It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #31
(female)

Sakuhr HB User
Re: Itchy, swollen, peeling eyelids

I've experienced swollen red itchy eyes every week or two since the end of March (now mid June). I initially thought I had an infection and got rid of all my make-up. Well, a week later my eyes flared up again, and it wasn't until the 4th time within a month that I decided to see a doctor.
He told me I looked like I got punched in the eyes and prescribed a low dose of prednisone. It worked wonderfully, but obviously it's not smart to stay on a steroid for a long period of time. I was referred to an allergist and am waiting to go for my allergy testing appointment in two weeks.
I have never had allergy issues my entire life (25 years old), however, this year I think they all came out and now I'm having major issues. First my eyes will get watery, the corners of my eyes will get red because I wipe them so much, my eyes will slowly start to feel as if there's a red burning rash, and I'll then wake up the next morning with insanely swollen itchy eyelids. This lasts for about 48 hours and then it fades. A week or two later, it'll happen again. I am hoping that after my testing I will be given something to prevent the swelling all together. The swelling is honestly the worst part, because its impossible to cover up in public and when the swelling goes down my eyes are left wrinkly and peeling for another day or two.
After a few months of buying loads of eye drops, creams, and different allergy meds I have finally found a good combination of products that's helps each time I feel the symptoms coming on.

1. Opcon-A is a great eye drop with antihistamine to control the horrible itching. When I went for my fist allergy appointment I was prescribed Paladay and given a free sample. That stuff is over $80 even with insurance, so I searched for a cheaper alternative. Opcon-A is just as good or better for less than $10. I put drops in my eyes every 6 hours and haven't had itchy eyes since I started. (Knock on wood)
2. I take one Zyrtec each morning which seems to manage my teary eyes.
3. Every 4 to 6 hours I rub Equaline Anti Itch cream with Healing aloe. This has been awesome controlling the burning rash feeling and inflammation/puffiness. Plus, it's less than $5. I love this stuff. Will bring it wherever I go as long as my eyes keep having issues. And aloe is great for rashes or any burning feeling.
4. I keep a bottle of Benadryl allergy pills in my purse just in case. I would not use the anti-itch Benadryl cream because it doesn't really soothe the eye itch, it just kind of burns initially.

Ok, sounds like a lot. But so far it's been worth it. Beats the fear of waking up with swollen eyes and so far this routine has prevented an outbreak all together. Will update if this streak of normal eyes ends while using these products. But I strongly recommend these things if you are experiencing red, itchy, burning, swollen eyelids.
I hope to god my terrible allergies this year is just a fluke and related to the ultra-warm /lack of a winter. I can't imagine having to go through this each spring, but at least I've narrowed down the products that seem to work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #32
(female)

PJTBREEZY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke12 View Post
Mssewnsew,

I hope you are still around so I can tell you what has helped me. I had never had a problem with my eyes in any way until almost two years ago (will be two years in Feb). I woke up one morning and my eyes were itchy and swollen so bad they were darn near swollen shut. However, no gooey stuff like pink eye. It was not that. Just swollen and itchy.

By the next day they were red and scaly.

Well, for 3 months I suffered with this, wearing no makeup and spending hours a day online, reading posts and trying every remedy. Saw two different derms and one did an allergy test, testing me for everything imaginable, as I had to bring samples in of different things I was exposed to.

Meanwhile I had thrown out all my makeup and washed all of my brushes (which I do anyway, quite regularly). I thought it was an allergic reaction to nickel, to pink or purple eyeshadow, as well as a myriad of other things. Problem was, I removed these items from my life and nothing changed!

Finally, after 3 months of constant swelling (it sometimes went down as the day went on, but always swollen in the morning and always red and scaly and itchy), I read to try coconut oil. I was so desperate I bought some at Trader Joes, and after washing my face and eyes, slathered that stuff on! Well, overnight I had a huge improvement, and within a week I was completely cured of this.

Okay, cut to two weeks ago. No signs of anything coming back ever, until two weeks ago my husband and I were in the movie theater, after an afternoon of shopping. I had a little itch on my eyelid (right where one would wear eyeliner), and I scratched it. Almost immediately I could feel it swelling up. I panicked and ran to the bathroom and it was swelling, as well as the other eye swelling a bit.

By the time the movie was over and we were home, it was full blown swollen, and by the next morning all scaly again. I was devastated. Could not go through this again!

The itching was even more unbearable this time around than the first.

Well, I keep the coconut oil on hand anyway as it is a good moisturizer I discoverd, so I started using that on my lids again, and was back on the computer after a day because it didn't seem to have helped "overnight" this time. Did more reading, and did the warm washcloth compresses on the eyes to soften up the scales, and then washed with warm water and baking soda. Incredibly fine and not grainy, but it helped to wash off any scaly stuff that was loose. I kept at the coconut oil too. No makeup of course. Did this all day long...washing and more coconut oil. By the next day, I woke and hardly any swelling, and my eyes were so much better. All told, from day one at the movies to when it was COMPLETELY gone, was 10 days, but really I think I can say by 8 I was over it. I added two for good measure.

I credit the coconut oil mostly, but I think that using the baking soda and water probably helped a lot. I never had much look with baby shampoo, and I do have Thera tears eye wash, which I washed with first (oh and also started using Thera tears eye drops, as I read that "dry eye" can cause this problem, by making your eyes shed tears that cause a reaction on the skin).

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I wanted to help with suggestions, as I know so very well how frustrating it is. I sit here over mine right now...in fear of another breakout. But, I am pretty convinced that I have it figured out now. Am going to continue with the baking soda a couple times a week, and the eye drops twice a day. I do not know if I have dry eye, but these can't hurt.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
(female)

PJTBREEZY HB User

Hi Brooke,
I have had red itchy eyelids for about 6 Months. I have tried neosporin, baby shampoo (which worked the first time) then it made everything worse. Went to ER it was so bad. It's a long story and you have covered a lot. I have been told staph, allergic reaction, and contact reaction. I am going to try un-refined coconut oil.
Thank You

Reply Reply