It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Burning Skin

Ok, since the birth of my little one this is the newest symptom. First it started just in both of my legs now its all over!!!! My skin feels like its burning 24/7!

I went to the Dr for my legs, he checked my pulses in my feet all normal and ran a complete metabolic blood test. All was fine except for my higher thyroid number (which im on meds for now).

I know many with fibro suffer from this symptom.....but, what do you guys do for it????

Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

deltastarr HB User
Re: Burning Skin

Hi Hope4all, I get a burining sensation a lot in my feet, legs, and hands. It sometimes feels like it is just my skin but many times the burning feeling feels very deep. If I swat a fly or clap my hands, WOW! the burning/pain gets much worst and lasts a few hours with lesser pain for days. The only thing I've noticed is that "time" seems to be the only thing that does anything...unfortunately. It seems like the sensation has to run its course. I try and lay down/rest more at those times as the other Fibro symptoms are usually present also. When I do heavy lifting or overdo or over tire myself, I get the burning...not as often as other symptoms thankfully tho. Hugs and Blessings, deltstarr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Sometimes only in my legs. I get this burning spasm that comes and goes. But It drives me insane. I usually use ice packs or take some Ibuprofen and give in and go to bed and the next day it's gone.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Gentle hugs to you. How awful. Things to avoid during this type of flare is sun exposure, heat, alcohol, spicy foods, hot drinks, and hot baths (duh!). Skin should be cleansed with lukewarm water only and patted, not rubbed, dry. Skin care products should be screened for dyes, fragrances, and other irritating substances such as alcohol and botanicals containing mint or citrus extracts. Baby your skin and use gentle moisterizer such as Elta's or Surgeon's Skin Secret. You might try taking Benedryl which can help if histamine is out of wack. Are you able to tolerate clothing? Do you have trouble with Rosacea? Are you also itchy?

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

I had burning in my legs and feet and it drove me nuts. Late summer/early fall I had nerve blocks and ablations done arount my tailbone and they don't burn any more.

This is the first I've heard of the burning all over. I wonder what it is. I read in a book of something called neuropraxia. It's your myofascial tissue in knots all over. The fascial tissue is like the silvery membrane that covers all muscle tissue. You wouldn't think something that thin could cause so much trouble. It causes aching pains, numbness, tingling and hypersensitivity. Maybe a treat of myofascial release might help in baby steps. It could be from the new baby, being a mom, plus the fibro thing all together catching up with you. My heart goes out to you. I hope this may give you something else to look at as a possible reason for these new problems.

DeBeachSiren

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBeachSiren View Post
Hi,

I had burning in my legs and feet and it drove me nuts. Late summer/early fall I had nerve blocks and ablations done arount my tailbone and they don't burn any more.

This is the first I've heard of the burning all over. I wonder what it is. I read in a book of something called neuropraxia. It's your myofascial tissue in knots all over. The fascial tissue is like the silvery membrane that covers all muscle tissue. You wouldn't think something that thin could cause so much trouble. It causes aching pains, numbness, tingling and hypersensitivity. Maybe a treat of myofascial release might help in baby steps. It could be from the new baby, being a mom, plus the fibro thing all together catching up with you. My heart goes out to you. I hope this may give you something else to look at as a possible reason for these new problems.

DeBeachSiren
Thanks..........I think Im having soooo many problems because I did just give birth 6 weeks ago, and we do NOT heal quickly. I tried finding another Dr, both pain management and Rheumatologist......but all that take my insurance do NOT treat fibro patients. So Im at a loss of what to do

I took Vicodin before pregnancy and now I really don't want to go back to my pain management dr because he was a quack! Yes, he gave me pain meds but he had no clue what he was doing, I didn't feel safe with him.

Unfortunately my regular pcp doesn't prescribe pain pills for anyone for any type of problem. Its just really hard with 4 kids, homeschooling and taking care of all the household chores!!!!!!! Ok, I don't do the chores........my 3 older kids do most of the cooking and cleaning........I take care of the baby

Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User
Wink Re: Burning Skin

Hi Hope,

Boy do you have your hands full. I had 4 kids too but when I got fibro they were old enough, like high school or out. They had chores too. It was plain old hard to keep up with a large family and all that goes with it when you're well. It must be really overwhelming for you at times.

I love my pain doctor, he's the best on the mid-atlantic coast.

Is there a support group in your area? That'd be a good place to start. Also your insurance company may be able to help you out with that too. I've called and asked for specific types of doctors and sometimes they have a site with information on it. I've also gotten the phone book out and started calling different doctors offices and asked if they take care of fibro patients and went from there also.

There has to be someone in your area that helps fibro people. It's true that sometimes doctors don't give pain medication and others dole them out. I'm glad that you know that the pain doctor didn't make you feel safe.
Somewhere deep inside we kind of know when things aren't right and our first thought is usually right. I'll be thinking of you.

DeBeachSiren

Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
(female)

Snickers60 HB User
Post Re: Burning Skin

If I can stand to get in water....sometimes I can't, I put a box of epsom salt and 2 bottles of peroxide in it, (lukewarm water - not hot) and soak. I don't know what about it helps but it has magneisum in it and it pulls out toxins. Other than that, I find that TIME has to run it's course with it. I have it now and it hurts to even wash my hands. We have a very high barometer and it's very cold here right now......in a deep freeze for the south, so I'm thinking that has a lot to do with it too as all weather does. Some worse than others.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

2ufrankie HB User

Hi am new to the board. I have the same burning in legs and arms and I take neurontin 3 times a day and it has been a blessing. I know that alot of people do not want to take this drug, but if you can get through the effects for about a week it really does the trick and I dont have any side effects anymore. My doc calls it peripheral neropathy (dont think I spelled it right). People with diabetes have this, but I don't have diabetes. Mind is caused by my fibro. Hope this helps. I have had fibro for 30 years.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBeachSiren View Post
Hi Hope,

Boy do you have your hands full. I had 4 kids too but when I got fibro they were old enough, like high school or out. They had chores too. It was plain old hard to keep up with a large family and all that goes with it when you're well. It must be really overwhelming for you at times.

I love my pain doctor, he's the best on the mid-atlantic coast.

Is there a support group in your area? That'd be a good place to start. Also your insurance company may be able to help you out with that too. I've called and asked for specific types of doctors and sometimes they have a site with information on it. I've also gotten the phone book out and started calling different doctors offices and asked if they take care of fibro patients and went from there also.

There has to be someone in your area that helps fibro people. It's true that sometimes doctors don't give pain medication and others dole them out. I'm glad that you know that the pain doctor didn't make you feel safe.
Somewhere deep inside we kind of know when things aren't right and our first thought is usually right. I'll be thinking of you.

DeBeachSiren
I tried the phone book prior to finding out I was pregnant, and unfortunately I talked to my insurance company too. All to no avail !

My mother did run into a lady who also has fibro and she see's a Dr that prescribes pain meds for her. He's a regular pcp, and he's in my area and takes my insurance. I may make an appt to talk to him BUT I love my pcp, he takes very care of me with other problems.......so I would really hate to give him up.

I guess I will see this Dr and I will have a decision to make.

I'm also going to try the epsom salt and see if that takes the sting away.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I have had it all over my body to where i was hopping on my feet. The only thing that helped was neurontin 600 mg.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
(female)

2ufrankie HB User

You're right. I started out with 900mg about 6 years ago and am now up to 1200mg and it really does the trick for me. I just find that some people are afraid to take neurotin because of the side effects, but they do get better with a little time.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was on Neurontin at one point but it did nothing for me, BUT I didn't have this symptom. I may have to try it again Thanks for the info

Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
(female)

Rits9 HB User

I have had severe burning in my mucsles for about 2 years. I was on Nerountin in the beginning . Then I went off it because I didn't think it was helping. I'm on Lyrica and it isn't doing anything for the burning. I found that ativan helps a lot but it's so addicting. I might try to go on Nerountin again. Good luck to you!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Its not my muscles though, its my skin Im on Xanax for my anxiety but its not doing a thing for my pain.

Closed Thread