It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

softball_stace HB User
Rosacea??

Help! The dreaded winter months are always agnoy for my skin! I think that I have rosacea....red, blotchy patches right over my cheek bones that usually start right after I get out of the shower in the morning and stay with me throughout the day. This only happens to me in the cold weather. Does anyone have a home remedy that they have heard of to get red of this? I don't want to go to the doctor and pay big $$$ for something that doesn't affect me too terribly other than I hate how it looks. I have heard of using cornstarch but not sure if this really works or how to go about using this. Please help!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Rosacea??

You can try a few things. Evening primrose oil, Riboflavin, or vitamin A. Do not take evening primrose oil if you're pregnant, nursing, or if you take phenothiazine epileptogenic drugs. Do not take Riboflavin if you're pregnant, nursing, taking oral contraceptives, antibiotics, or psychiatric drugs. Do not take too much vitamin A. Also if you're pregnant or want to become pregnant talk to your doctor before taking vitamin A. Too much can cause birth defects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

fidgety115 HB User

use a facial moisturizer....i have the same thing....clinique has the best lotions for me....i put lotion on my face twice a day and in the winter my skin isn't that bad anymore...if I skip a day, I am doomed.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
(female)

always smiling HB User

The lady at the Clinique counter just told me tonight that she thinks I may have rosacea. I think I may. I"ve been looking it up on the internet since I got home. I just read somewhere that you should NOT use cornstartch.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
(female)

babsbaby HB User

Yes I agree

Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Softball,
Rosacea sucks! You will have it for the rest of your life. But, you can keep it under control. There are triggers and, as you mentioned...heat is one of them. So, being that that seems to be your main trigger, try a slightly cooler shower. Not cold but, not too hot either. Other triggers are food such as spicey meals like Mexican and some Italian. Anything red like red wine, red sauces like spaghetti sauce, enchilada sauces, etc...Hot tubs, spas, and steam rooms are a no no.

Now, as far as how to treat it. First off, try to stay away from the above triggers but, keep in mind that a life lived is more important that your complexion. No one goes to their deathbed saying, I wish I had stayed away from my Rosacea triggers! Hehehe! Anyway, I have a routine that has worked for me as far as cleaning my face. I use Ponds Clean Sweep makeup removing clothes to remove my makeup. Then, every other day I use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque to remove all impurities and keep my 33 year old skin looking like a 20 something's skin. Then I use Olay Daily Facials Self Foaming discs. I think that is what they are called. I use those every day to wash my face. Once I am done cleansing my face, I use Ponds sensitive skin cream. Again, not sure that that is the exact name. But, it comes in a white container with a blue lid. It is gentle and seems to be the best moisturizer for my skin. One thing I want to mention is that, you may not find the same results since our skin may be very different. But, I have noticed that none of these products seem to trigger as much redness as others that I have tried in the past. And, my redness and blotchiness seems to get relief as long as I keep up with my Masque every other day. Heaven help my skin if I skip a day or two as I have because I have my yearly Christmas time cold and wasn't feeling up to my total routine! Hehehe!

Another thing I think may trigger some people's rosacea is fragrance so, you may want to try all fragrance free products to start with and see if that helps you at all. All of my products have fragrances but, it doesn't seem to bother me.

Remember that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. All of my products are pretty inexpensive. Even the masque is only about $4 and has lasted me at least 3 months. I have tried some of the more expensive stuff and just ended up wasting money. But, if you keep receipts you may be able to return anything that doesn't work for you.

I refuse to go back to my dermatologist with a request for any more rosacea relieving products. The first stuff I tried was about 8 or 9 years ago. Differin Gel! Worst stuff I have ever put on my face. Ever! I actually was wishing my skin would just finally melt off already since, that is what it felt like it was doing. Horrible.

Then, less than a year ago, I tried the metrogel. Maybe it works for some people but, it did nothing but cause me more flakiness (which is a problem for me except now that I am using my masque). It didn't burn, sting or hurt my skin at all but, it didn't help it either. You may have a better effect from it. I just would prefer to treat my rosacea on my own.

There are ways you can cover the redness up. I can't remember which for sure but either yellow or green concealors do the trick. You can look down the makeup aisle at concealors and it should say on the packaging which (the yellow or the green) tones redness down. I think it is yellow but, don't hold me to that.

Whew! Is this long enough? Hehehe! Sorry! I hope it helps!
Take care and keep in touch!

Old 01-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
(female)

summerluvr HB User

i have Rosacea.. it is common.. but still annoying..

go to the Doctor and get a prescription for Metro (you can get cream, or a gel). I use the gel. Apply twice daily to the face after cleansing. it works well. as soon as I don't use it for a couple days I get major break outs and flairs of red sensitiv itchy skin. I apply a normal moisturizer over the metrogel in the daytime, and then make up over that. I use cetaphil cleanser. i thought i had acne for many years but finally made an appointment with a dermatologist and got correctly diagnosed

Last edited by summerluvr; 01-06-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
(male)

arsalan88 HB User

Doesn't a fraxel laser treat and clear up Rosacea. I read on the internet that many spas do this laser to clear up Rosacea veins and redness.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I found straight emu oil to soften my skin and get the red out. especially beneficial in the dry cold months. I only use it before bed as its greasy. penetrates well and i wake with baby skin. tried everything else for years to get the red out and nothing worked but this.

ICC

Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
(male)

arsalan88 HB User

Where can I get emu oil from? Is it helpful in reducing the appearence of scars too?

Old 02-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
(female)

ajwall HB User

i've had bad acne due to bcp, i went to my derm and she gave me a prescrip for finacea. it's for rosacea, it's cleared up my acne and my face isn't red or blotchy anymore. it's around $50 w/copay for my insurance, but a tube will last like...almost two months .. use sparingly. but it's good, no peeling or crusty residue or stinging... it's been my lifesaver!! good luck!

Closed Thread