It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 07:39 AM   #1

bam007 HB User
Rosacea

Has anyone used Proactiv for Rosacea? I'be tried so many products at this point. I have two suggestions now: Omnilux Blue light therapy and accutane. I have extremely dry fare skin. So I wanted to know if proactiv was more for people with oily skin.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User
Re: Rosacea

Have you tried any benzoyl peroxide products before? They are pretty drying IMO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

bam- stay away from the proactive!!! i have extremely oily skin and that stuff made it incredibly dry, incredibly fast. i don't know anything about rosacea, but the only people i know who have made good use of proactive have mild acne, and oily, non-sensitive skin.

murad might have something on their website that could help you, i use their cleanser and lotion for my acne, it's very nice. but i'd say see a derm, those types know a thing or two about skin problems. good luck

ali

Old 02-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Inactive

Takara HB User

Have you tried finacea? It is a new product for rosacea that my derm told me about. It is a prescription.

Another product that is not prescription that you can get online is Aminogenesis facial cream. A lady at my work had rocacea and it completely cleared hers up.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
(female)

acnescargirl HB User

bp will make you redder

Old 02-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #6

bam007 HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I've actually been through so many doctors, it's not even funny. I originally went to a derm back in Dec. of 03 and he did nothing for me, but give help me start my own presciprion inventory for a pharmacy. I then in the summer of 04 decided to go see a general doctor, cuz I started with just dry red patches on my cheeks. He then thought, of course, that it could be lupus. I was referred to a rheum. then, tested for lupus and came back with MCTD (mixed connective tissue disease). The rhuem thought the red patches was seperate from my rheumtoid problem, which by the way is just slightly positive, so it could be a good chance I don't even have that. Any who, a saw a new derm and he diagnosed me with rosacea, which is also called acne rosacea. He gave me an anti-biotic (Adoxa - doxycycline) and Elidel for a topical creme. All in all, the creme helped one side of my face, but made the other much worse! I started getting pus papules and my face was so red and irritated, that I wanted it just ripped off! I went to Monterrey, MX to get a second opinion, don't ask me why I did this, but I thought maybe I could get a straight answer on the lupus, MCTD, rosacea thing. Waste of time and money that was. I was told exactly the same thing, but confirmed, according to them, that I have lupus. I don't have lupus, and MCTD is questionable. At the moment my main concern is this stuff on my face. I've never had skin nor acne problems.. and all this is new to me. I want my normal face back! I've been told about, accutane, Omnilu Blue light therapy, and Intense Pulse Light. So far, accutane is in the lead.... though I have to get on a birth control for a month before I even start the accutane, which my derm said I only have to take it for a month and a half at the lowest dose. I have very sensitive and dry skin. To tell you that I even went out to get tested for staph, which came back negative and it hurt like heck when they scraped one of my bumps to get the liquid sample. Any way, that's why I want to ask around and see what other people have gone through with the same problem I have. Proactiv is definitely out!

Old 02-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Inactive

Takara HB User

Accutane will make your skin so dry it will hurt. If you already have dry skin to begin with then accutane is definitely out. Give the aminogenesis a try and see what you think. I'm sorry you are going through this. I know it must be tough, but there has to be a solution out there for you.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 AM   #8

Sman HB User

bam007--
accutane is an option, but only in VERY low doses. The dose should be no more than 5-10mg a day. Any dose higher then this would probabily make things worse.

IPL is definitely good for getting rid of facial redness and veins.

Omnilu Blue light therapy would be good for getting rid of the acne lesions, but I wouldn't expect any difference in redness.

Red light could also be good as it's supposed to have an anti-inflammatory effect (reducing redness)

Old 02-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

evy38 HB User

IPL is the way to go on this one, but not IPL/RF.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #10

bam007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman
bam007--
accutane is an option, but only in VERY low doses. The dose should be no more than 5-10mg a day. Any dose higher then this would probabily make things worse.

IPL is definitely good for getting rid of facial redness and veins.

Omnilu Blue light therapy would be good for getting rid of the acne lesions, but I wouldn't expect any difference in redness.

Red light could also be good as it's supposed to have an anti-inflammatory effect (reducing redness)
According to my derm, Omnilux Blue will not help me much since I don't have the teenage acne type (pimples). I have red bumps on my cheeks. I did have pus papules, which he told me to take an OTC medication called Domeboro (aluminum acetate) to mix with distilled water and apply to my face for 15/20min. twice a day to dry out the pus and refresh my face. It worked.. but I still have the bumps. He said my condition is hard to treat or it takes a while to control since I'm at an accute stage, which the bumps are referred to as granulomous.

The IPL is more for the red veins, which I don't have, and dialated capillaries. Like I said, my stage is too advanced for this treatment to help. Also, you have to consider that these doctors pay $15-30,000 on these equipments that they have to sell this to you.

Last edited by bam007; 02-17-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

bam- yea definetly dont use any bp or anything harsh...i agree with the people on here who said IPL and maybe low dose accutane(im not recommending it though)...i dont have rosacea but i have flushing and red cheeks and i have had 3 ipls done so far and it has helped my flushing and some of my perm. redness (still waiting for results from my 3rd one). i dont have thread vains or visible capillaries, i really think it could help if you get 5 or more photoderms done. but they are expensive, mine are $300 a treatment. you could use finacea but i heard it thins the skin

Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #12

bam007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xismybaby
bam- yea definetly dont use any bp or anything harsh...i agree with the people on here who said IPL and maybe low dose accutane(im not recommending it though)...i dont have rosacea but i have flushing and red cheeks and i have had 3 ipls done so far and it has helped my flushing and some of my perm. redness (still waiting for results from my 3rd one). i dont have thread vains or visible capillaries, i really think it could help if you get 5 or more photoderms done. but they are expensive, mine are $300 a treatment. you could use finacea but i heard it thins the skin
Never heard of finacea, but I just searched for it online. The doctor never gave me this.. but maybe I can bring it up to him and get his thoughts on it, see what he says. Maybe after the accutane treament I can try the IPL, if I still have the red flushing... but right now my biggest concern are these red bumps. I hate for them to start scaring. I've had them for over 4mo.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:24 PM   #13

Sman HB User

dr nase recommends not to use finacea. {removed} If you do end up getting finacea stop using it if you have any burning or stinging reactions to it.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-21-2005 at 07:54 PM. Reason: doctors by name, city and state - only - no search instructions

Old 02-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #14
(female)

sydneysmommie HB User

There are several OTC products used for Rosacea...Stay away from any containing Glycolic...Unless your Derm says its ok. Gylcolic is VERY harsh on sensitive skin.

Dermalogica, All Derm professional products, some good ones at the health food store, Only look for products that say are safe with Rosacea. Not a product that says for sensitive skin.....Must say used for your problem.

Look it up on the web....You'll find some good ones...ask your doctor.

Good luck!

Closed Thread