tend to burn when there is a lack of aquaous tear film as well. I definitely have that too.
Upon looking at my eyes in the mirror, my lids at the lash line look pink. If I pull my lids down they are pink with several obvious red blood vessels. Does any of this sound familiar? As for the lid swelling I've had- it is hard to define and to see. I don't actually see the bump, but palpating gives some discomfort. I also don't have 'watery' eyes in the least. In fact they never water- with the exception of during a yawn and still it is minimal. I have no mucous in the morning either. Just a little bit of crusting around my eyes and I'm not sure if that is due to the nighttime gel I apply or not.

Do you find that your eye symptoms are worse when your face is affected? My face is pretty normal during the day. I just notice the pink face after the AM shower and when I am getting ready for bed. Or perhhaps I am just used to it now. There was a time about 2 yrs ago when I went through a very high anxiety period in my life and my face would burn like "windburn" and become very red. That is why I have begun to associate the two. But the eye probs don't seem to correlate with the level of facial redness. Sometimes I feel as if I'm grasping at straws.

Calibug, thanks for all your support and for trying to help me figure this perplexing mess out.

Amy

Old 09-23-2004, 05:56 PM   #11

calibug HB User

Hey Amy,

Sure sounds like ocular rosacea to me! I have the visible blood vessels on the eyelids as well. Apparently you can have very mild rosacea on the face and have it pretty bad in the eyes and vice-versa. You can have more severe rosacea and no eye problems from what I understand.

I think your doc is right about ocular rosacea. Your situation sounds a lot like me. You may just produce less tears than I do. That would explain the nighttime dryness. Too bad restasis didn't work for you.

You mentioned a lump or something on the eyelid. You may be developing a stye. Do you do the warm compresses?

I don't think I have have a problem with my tear production but I'm not too sure about that. I've gone in and gotten 30 mm on the Schirm. test and another time I got 6mm in one eye and 10mm in the other. When I say they water, it sure isn't down my cheeks. It is more a burning watery feeling in the eyes. Do you have tears when you cry?

Well, I'm no doctor but it sure sounds like ocular rosacea. I'm starting to notice a bit that when my skin is more sensitive then my eyes are as well. Not too sure about that though. I'm kind of new to the face stuff and my eyes bother me so much that I don't really pay much attention to the skin. Since I've been on the antibiotics, my face really doesn't burn all that much anymore.

If you do have rosacea, you may want to avoid things that make your rosacea worse (easier said than done, I know). I was told to watch out for my triggers. Toughest one for me to avoid is stress and nerves.

Not sure if any of this helps. I remember feeling so confused and lost through this whole process. I know what you are going through. Hang in there.

By the way, has your doctor ever mentioned plugs?? I'm tempted by them. I've heard that this stuff has to be under control though first otherwise the inflammation stays in the eyes or something like that.

Calibug

Closed Thread