It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

mssewnsew HB User
Smile Itchy, swollen, peeling eyelids

Hi, new to this today. Seem imformative, a little difficult to use to post a question, probably because I'm a novice.

Well enough of that and on to my topic. A month ago my family and I were on an outdoor outing. All that good stuff available in the end of summer and early fall floating, invisible in the air. Pollen or allergens whatever you wish to call it. On the way home, after about 6 hours in the stuff, we had a big laugh over something and just kept it up most of the 1 1/2 hours home. I was crying I was laughing so much; tears eyerwhere. I had not had any trouble with my eyes at all. Later on my eyes and eyelids and under my eyes felt like I had gotten fresh, stinging ocean water in them. Mostly my left eye. I also wear contacts and they were so dry I could not hardly see they were so dry. They felt this way for a few days. It got a little better but in the mornings my eyes were all crusty.

Its about a month later and now my eyelids are still burning and swollen and peeling. I read on the site about Blepharitis and wonder if that might be what I have. I did at some time in the last 20 years remember I had to wash my eyelids and around my eyes with J_______ Baby Shampoo because it was tearless and would not sting my eyes but would clean all the bad cuties out.

I've been to the Dr. and dermatologists most of my life for weird skin problems, but haven't been recently for lack of funds. I lost my job - fired, from being a waitress of all things about 2 months ago. One of my old, retired dermatologists would ask me when I had some "flare up" what my "boyfriend had done to upset me?" He assumed that a lot of my problems were nerve associated. Yes that's quite possible.

I also stopped taking all my drugs (ie: vitamins, and herbals) since I didn't need all the "help" keeping me going on my non-existent job. This according to some of the testimonials I've read might be another cause. Lack of iron maybe or some other substance I was getting enough of.

I also remember as a child I had some horrible head type of problem like severe dandruff. Also necessitating some Rx type medicines. That goodness my parents other 3 kids didn't have these type of problems.

I hoping if anyone has any other advice they'd pass it along, SOOOOOON!
Thanks - A -

Last edited by mssewnsew; 11-09-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

Brooke12 HB User
Re: Itchy, swollen, peeling eyelids

Mssewnsew,

I hope you are still around so I can tell you what has helped me. I had never had a problem with my eyes in any way until almost two years ago (will be two years in Feb). I woke up one morning and my eyes were itchy and swollen so bad they were darn near swollen shut. However, no gooey stuff like pink eye. It was not that. Just swollen and itchy.

By the next day they were red and scaly.

Well, for 3 months I suffered with this, wearing no makeup and spending hours a day online, reading posts and trying every remedy. Saw two different derms and one did an allergy test, testing me for everything imaginable, as I had to bring samples in of different things I was exposed to.

Meanwhile I had thrown out all my makeup and washed all of my brushes (which I do anyway, quite regularly). I thought it was an allergic reaction to nickel, to pink or purple eyeshadow, as well as a myriad of other things. Problem was, I removed these items from my life and nothing changed!

Finally, after 3 months of constant swelling (it sometimes went down as the day went on, but always swollen in the morning and always red and scaly and itchy), I read to try coconut oil. I was so desperate I bought some at Trader Joes, and after washing my face and eyes, slathered that stuff on! Well, overnight I had a huge improvement, and within a week I was completely cured of this.

Okay, cut to two weeks ago. No signs of anything coming back ever, until two weeks ago my husband and I were in the movie theater, after an afternoon of shopping. I had a little itch on my eyelid (right where one would wear eyeliner), and I scratched it. Almost immediately I could feel it swelling up. I panicked and ran to the bathroom and it was swelling, as well as the other eye swelling a bit.

By the time the movie was over and we were home, it was full blown swollen, and by the next morning all scaly again. I was devastated. Could not go through this again!

The itching was even more unbearable this time around than the first.

Well, I keep the coconut oil on hand anyway as it is a good moisturizer I discoverd, so I started using that on my lids again, and was back on the computer after a day because it didn't seem to have helped "overnight" this time. Did more reading, and did the warm washcloth compresses on the eyes to soften up the scales, and then washed with warm water and baking soda. Incredibly fine and not grainy, but it helped to wash off any scaly stuff that was loose. I kept at the coconut oil too. No makeup of course. Did this all day long...washing and more coconut oil. By the next day, I woke and hardly any swelling, and my eyes were so much better. All told, from day one at the movies to when it was COMPLETELY gone, was 10 days, but really I think I can say by 8 I was over it. I added two for good measure.

I credit the coconut oil mostly, but I think that using the baking soda and water probably helped a lot. I never had much look with baby shampoo, and I do have Thera tears eye wash, which I washed with first (oh and also started using Thera tears eye drops, as I read that "dry eye" can cause this problem, by making your eyes shed tears that cause a reaction on the skin).

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I wanted to help with suggestions, as I know so very well how frustrating it is. I sit here over mine right now...in fear of another breakout. But, I am pretty convinced that I have it figured out now. Am going to continue with the baking soda a couple times a week, and the eye drops twice a day. I do not know if I have dry eye, but these can't hurt.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
(female)

Brooke12 HB User

Want to add that if you do try the coconut oil, buy the "unrefined" and it comes in a jar. It may turn to liquid if the house is warm, or may stay a solid if it is cool or typical room temp.

Either way is fine. Now for winter it will probably stay solid. What I do is I use a plastic baby spoon and I wash it with antibacterial soap before dipping it into the jar. I wash it each time, so I am not releasing any bacteria into the jar. Never use the fingers, even if just washed.

You could use a Q tip too if you want, and just throw it out.

After putting it on your eyes and under your eyes, let it sit a minute or so, then gently dab with a clean cloth (I have cloth diapers I keep on hand for this type of thing. Not the prefolded but the big ones). Just dab off the excess and the rest will soak in. I think you should be able to use a kleenex too, if you don't keep them near the toilet (I worry about any bacteria floating in the air and getting on the kleenex...I'm super hygenic in trying to cure this darn thing!).

This last time I also had the scaly red skin under my eyes. The first time it did not travel down there.

Good luck if you get this, but I hope that you are over it by now anyway! It is just misery and it is rather embarassing to always look either like you've been sobbing your eyes out all night or are diseased!!

Last edited by Brooke12; 11-17-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Adding more info.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

Hi Brooke

I have exactly what you "HAD" going on mostly on my right eyelid. A little on my left. Red, itchy, swollen,dry, peeling eyelids. It's been going on for about 2 months now, and I have tried everything you mentioned, besides the baking soda and coconut oil. I did the baby shampoo scrub, sterilid eyelid cleaner as well as the eye drops. Nothing has got rid of it yet. Sometimes it seems to be settling down a bit and then the next thing I know it's back. I look like a raccoon!!

I am also wondering if it could be Blepharitis which has some of the same symptoms. I have an appointment with my eye doctor on Tuesday. Hopefully he will be able to tell me what the heck it is and what's causing it. In the meantime I think I will try the baking soda and water scrub. Where did you hear of the coconut oil remedy? I don't have a Trader Joes in my area, but I'm assuming any good health store would have the refined coconut oil.

You sound exactly like me, continually search the internet for answers to health problems. There is a wealth of information as long as you search on a reputable site. Thanks for the great post. You never know who it might help, like me for instance.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 11-18-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
(female)

Brooke12 HB User

Hi Sharon,

I am so sorry you are going through this. You know, when I had this before, for 3 months, I could not believe that so many people were going through the same thing, chronically, and there seemed to be nothing anybody could do about it! You are right, there really is a wealth of information on the internet, and I found that word of mouth and home remedies was my only hope.

I left a lot out of my post about how many different things I tried. Every week trying something else. Only thing I never tried was hydrocortizone, because I was fearful of thinning the skin. However, one of the derms I saw wanted me to use it. But I had read online where people used it and it didn't help.

Sometimes we really have to take our health into our own hands, unfortunately.

Well, regarding the coconut oil (which you actually want "un-refined" and not refined), I read it at one of the sites where people were discussing Blepharitis. Well, after finding out about it, I started "searching" coconut oil and read so much on it, and weeded out the hype and finally decided it was worth it.

I have since discovered that it really is a great moisturizer with antibacterial and anti fungal properties. It actually soaks into the skin better than other oils do. I can even wear it on my face without breaking out, and, amazingly it does not make my skin shiny or oily through the day like other moisturizers! I put it on, wipe it off and the rest soaks in.

However, some people have had breakouts on the face, so it is definitely not for everyone as a daily moisturizer (plus, of course, no sunblock). So, over the last couple years I have read up on it quite a bit as a food source also. Definitely lots of "hype" but some good information too.

I don't use it regularly though, on my body, but it really is supposed to be antibacterial as well as antifungal...so I think that's what is curing this thing!

What really put me off, on blepharitis, was reading how it can come on from not washing the eyes properly. Well, I have always washed my face twice a day and all makeup off at night. Always! So I was determined to believe it was an allergy. That makes no sense though if it doesn't go away when you remove the sources, and also, that I can go back to everything later and it doesn't come back!

It sure is frustrating. Please do post here what your doctor says. I didn't go this time, because I have just read so much that the doctors don't know what to do. If your doctor has you go on cortizone, I would read up on it before you do. From what I hear it thins skin and it doesn't thicken back up. That seems weird that the skin would not "repair" itself later, but I don't want to take the chance!

Do try to coconut oil, and try it for at least a week, although you may see improvement right away. If you get it in your eyes, it will make them blurry, but it is not a worry from what I have read. So, annoying but not a worry. I wanted to really make sure it got into the eyelash line, so it did end up in my eyes some.

Today is the first day I have worn makeup again, and so far so good. No trace of any rough skin coming on. I probably should have given it one more week, and may end up removing it later and going back to the oil for a few more days.

What would we do without the internet? I can't imagine having this and having to rely on only our own doctors. Who would think something like this could really be this complicated for doctors to fix?!!

Good luck and please post back. From what I have read, this can be "chronic" and we can get it again and again, so any and all advice sure helps!

ps. yes, you can get the coconut oil at any health food store. It is becoming more mainstream and even some regular groceries carry it. It needs to be un-refined, but it doesn't matter if it is organic or not. Spectrum is the brand I use.

Brooke

Last edited by Brooke12; 11-18-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: removing redundant information I put in

Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hi Brooke

I'm going to look for some un-refined coconut oil this weekend. I am also trying the baking soda remedy. I read about the coconut oil and it sounds like it helps. Who would ever think of coconut oil. It sure woudn't be a doctor that would suggest it. Like you said and I totally agree, we have to take our health issues into our own hands.

No one cares more for us than US!! I'm one to try anything before resorting to a drug that usually just creates another problem, sometimes worse than the one you are trying to treat. Who say vitamins, or any holistic form of treatment won't work? It's not talked about about much because it doesn't bring in as much money$$$.

I am happy to hear that you may be getting a handle on your problem. Had anyone actually told you what you have? I will post again on Tuesday after I see my Doctor. ( Right now it "seems" to have settled down a bit, but I know it's still lurking.) Enjoy your weekend.

Sharon

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
(female)

Brooke12 HB User

Hi Sharon,

I hope the coconut oil helps! So true, I would much rather use something natural than something prescribed, and especially in a case such as this, where the doctors don't even know for sure what it is!

One of the dermatologists I went to was convinced that my problem was allergy. I know now that it is not. Can't be, or I would have continuous flare-ups.

Since this last episode, I am still doing fine, and not having any problems. I even started back using retinoid under my eyes (last time I stopped for 6 months out of fear). I'm continuing with the coconut oil in the morning, under my makeup. I am watching very carefully, as there have been times over the years that I will get a tiny scaly area just on the outside corners of the eyes. It goes away and I never do anything about it. But now I'm thinking it is related and am going to take note when it happens again.

We really do have to take our own health into our own hands, because no one else is going to! I have no problem taking medications for things that are known and proven and can't be helped naturally, but otherwise no way.

I did also take antibiotics last time I had this, and they did nothing of course.

I am very interested in what your doctor says and look forward to hearing about that and also if the oil and baking soda is helping at all. If nothing else, it helps the itch!

Take care,

Brooke

Last edited by Brooke12; 11-21-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

There is also a condition known as Blepharitis Rosacea. An online medical dictionary defins this condition as: "Inflammation of the margins of the eyelids in association with acne rosacea. Seborrhoeic blepharitis, a common type of chronic inflammation of the margins of the eyelids with erythema and white scales; often with an associated seborrhoeic dermatitis of scalp and face. " Unfortunately I have this condition along with severe dry eyes and eczema/Rosacea on my face, scalp, and body. My eye condition has been greatly controlled with a simple anti-inflammatory steroid eye ointment. Of course you need to continue with the eyelid scrubs and hot compresses but you should see an ophthalmologist for medical treatment.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
(female)

Brooke12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple2067 View Post
There is also a condition known as Blepharitis Rosacea. An online medical dictionary defins this condition as: "Inflammation of the margins of the eyelids in association with acne rosacea. Seborrhoeic blepharitis, a common type of chronic inflammation of the margins of the eyelids with erythema and white scales; often with an associated seborrhoeic dermatitis of scalp and face. " Unfortunately I have this condition along with severe dry eyes and eczema/Rosacea on my face, scalp, and body. My eye condition has been greatly controlled with a simple anti-inflammatory steroid eye ointment. Of course you need to continue with the eyelid scrubs and hot compresses but you should see an ophthalmologist for medical treatment.
Thank you for this information. I had read up on this, but didn't think it applied to me because I don't have rosacea. My mother does have it, and I am told I may in the future, but as of yet there are no signs.

Do you think someone who has no signs of acne or rosacea could have this anyway? Like it is a first sign?

I am sorry you are suffering through this. Did it start on your face and travel, or did it all kind of appear at once? Sorry if these questions are too personal. If so, please do not answer. Still just trying to figure out what it is I have. I do believe it is some kind of bletharitis, but that's all I know.

I am quite fearful of ever using a steroid ointment on my eyes though. I've got such thin skin as it is. Have you noticed a difference in your skin? Has it seemed to thin out?

Old 11-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Hi Brooke

Well, I went to the eye doctor yesterday, and just what I have what I expected. He said it was Bletharitis, mostly in the right eye. I asked him what causes it and he said it could be from the change of weather,or an allergy. He asked if I had changed to a different makeup or eye shadow and I said not really. Anyway I do not have an infection in the eye, only the irritated eyelid.

He gave me a prescription for Pataday which is an allergy drop I put in my eye once a day. It says it is an antihisamine used to prevent itching of the eyes due to allergies. He also gave me a prescription for Neomycin and Polymyxin B and Dexanethasone Ophtalmic Ointment. (Common Uses) An antibiotic and steroid combination used in the eye to treat infections and to relieve the redness, irritation, and discomfort associated with certain eye problems. I put a little of the ointment in the pocket of my eye and also some of the gel on my eyelid at bedtime.

I also told him I was doing the eyelid scrubs and he asked how often and I told him 2 or 3 times a day. He said for me to cut that down to once every other day. (Too much could be causing the dryness) I go back in 2 weeks and if it hasn't cleared up there's some kind of a pill he will prescribe that will get rid of it it these first ones I'm trying don't. I think the drops are working.I have not noticed any itchiness since yesterday. Still some dryness. I have not got to the health store yet to pick up the coconut oil, but I do plan on getting some to try, if nothing else but for a good moisturizer. Hope you are still doing good with you problem. I hope we are both rid getting rid of. I'm tired of looking like a raccoon!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Sharon

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
(male)

tonykoay2002 HB User

Great post, thank for the sharing

Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
(male)

Chihaya HB User

Hi, I thought I'd add my situation to this thread.

I am a young man. I do suspect I have some form of blepharitis. Since the end of October, the interior of my eyelids started to feel incredibly sore. It got really extremely painful, to the point of making even the simple act of reading very painful, because of the successive eyelid movements required to read from left to right. Of course, I never used any kind of make-up, so my eyelids never looked any special, unlike most of yours... sometimes when it gets really cold the pain can either be lessened, or be heightened.

I saw a physician, and an ophtalmologist. Both told me that there was nothing visibly wrong with my eyes or eyelids and that whatever it was, it wasn't dangerous in the least. Whatever, here the health specialists seem to be particularly useless.

This didn't satisfy me at all as I was still prone to a lot of eye pain and doing some very simple tasks proved to be torture. I was worried, since I had a lot of mid-term projects to complete for college, projects involving a lot of reading.

At some point I tried out some Lid-Care, which I think is an equivalent to the Thera Tears eye wash, and the relief was fantastic. I was able to read some more with far less pain. Later on I saw the suggestion to use warm compresses. Once again, this proved to provide great relief.

These two did for a while, but some of the soreness/pressure I felt inside my eyelids never left. It's still extremely annoying at times.

Now I've been using some Systane drops for a few days, but I'm not sure if these are actually helping. Sometimes they seem to do more hurt than good.

In the beginning I also tried to use various sorts of eyedrops, including Opticrom, which is supposed to treat an allergic reaction, but to no avail. Sometimes these just did seem to ultimately cause more hurt than good.

I don't think it's due to an allergy, as I often spend nearly all day outside of my appartment, and it doesn't feel better. I have a cat, but I don't think he's the source of the reactions, as the Opticrom didn't cure anything and I don't think my pain is heightened when I'm near him.

Anyhow suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for this thread though, as I've already got a few good suggestions to start with. I'm going to try this coconut oil and baking soda + warm water compresses thing.

I don't have any peeling problems, not do my eyelids seem swollen, but overall my symptoms look eerily similar to many of yours.

Last edited by Chihaya; 12-06-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
(female)

mssewnsew HB User
Smile Re: Itchy, swollen, peeling eyelids

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but here goes. Any problems from anyone about how I'm doing this please let me know.

Reply to Chilhaya thread:

I'm not a Dr., but I would guess you do not have any blephairtis from what I've read about the condition.

I do see you have a cat, I also have 2 cats. I've known for years that I'm allergic to them, but what can you do when you're a cat lover and a dog lover (6 shelties)!!! Most of the time they are outside or in their kennals in the basement, not right in our living areas. Still some of the dander gets by there.

Somewhere I read that to help keep the dander down and your allergic reactions to a minimum, you can wipe them down with distilled water and a washrag once a day. Even though you might not think you have allergies to your animals, you can overnight get them! How rude of mother nature. If some of your systems are a result of you cat you could give this a try. You stop and think that it might be the cats' dander, or saliva or heaven forbid fleas, or flea dander or a combination of all of the above. Remember if you cat is in you bed and on your pillow to change the cover daily or every other day to minimize the dander you're rolling in and subjecting your eyes to.

Hope some of this is helpful. You could also try a couple of weeks of Benadryl or OTC Claritin just to see if that is helpful unless you have some health problems that the drugs would not work with well.

This all comes from years of Dr's, common sense and years of allergy experience. Good luck

Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
(male)

Chihaya HB User

I'd be surprised if it was due to a cat allergy. I feel nothing whatsoever whenever I am closer to him, and I feel no difference as far as my soreness goes even when I spend nearly all day outside of my apartment. Plus, this eyelid interior soreness is really the only symptom I have. If I had indeed become allergic, wouldn't I have at least a few more symptoms, like sneezing or something to the effect?

At any rate I'll clean my apartment inside out and let the windows open a bit (even if it's the Winter). I'll also have the possibility to check this, as for the holidays I'm going back to my mom's house, and I'll let the cat stay at my granny's house for a while.

I'm also going to try this baking soda and coconut oil thingy. Lid-Care did an ENORMOUS difference, relief like I almost never felt in my life, and so did the warm compresses. If these two are even better substitutes then I want them.

I've just seen that a blepharitis can affect the inner portion of the eyelids that's in contact with the eyes, particularly on the edges, without making the outer portion appear scaly at all.

Last edited by Chihaya; 12-07-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

I've had this for two months now. The Ophthomologist gave me 3 different RX and they only made it worse. I've tried the coconut oil as well (virgin,unrefined) as well as a myriad of other things! Nothing has worked. I do not think this is Belphritis though. I had that long ago and this present condition is different. I'm now thinking it's some kind of infection or condition of the tear duct as the pain and swelling is most severe in that area, but the lids are also swollen and red. I just don't know what else to do at this point. The only thing that is soothing is cold compresses (not hot as was recommended). If anyone finds a cure please post it!

PS: I'm presently taking an antihistamine -Zyrtec - that my pharmacist recommended. It isn't working either

Last edited by jenj770; 12-13-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Reply Reply