It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #1

JC52 HB User
Post Anyone have rosacea?

Just another 'welcome to menopause' sign on my face. I used to have the best skin...now I have rosacea. Been to a dermatologist who put me on Metrolotion and a special cleanser and antibiotics. And while that's taken the lovely zits away I'm left with red patches on my cheeks. Has anyone had the laser thing done that's supposed to lighten things up? Also, my doctor told me I might have to take antibiotics the rest of my life. I really hesitate to do that. Anyone have any success with ridding yourself of this lovely stuff?
JC52

Old 03-01-2003, 05:46 AM   #2

Molly McPherson HB User
I have rosacea myself. It is worse in the winter. In the beginning I had the same problem with hard zits, I was on antibiotics for a few months. It cleared up my skin and I haven't had the hard zits for a while. The doctor put me on MetroCream twice a day it helps somewhat. I hate the redness also but your skin will look better in the summer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Rosacea is not specifically related to menopause as I have had it for years. There is not much you can do for it except the metrocream aka metrogel and using antibiotics. Yes the antibiotics will probably be needed for the rest of your life. I only take mine every other month though to give my body a break since if it was up to me I'd prefer no antibiotics at all. Be sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take acidophillis capsules to help prevent yeast infections. Be sure to only use very mild soap for washing you face such as ivory. Avoid the use of cosmetics as well as facial creams as all of these can aggrivate things. You will also want to be sure to use a SPF sunscreen when the sun is out.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
I don't have your condition but am wondering what the lifetime antibiotic is for?...I occasionally need an antibiotic for this and that but boy the side effects are so bad that I can't imagine having to take one everyday. I would have a terminal yeast infection.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:32 PM   #5

TrudiD HB User
I've been on hormones of one kind or annother for most of my life, birth control pills from about 25 - 39, then a total hysterectomy and premarin, not estradiol.
I've always had a little redness, but it really became bad in the last 3 years. I went to a dermatologist who pronouced it rosecea, perscribed the gel, and did laser treatments. I looked great for about 2 weeks and then it was right back.
I would NEVER consider taking anti-biotic 'for life', that is a really bad idea.
I've recently cut my estradiol back to 1/2 mg and begun using emerita progesterone cream. All of my 16 complaints seem better, depression, bloat, etc. but all of these could just be the placebo effect.
BUT amazingly my rosecea is fading. It began fading after only 3 days! I was astonished. The good effect is real, visibly real, not the placebo effect. I surmise that estrogen dominance/un balanced estrogen was causing the rosecea and that the progesterone cream had counter this effect. But of course we will never know for sure, because the big pharmiceutical companys can't patent the cream they are not about to spend any money on sutdies or trials--------so I guess I'll just keep trying things.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

skymom HB User
Re: Anyone have rosacea?

I have had rosacea for about 10 years, (I'm 41), the worst part for me is my nose, I have those tiny red veins all over which is so ugly. Anyway, I have just had my second IPL treatment (intense pulsed light), you have to wait three weeks in between as the redness continues to disappear during that time. So far I have seen a slight improvement and am really really hopeful. I thought it would be really expensive and I was thrilled to find out my doctor's office charges $85 per session. If I can get this redness and red veins reduced for under $500 I consider that a bargain! For the first time also I've found someone who actually has solid recommendations for me about what cleansers and make-up to use. They are recommending mineral make-up. I'm going to do everything I can to try to keep this stuff from getting so bad again.

Closed Thread