It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User
Butterfly rash?

For those of you who have experienced it or seen it on someone...how did it start? A few days ago I noticed with red line across the center of my nose. Kinda looks as if something was pressing against my nose...but it isn't going away. I'm probably just being paranoid but I have some symptoms of lupus and my kidney doctor did the ANA test and I'm still waiting for the results. With the butterfly rash (I believe thats what it's called? Forgive me if I'm mistaken...) does it start in a small area and then expand? What does it look like exactly?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Butterfly rash?

Hi. Like everything else in lupus (so it seems), I've read there's a range of appearance, e.g., from light pink to deeper color; from smooth skin to little pustules; etc. And I recently saw something on how you distinguish rosacea from a butterfly rash. (I didn't understand it, unfortunately.)

Have your drs. seen your rash? Did you get your ANA result back yet? Did your kidney dr. *also* order more specific autoantibody tests, like anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, etc.?

While blood results are certainly key aspects of a Dx, they aren't the only ones, as you can see from the ACR criteria, which are laid out in one of the "sticky posts" at the top of the thread list. I learned this the long & hard way, as I am in that VERY small percent who remained ANA-negative but was positive for anti-Ro. I really hope your recent tests bring clarity. Let us know how you're doing, OK? And good luck! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Take a picture of your rash to show your doctor. They might be able to tell you if it is Lupus related or not.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
(female)

lupus54 HB User

I have been dx with Lupus since 1995. The rash on my face started about 2-3 years ago. It began as a small dark rash on both cheek bones. My skin was smooth. Saw a dermatologist who gave me a steroid cream and told me it may or may not help. About 6mo-1yr it has not gone away. I am an african american woman, my skin was a brown skin and has since gotten very dark. Still trying to deal with it. I use concealer to help and can't stand the idea of people staring at me. My husband says its okay, but.

Closed Thread