It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User
Why is my face red?

Not only do I have red dots on my face from where old zits have been, but my overall complexion is red, especially my tzone. I can notice it a lot when I compare it to the skin color on my neck and chest. I am not using any acne medication. I am actually using the gentlest products (clearly natural glycerin bar and cetaphil or complex 15 moisturizer) Can anyone tell me why it is like this and how I can improve it?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Why is my face red?

you might have rosacea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

eve40 HB User

Sounds like 2nd, maybe beginning 3rd stage Rosacea, to me. Flushing, redness, burning, sometimes iching and acne. And, the acne is not exactly like normal acne, acne products will often make your face worse, rather then better. Those red bumps seem to never want to go away! They just somsetimes take weeks or even months.
I'll tell you how I got back to pre-rosacea stage. I did a series of 5 photofacials. Make sure you go in with a flush on. Drink a cup of coffee or exercise, anything to open those blood vessels. The tech/doctor should use the Rosacea protocols on you. It requires two passes across the affected areas, at different settings. If they don't know what the Rosacea protocols are, go elsewhere. NO NUMBING CREAM! It will close down the very blood vessels you want opened! As for the pain, it's nothing. It feels like a hot rubber band snapping your skin.
Take anywhere from 2 to 4 capsules of gradeseed extract a day. Depending on how reactive you are, you might be able to get away with one dose. I do 2 caps in the morning. Add to that a dose of Vitamine c ester.
Find your triggers, what is making you flush? For me, it is alcohol, in any form, even the kind in sugarless candy. Heat, sun, exercise, hot liquids and excitment, or emotional stress, are all common triggers. Do what you can to control them.
Many people can not use most lotions on their face. I am one of those types. I use cetiphil to cleanse and a cheap olive oil, vitamin e combo to moisturize. As a sunscreen I use mineral makeup, either loose or pressed. There are lots of good brands out there. Actually mineral makeup is the only makeup I use anymore, because my skin doesn't react to it.
If you are one of those who likes to experiment with product, I'm afraid those days are over. If you try a product and it causes a flush, or you notice your face flushing more then usual, stop using the product. Remember, Rosaceans cannot allow their skin to "get used" to a product, their skin won't, the reaction will just get worse. Remember, pushing a bad product on skin that has already shown a reaction to it, can send you into the next stage. Once you find a product that dose not cause a flush, after several weeks trial, stick with it. Wait a few minutes after cleansing, before you apply a moisturizer. I realize this goes against common beauty advice, but your skin isn't common, anymore. This gives your blood vessles a chance to close before assulting them again with moisturizer.
This is a very common and frustrating problem, partly genetic, some say partly hormonal, others say partly enviromental. Some people have it so bad, it rules their lives. But, you can manage it. I am almost always in pre-rosacea stage. Summer often sends me back into stage one, but I don't let it rule my life.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by eve40; 08-23-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
(male)

DiscoDan HB User

Whoa great post eve40, I'm afraid I have that stuff. My face is often really really red. I also blush a lot, and by blush i mean a deep, dark, Cherry Tomato, fire truck red. Could that be a warning sign?

Is there anything I can do, other than stop using products that make it worse?

Exercise? Does that make it worse?
Tanning?
Foods?

Please fulfill me with more of your knowledge!

Old 08-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Hi - I have it too, only in my eyes. (Yes, it hurts.)

There are several medications that help, both oral and topical. Heat and hot food are the most common triggers, but there are lots of others and everyone's different. For starters, though, stay out of direct sunlight and don't eat or drink anything too hot. Also, there are a LOT of websites. I'd start with looking up "Rosacea" on the American Academy of Dermatology website. If youhave insurance, go to a dermatologist.

Oh, and yes, flushing easily and flushing tomato-red are symptoms of rosacea.

Last edited by Crossbow; 08-30-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
(female)

bigcat808 HB User

you may have another condition that is called rosacea. which can have pimples , scales, and redness. i would confirm this with a dermatologist.

Closed Thread