It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

confused725 HB User
Do Butterfly rashes come & go in minutes?

Hi,

Can A butterfly rash be a flushing or is it a RASH?
Can it be a facial flush (almost like when BP goes up) not raised & can it come & go in minutes? Im thinking a rash stays a lil & doesnt come for 10 minutes & then goes.

I get facial flushing BUT when I was at the rhemy the other day, I was trying to explain to him how I get this. Sometimes when Im nervous, ect........He said "you have it right now" But said it wasnt the Butterfly rash? It was gone by the time I left his office but it is in the shape of a butterfly ONLY does not usually stay more than 10 minutes.

Please, tell me ANYTHING about your rash on your face.
Do these rashes ONLY show up during a FLARE because mine seems to come & go ALL the time.

Also when im cooking, I ALWAYS get it from being in/out of the oven.........Once I cool off, its gone!

THXXXX

Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: Do Butterfly rashes come & go in minutes?

My face rash is flat and looks like I have too much blush on. It never goes away but does get worse when I'm flaring or just plain tired. My chest also gets flushed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
(female)

kinikki HB User

Hi, I just wrote on another one of your posts. I have the EXACT same thing, I dont have the rash but I get a malar flush. Its worse when I am having a flare up and I will get them daily, especially when Im hot or go outside in the sun. My face gets red, hot and my nose actually gets stuff too. Its so difficult to find any info on them because most articles and info are about just the malar rash but I did find one article somewhere that said malar flushes can also be associated with lupus. Take care.

Nicole

Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
(female)

stone19fl HB User

I get this too...mine can last sometimes hours...but never days...and mine is flat too..and sometimes i get flushed on chest too. it doesnt itch or anything...but sometimes if its bad its really hot where its flushed..like i have afever on the flushed skin...and its a little swollen

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

Rachel, what you are describing is more along the line of just a heightened sympathetic nervous system response. This can happen for a variety of reasons - heat, emotions (stress, excitement, fear), etc. Irish/Scot people have 'high coloring' and can easily show a red flush on their cheeks & neck. People also show flushing/blushing face, neck, upper chest during high emotions and sexual stimulation. These episodes resolve very quickly. I think you were a tad emotional maybe at the doctor's office?

Rosacea also will have facial flushing as a first indicator of it - and it does show without a rash.

For those with lupus and in a flare, everything is heightened......a true malar rash will be present long enough to be present at a doctor's appt. It is frequently misdiagnosed as lupus when it really is another condition altogether.

There are also many drugs and foods that can precipitate a flush too. I appreciate your concern but from what you described, it doesn not sound like lupus, IMHO.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
(female)

johnstonx5 HB User

My rashes come and go. I do have a permanent outline on my cheeks and arms. Sun, heat and alcohol bring it out. (sun brings out a very defined butterfly rash) The longest my rashes have lasted is 24hrs. They are slightly raised if they are at all. They seem to tingle a little. The ones brought on by alcohol BURN so bad. (until recently I never had this before).
It may be caused by a heightened sympathetic nervous system response, but there is something else going on causing my system to go haywire. (lupus)
I started plaquenil 6 days ago and out of curiosity I drank a beer last night to see what would happen. NOTHING happened! No rash.
Now I am just waiting for the rest of the symptoms to subside.
Only your doctor will be able to tell you what is causing your symptoms, but this site is a great place for support and help pointing you in the right direction.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

I have Lupus and noticed whenever I was tired I would have a facial flush over my nose and cheeks and my upper chest, usually at the end of the day. It would go away with rest. My rheumatologist said that it was not due to Lupus.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused725 View Post
Hi,

Can A butterfly rash be a flushing or is it a RASH?
Can it be a facial flush (almost like when BP goes up) not raised & can it come & go in minutes? Im thinking a rash stays a lil & doesnt come for 10 minutes & then goes.

I get facial flushing BUT when I was at the rhemy the other day, I was trying to explain to him how I get this. Sometimes when Im nervous, ect........He said "you have it right now" But said it wasnt the Butterfly rash? It was gone by the time I left his office but it is in the shape of a butterfly ONLY does not usually stay more than 10 minutes.

Please, tell me ANYTHING about your rash on your face.
Do these rashes ONLY show up during a FLARE because mine seems to come & go ALL the time.

Also when im cooking, I ALWAYS get it from being in/out of the oven.........Once I cool off, its gone!

THXXXX
I have a rash on my face that covers my cheeks and across my nose but it never goes away. It used to get very bright red and everyone thought I was blushing all the time. I could feel it from the inside...it was hot and I knew when it was bad. Usually the sun, certain types of lighting, wine, depression and things like that would make it worse but basically the rash has been there for years and hasn't gone away. I have tried Metrogel but it didn't do anything to get rid of it. My Rheumy says it's Rosecea but it's never been tested. I hate it I can tell you that much. I bought a tube of some kind of green concealer and it works pretty well. Then after that you just put your regular make up on top of it. Makes me look sort of normal at that point.
Take care,
Sharon

Closed Thread