It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
(male)

ontask HB User
Best Rosacea Treatments? Oral? Topical?

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Rosacea by a dermatologist this year after suffering from red raised patches on my cheeks and forehead for the past 8 years. Although it wasn't that bad at the beginning. Anyhow I demanded to have a skin scraping done which came back positive for Demodex folliculorum mites and Malassezia yeast species. The mites are often implicated as the cause of Rosacea while the yeast is usually linked to Seborrhoeic Dermatitis.

Rather than accept the treatment proposed by the Dr ( long term low dose antibiotics) I decided to research things myself and found case study in a scientific journal whereby a man in his fifties had a major facial infestation with these mites. They tried all the scabies treatments and as a last ditch effort tried oral Metronidazlole 250mg three times daily for two weeks. This cleared his infestation permanently.

I ended up taking this article to my GP and asked him to try the Metronidazole. He gave me 400mg three times daily for two weeks which cleared the mites and the red patches completely. I also took Clarithromycin 250mg twice daily over the same period to take care of residual Ocular Rosacea. I have had many styes (chalazions)over the years cut out by an eye surgeon which i finally worked out to be down to these same mites. It's been more than two months and I haven't had a recurrence. I should note that this won't treat the yeast problem which I still have.

Precautions that I took to prevent reinfestation included:
changing shower gel, face wash, shampoo and conditioner to pH balanced alternatives. The skin has a protective acid mantle (pH 4 -6.5) that is stripped away by regular alkaline soaps and shampoos. This makes it easier for microbes and parasites to take up residence. Try to find ones as natural as possible pref with some essential oils. Email the manufacturer as I did to be sure of the pH (should be no higher than 6.5).

Washing all sheets and pillow cases on hot cycle with a few drops of lavender essential oil and tea tree. I also used a fresh pillow case each night during and after treatment for a few weeks.

Use of pH balanced natural moisturiser. Being a guy it was the first time I had used one.

On a final note, if it turns out you have these mites then I would advise you to ask your Dr for Tinidazole as opposed to Metronidazole. As tinidazole came back negative for carcinogenicity studies in mice and rats while metronidazole came back positive, but is has a similar action. 2 weeks prob isn't long enough exposure but better to be on the safe side. I only discovered this after I had been treated. Tinidazole prob comes in different dosage.

Post any questions. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
(male)

ontask HB User
Re: Best Rosacea Treatments? Oral? Topical?

Hi, I should add that to get a representative sample from a skin scraping it's best to have whoever is doing it to use a scalpel. I know it sounds risky but used properly you shouldn't end up with any cuts.

I only mention this because the first scraping I had done by a phelobotomist was performed using a plastic card. This only scraped superficial dead skin cells, with the test coming back negative. To get a sample with the mites requires scraping further down. So for the second time i had my Dr do it personally. Also stop using any creams or lotions you've been taking to treat the skin. This'll ensure you have a full blown population of the blighters if you have them at all, leading to a positive diagnosis and then a course of treatment. It's the unconfirmed diagnosis that leaves so many people in limbo. I know, I've been there.

Let me know how you get on.

Last edited by ontask; 12-03-2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: wrong syntax

Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

Bekki659 HB User

I was doing some research as well after being told by a doctor that I had regular acne (I dont think the diagnosis was correct), and thought that this looked similar to what was wrong with my skin.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-02-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
(male)

ontask HB User

There is def a possibility that they could be wrong. My dermatologist didn't even mention demodex mites as a possibility when he told me I had rosacea, which really worries me. It seems they just get comfortable with their set treatment regimes and stick to that and don't seem bothered keeping up to date with new developments. If i'd listened to him I would have spent a lot more money on fees and would prob still be on low dose antibiotics simply managing the disease rather than curing it - which i hope i have. Have a look at images online of people with rosacea and see if your blemishes look similar and then maybe ask your doctor for a skin scraping to get a definitive answer. Hope things work out.

Closed Thread