It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

Allergic1 HB User
Question Blister like Acne

I have a ton of food allergies. My Dr. has me on a rotation diet and I can still eat some of the food in moderation. Over the past 2 years, I began to get these painful blister like bumps on my face. Once I found out my new list of food allergies, I began to do some research. I am allergic to soy and found out that it can cause acne. I have figured out through a food diary that when I consume soy too often that I get these painful breakouts. I have cut back on soy tremendously and this week I had another bad breakout. Now I am thinking that there is something else causing the breakouts also. They don't look like a normal pimple, they are round and more flat like a blister, and they hurt. They do eventully turn white like a pimple but, it takes about a week to a week and half for them to change.

Is anyone else out there allergic to something else that causes blisters like these? What types of foods cause you to have these breakouts?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

Naturegal HB User
Re: Blister like Acne

Hi Alergic1,
I believe I've had the same thing myself for about 3 yrs, and the strange thing is I know one of my triggers is soy. Within a few hours of eating something that's a problem, I get these painful bumps, they are flat and not nodule like cystic acne. Then about three days later, I sometimes get a little white spot, like a pimple, then they drain clear fluid for about 3 days, you feel like it will never stop, then the skin shrivels and scabs. The whole process lasts a wk to a wk and a half. I only get them on my face, go figure. I have a couple right now, which yesterday I had some potato salad, which had Mayo, made w/soybean oil. I should know better. I think there are other triggers, but soy is #1. Is anyone else out there with this, and have you found anything to help stop this from happening. I've been to an allergist, and a dermatologist which gave me no solution. I think they think I'm nuts because by the time my appointment came up, I didn't have any to show them. They could only see the brown marks left behind. ANYONE ELSE??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
(female)

Allergic1 HB User

Naturegal,

Thanks for responding back, I was beginning to think I was alone on this issue!

I have been in serious cut back on soy and I have not had any of the blisters in a couple of months. I guess it is the soy, and only soy that causes them for me. My bumps drain clear fluid also and that is what was so strange to me. They are really painful for me to touch and they do leave brown marks also. They only show up on my face also. They usually show up in my side burn area and sometimes on my forehead and that is it. Because they usually drain that clear fluid I just assumed they were some type of blister.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

Naturegal HB User

Hi Allergic1,
So glad to hear from you Allergic1, and you're not alone, I do sympathize with you. These things are painful, the ones I have now are below the corner of my mouth, I usually get them everywhere on my face except my cheeks. I get them on the forehead, temple area, hairline, and below the mouth. I was hoping to see a dermatologist today, while I'm in the clear fluid draining stage, but it's almost impossible to get in the same day you call. I'm so glad your problem is getting better as long as you stay away from soy. I know I have other triggers, but like I said Soy is #1. I try to stay away from chicken, eggs, and certain fruits, I do have a long list, way too long for this board. The problem is if you eat out or go to dinner over a friends house, you are some times unable to avoid a trigger. Most of my friends are used to my restrictions, which is good, and are supportive. Did you put anything on your bumps that may have helped? I know if I put H-peroxide, the area fizzes like crazy, even before the clear fliud stage, my skin will turn white. Any suggestions?
Thank you!!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
(female)

Allergic1 HB User

Naturegal,

I sometimes use a benadryl stick or alcohol. If they get too unbearable then I cheat and drain them with a straight pin. Really being strict with the soy seems to be my only relief.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
(female)

Naturegal HB User

Hi Allergic1,
Thanks for the tip on the Benadryl, I did run out and get some Benadryl pills (the dye-free allergy ones) and cream when I was in the draining stage of these things. It would probably be better to take them as soon as you see some brewing under the skin. Anyway, I only took two benadryl pills the first day and one the second day, which seemed to help with the draining stage, it seemed to cut it down to a day and a half, verses 3 days. Also I did break down and go to the dermatologist AGAIN, this time seeing the dr.'s assistant, she suggested we take a biopsy of the area and see if we can get an answer, which I agreed to, so at the moment I have a couple of stitches on my face, and should get the results this Thurs. The only thing I'm nervous about is the bumps were already drying up, I believe from the benadryl pills, and hopefully I'll get an answer that I can also share with you... When I told the dr. what I thought about this being a allergic reaction to soy and other things, she kind of looked at me with ten heads, FRUSTRATING... they never want to believe that. That's when she suggested the biopsy. She said she wanted to see if it comes back as something Viral, or bacterial, etc.. We shall see... I'll keep you posted.
All the Best!!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
(female)

Allergic1 HB User

I have never tried taking benadryl for the bumps. Benadryl makes me so very sleepy that I only uses it for emergencies or extreme cases. Hopefully the dermatologist can shed some light on this, be sure to let me know. It frustrates me that so many people, including Doctors are not willing to acknowledge that allergies can cause a multitude of problems. I wish people would recognize that everybodies body is different and can react differently to different things, and that no one knows our bodies better than ourselves. People are so quick to think if it is not in a textbook or on the internet then it cannot be true.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
(female)

Naturegal HB User

Hi Allergic1,
Well I went to the dr.'s today to have my stitches out and hopefully get an answer. The Dr. told me that nothing conclusive came back, go figure, the biopsy they took was not viral, or bacterial. They had? Rosecea. Now, I don't think I mentioned it before, but I went to see a different dermatologist over a yr ago, who listened to me for all of 2 minutes and said I had Rosecea. I did mention that to this dr., who said, "I don't think its Rosecea", that's when she suggested a biopsy. Rosecea is triggered by lots of things, foods, stress, getting overheated by weather or working out. So maybe that's my answer. I guess I have to go with it for now. The dr. I saw over a year ago did give me some Finacea gel, which didn't seem to help or hurt the condition, that's why I was still questioning that diagnosis. Plus I didn't have the typical red face, across the nose and cheeks, mine is almost the opposite. But I guess there are different forms of the disease. Hope this helps you and others out there. I'll try and keep up with the post if anything changes.
God Bless All!!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
(female)

Allergic1 HB User

Naturegal,

Thanks for the update. I hate when Dr.'s make up something. I would rather that they just say that they don't have the slightest clue! I guess we just have to keep avoiding soy as much possible!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
(female)

Naturegal HB User

No, Thank you Alergic1, it's been good to here from someone who can relate to my condition. I forgot to mention that the dr. did give me Doxycyline 20mg to be taken 2x a day; she said they sometimes give this to patients’ w/rosacea. I did tell her that I have been very sensitive to any medication, supplements etc, and for this reason DO NOT take anything, because it usually causes a reaction. And sure enough I've been taking doxycycline for a few days, and feel like it is causing a problem. Bumps that were healing are filling up with fluid again, and a couple of new ones appeared in the last couple of days, so I'm going to stop. Is this Rosacea??? Or is it something that has some of the same characteristics as Rosacea, GOD only knows!!
I'm still not too sure about the Benadryl; because that is something I just tried last wk, which seemed to help a little at the time. We shall see!
All the best!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
(female)

Allergic1 HB User

Naturegal,

Good luck! I hope you can get the bottom of your bumps. If you figure out anything let me know and I will do the same but, in the meantime I am going to try to avoid soy as much as possible.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
(male)

frodosfeet HB User
Smile Re: Blister like Acne

There are four subtypes of rosacea. While I'm not a dr. one of the subtypes of rosacea is similar to what you are describing. I encourage seeing a dermatologist. I have a different type of rosacea and with the skin care regimen my dermatologist instructed and the medicated cream it's under control.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
(female)

Naturegal HB User

Hi Frodosfeet,
Thanks for the information. You mentioned that there are 4 subtypes of Rosecea, is your Rosecea like what Alergic1 and myself are describing? Whether yes or no, can you share what your regimen is to keep this under control?
all the best!!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
(male)

frodosfeet HB User

I'm allergic to dust mites, cedar, and sulfa drugs. Steering clear of sulfa drugs is not a problem. It's not cedar season (thank goodness!!). I think it was on The National Rosacea Society site that dust mites may play a role in rosacea. To clear up my rosacea, my dermatologist put me on one month of Topicort Cream, followed by one month of Lipocoid Cream. Every night I use Cetaphil liquid cleanser on my face. Every morning I use Elta MD SPF 45 lotion. Also at night I use Elidil around my eyes, then Aqua Glycolic lotion all over the rest of my face, then Noritate Cream on my cheeks and nose.

Topicort, Locoid, Elidil, and Noritate are rx. Aqua glycolic and Elta MD are otc. I don't know if I would use the aqua glycolic on the blister type rosacea, because of the fruit acids in the aqua glycolic it tingles/burns the first few times you use it.

I think it's best to see a dermatologist.

Closed Thread