It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

dee5 HB User
Ocular Rosacea

Does anyone have any info or experience with ocular rosacea? I've been suffering with it for 6 years now, been to many ophthal docs who say it is herpes, and have been on pred forte steroid drops & acyclovir for as long as a year at a time. I did have one doc who told me it was ocular rosacea, which after researching the symptoms makes the most sense, since I have had facial rosacea for 20 years. Whenever my rosacea flares up, my eye also flares up. I've also lost eyelashes. It all began when my eyelid seemed a little swollen and baggy. My eye then became very red, teary, and the sensation that something was in there. I was diagnosed with pink eye by the company MD & given a prescription for Sulfacetamide 10% OP Soln. It stung my eye so bad after the second dose, I stopped using it. By the next morning I could not see the hand in front of my face out of that eye. From then on I have been to many docs, but none seem to have the answer that helps. I now have permanent vision loss in that eye. If anyone has been successfully treated for ocular rosacea, I'd like to hear about your treatments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: Ocular Rosacea

Those with ocular rosacea are frequently under the care of a dermatologist and are referred for treatment when the patient develops related eye conditions. However, the ophthalmologist may also make the initial diagnosis with a routine eye exam and evaluation of the skin. Patients with this condition should avoid hot drinks, spicy foods, alcohol, or activities that cause the body temperature to become elevated. Care should be taken to protect the skin from ultraviolet light exposure by using sunscreen with a high SPF factor and wearing hats and sunglasses when outdoors.

Controlling skin inflammation may give marked relief of the eye conditions. Because of this, the eye physician and dermatologist often work together to treat the problem. Eye-related symptoms can often be relieved with warm (not hot) compresses on the lids, eyelid scrubs and artificial tears. Topical and/or oral antibiotics may also be prescribed to reduce symptoms.

It is important to have the right team work of a dermatologist and eye care profssional working and communicating to together in order to treat this problem disease.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread