It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
(male)

Jonesy HB User
Unhappy Rosacea- am I going mad?

Went to the doctors today as i have been having the symptoms of rosacea and it happens after the common triggers like entering a hot room, eating something hot etc. I get a blotchy redness all over my face, and my eyes are extremely sensitive to light. I mentioned the word rosacea, and before he had asked ANY questions or looked at my skin at all, he laughed and said ' no you haven't got rosacea' like I was an idiot for even asking, and that its totally inconceivable that an 18 year old lad could have it. I really want to go to another doctor who is more helpful, although this twerp has made me think twice about it and question what I have. In my mind there is no doubt I have rosacea, even if only mild. I respond to the common triggers with a red blotchy face and my skin gets a bit puffy. I cannot believe this guy was so dismissive....... It's not like I can even get to see the dermatologist as you have to be reffered through the GP and he wasn't having any of it. Fool.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 03:23 PM   #2

GTI HB User
wow, u think very mature for a 18 yr. old. If a doctor straight out laughed at my paranoia, i would be happy. cause i would rathar have him laugh at me than go through some crap like rosacea. no, u are not too young for it. i got it at 17 or 18. i think it might be related to me using too many and too harsh peels and acids.

maybe it is a good idea to wait a bit and see if it really is rosacea. i know a feel ppl who get red very easily but they end up fine up to this day. maybe u're just the type with thin and sensitive skin.

trust me, if u got rosacea, u'll know it. u'll feel the heat in your face. u don't even have to check the mirror to see if u're blushing. your face would almost feel like having your worst embarrassment (thus the blushing) for a good hour.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
(female)

el_9_el HB User
grrrr, it annoys me when doctors make you feel an inconvenience and a hypochondriac. I'd get another doctor's opinion...a good doctor may tell you it's not rosacea, but he/she will thoroughlyl examine you and you'll leave the clinic believing their diagnosis!
(About 5 weeks ago I fell off my bike and took myself to the doc that night, complaining about a sore wrist. I could still bend it in some directions so the doctor scoffed at me and told me an X-ray wasn't necessary. He made me feel really stupid. 3 weeks later it was still hurting so I went back. Again, he claimed I didn't need an X-ray and it was just sprained. I demanded the X-rays. My doc looked at the xrays VERY briefly and claimed there was no fracture. Luckily another doctor happened to spot them later, and I was contacted and told I had a broken wrist...well duh! grrr. And because of the late treatment of my fracture it's less likely to re-align! - so yeah, some doctors suck..I'd find another if I were you)

Old 07-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #4

rhyuths HB User
hi i feel that i might have rosacea too and i am afraid to go to a derm and have the derm confirming it..so if your derm said it isnt rosacea, then what is it? and did he prescribe anything which would help it subside? i hate the redness and i really want it to go away. from an arms length distance i look like i have rosy cheeks but any closer..i think its just terrible. btw i dont seem to feel any heat, in fact i wouldnt even know its red unless i look in a mirror...so i still hope its not rosacea but i'll go to a derm next week

Old 07-02-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
(male)

Jonesy HB User
I certainly feel the heat and it's not something which goes away quickly. Bizzarely, the doctor decided it was hayfever!! At this point what he was saying lost all credibility, as I told him that I had had this problem since January. Hayfever in January with temperatues below zero?! Science was never my strong point but if I have hayfever in the middle of winter surely I deserve some kind of a prize!! I will leave it for a while and see what happens, and I may go to another doctor. I was so annoyed that he was so dismissive too, doctors are supposed to be understanding. To not even look at someone before telling them they haven't got something is simply out of order. To me it just screams of 'I can't be bothered checking you out for it'.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #6

swissmiss HB User
Its ok to vent...the doctor isn't God although he or she might believe otherwise.

The symptoms you are experiencing sound like rosacea to me or at least pre-rosacea.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Thumbs down

It's more like, "I don't want to lose my perks from your health plan." Doctors get more money from HMOs if they don't run a lot of tests on their patients.

Old 07-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #8

keysh HB User
You need a new doctor. This will sound sexist, but I find female doctors more sensitive. This is just my experience, but it has been consistent (for 25+ years).

Closed Thread