It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

serbocro HB User
doxycycline/oc. rosacea

Have ocular rosacea and facial rosacea. Have been on doxycycline for approx. 2 1/2 years. Then, my dermatologist reminded me to get my yearly mammograms b/c long term antibiotic use doubles the risk of breast cancer. Yet when I have been off the doxycycline--my eyes get worse. Stuck between a rock and a hard place!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #2

ajneedhams HB User
Re: doxycycline/oc. rosacea

Ohhhhhhh! I don't need to hear that. Especially since Doxy seems to be the only thing that helps me somewhat.
I would be interested in hearing some more of your story since it is hard to find very many people with this condition. Please share if you feel like it. Has anything significantly helped you? How do you care for your eyes and how does one stay sane after 2 1/2 yrs? I am worrisome for the future.

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

serbocro HB User

Well, when I started wearing contacts in 1978--I had severe infections-- finally the opth. said it was due to thimerosol at that time that was present in the solutions. So, from that point on my corneas were severely damaged and contd. to get nodules etc. I also started to get acne at that time and that has subsided somewhat after 25 years. My cornea doctor says I need to be on the doxy since my oc. rosacea/oily glands under lids gets inflamed. And after being off the doxy from 5/04 thru 12/04, my eyes did suffer as far as vision is concerned. I am also on Restasis eye drops which have hekped with inflammation. I really have not tried to naturally reduce inflammation in my body as that celebrity dermatologist, Dr. Perricone suggests. I do put flax seed in my cereal since that is supposed to reduce inflammation in the body. And since oc. rosacea and rosacea IS inflammation!!! I have suffered thru many cornea surgeries and of course the light is extremely bothersome etc. I do believe tho that the Restasis has helped. But it is VERY expensive!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I am also on Restasis and my opthamologist told me I could use 1 vial for both morning and night. He saw no reason not to do so since there are 8 drops per vial. I have been doing this for the past month and see no problems. I do cover the vial with clean klenex and put in a clean glass until next use.

Restasis seems to be working for me too. I do have Rosacea in face and eye.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #5

calibug HB User

So sorry to hear about your eye troubles. It actually affected your vision? You poor thing. I just hate this stuff!!

That breast cancer/antibiotics study worried me too but I read quite a bit about it and looked over the study itself (you can take a look at it on the internet)... They don't know if other factors were involved... I think they have a lot more studying to do on it. I think the study raised significant questions but nothing proven.

I think caution is the key. I think if you really need the antibiotics, follow the docs orders....Really the study raises lots of questions in my mind. Could antibiotics possibly raise cancer risks in other areas of the body? What about all the antibiotics given to children? What risks might they face and could it be even more detrimental to them since they are still in the growing stages?

Also, if you have a low risk for breast cancer and, let's say, your chances were one in a hundred, I think that would be mean that your risk could be 2 in 100 if you follow the doubling in the study. It still would mean a pretty low risk.

I really hate taking these antibiotics but if you need them, you need them. If you don't, you don't. There are abuses with antibiotics (viral infections, etc...) and everyone needs to be careful and discuss these things with their doctor. Personally, my eyes seem to be much more under control with the doxy as well. I don't want to play with my eyes either so, you are right...between a rock and a hard place. Got to just weigh the options.

Something interesting I read about the antibiotics was that they actually can lower estrogen levels which, they explained, wouldn't make sense since too much estrogen is often involved in breast cancer. Maybe it is inflammation and the problems we have and not the antibiotics at all. They just don't know yet. There was a study done in 1999, I believe, somewhere in Europe and they came up with similar results...so who knows. Either rate, it is just an increase in risk....but something to consider.

I make sure and take acidolphilus (as far apart from the antibiotic as possible) to help restore some of the good bacteria you lose while on the antibiotics. I also try to eat well and take my vitamins. You may want to take a look at the study on the internet. It breaks down how often the women took antibiotics, what kind they took, and how many women actually developed breast cancer. There were plenty of women who did take antibiotics yet never developed the cancer. The health of the women needs to be taken into consideration in this study as well.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens with these studies... I'm on the Restasis too and I do believe it has helped me as well! That stuff is expensive!! Does your insurance help cover it? Some do and some don't.

Hang in there!

Closed Thread