It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Freezing!

Why am I always freezing?! To the bone cold!?! All my blood work came back fine, except for vitamin D deficiency. But I don't think a lack of vitamin D could cause this, can it? I am constantly cold. My hands are ice cubes, my nose feels like ice cubes as well. Even my feet feel cold, even when I have shoes on!!! At home, I sit directly in front of my of my space heater. For bed, I wear long sleeves and long pants, and socks. And I'm usually just all layered up! It is so annoying to be like this. Any gust of wind will literally leave me frozen! I am small, but I'm not that skinny!!!!!! I can't plan to go anywhere sporadic if I don't have a sweater. So movies and restaurants always involve sweaters! I don't think I have circulations problems or thyroid issues because all my blood work said I am healthy. But this cold intolerance is really annoying me. And I hate when people say its all mental. Clearly its not!!!!

Why am I always cold?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Freezing!

curly: join the club!!! I'm the same way. My husband is hot and I'm an ice cube. I never used to be as bad as I am now but it's getting worse the more I get into the menopause state. I layer myself just like you do and I even have to wear a hat to bed!!!!
I can't fall asleep if I'm cold. On the other hand, if I get too hot then I feel sick!

Excessive cold sometimes is a symptom of thyroid problems. I know one of the culprits to my coldness is Estrogen Dominance. It's one of about 40 symptoms of it.

Some of it could be due to low blood pressure, anemia and poor circulation, too. I guess that's why woman was made for man so we can get together so the men can warm us up. Try to stay warm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User

Do you ever get discoloration of your fingers and toes with it? If so you could ask your doctor about the possibility of Reynaud's

Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

92261, I am not close to menopause but I can't wait!!! LOLOL. I even get cold when I see young children in tshirts outside!! LOL. And if I plan on buying meats in the frozen section, I MUST have long sleeves on. I have left relatives when they are in the frozen foods section because I'm shivering and really uncomfortable!!!

My T4 and T3 and all of that was normal, no anemia, and no cholesterol or blood pressure or anything to signify poor circulation. I think I'm going to try and find thin gloves for work because typing makes my fingers COLD to the bone.

srivera, my right hand, which is usually my coldest is always slightly redder than my left hand. But I read with Reynauds, fingers get white. And, believe it or not, sneakers make my feet colder because they are not far enough from the ground. So it seems like the cold from the ground just goes through the sneakers and I have freezing feet!!! I have had the property manager at my job warm up my work area (I think they hate me at this point!!!) but its still cold .

This sucks!!! My nose feels like a dog's wet nose!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
(female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User

I'm in Phoenix and freezing LOL! My hands/feet are always cold too. I huddle under a blanket with the heating pad on the couch watching tv. For the computer, I have cut the ends off the fingers of the dollar store gloves. I have low thyroid, but according to recent bloodwork, my medication is at the right level. I often wonder how accurate it really is.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I have a similar problem and here are my thoughts:

One- if you smoke, you often will feel the cold more. Smoking reduces circulation. When I used to smoke, my hands were always sort of a purple color due to lack of circulation.

Two- see if your thyroid tests are borderline. You might be hypo but still falling within the so-called "normal" range.

My final thought is- eat spicy foods if you can tolerate them. I tend to put a dash of both cinnamon and cayenne pepper in my tea when I drink it and it really ups my heat output. If nothing else a cup of cayenne laced tea before bed might make sleeping more comfortable. I only use a dash- maybe 1/8 teaspoon or so?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hi EagleRiverDee

Nope. No smoking for me.

As far my thyroids, I'll recheck my levels but my doctor did not mention that they were abnormal. But that would be the only explanation I guess. What can I do in this situation?

I love spicy foods . I'm not a tea drinker, but I may purchase some cayenne and put it in warm water.

dunerkat, I'm with you about the tests!!! But you are on your own about cutting off the fingers from your gloves!!! My fingers art the coldest part of my body!!! Since I have slight rosacea, I usually place my fingers on my cheek to cool off my cheeks . And other people use my hand when they're feeling warm. Nice to know my cold hands are good for something, ey? LOL.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerkat58 View Post
I have low thyroid, but according to recent bloodwork, my medication is at the right level. I often wonder how accurate it really is.
You would be absolutely astounded at how many MDs don't understand how to interpret thyroid labs or properly dose thyroid medicine. Many thyroid patients stay undermedicated at the hands of ignorant MDs. The same goes for diagnosis. If no less than 4 doctors missed Oprah's hypoT, what does that say about the chances of the rest of us getting a proper diagnosis and treatment?

Curly, you may be hypothyroid despite the "normal" range thyroid tests. If your MD tested your total T4/T3 instead of the more accurate free Ts, you haven't been properly tested. If those free levels are below the median lab range, they aren't "normal" even though technically within range. They're too low for all but a few really rare birds who can tolerate low-normal levels. If you know your results and their lab reference ranges, you can post them on the Thyroid Disorders board for interpretation, if you care to.

Also, was your ferritin tested, or just iron level? You can be anemic with low ferritin even though the iron level looks ok.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

midwest, I will post the lab in the Thyroid section.

Iron was perfect. Everything was good except my vitamin D and carbon dioxide. Both low.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Vitamin D makes a big difference in alot of things for your body. If you are low, you should be taking it to boost your levels.

Also, most doctors normally replace 2/3 of your normal thyroid function with Synthriod. The general philosphy is that less is better. Being over medicated isn't good. I don't know...my mom was over medicated. I wish I would have had some of her energy!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
(female)

dfosnight HB User

I had the same thing and it was diagnosed as a folic Acid deficiency.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfosnight View Post
I had the same thing and it was diagnosed as a folic Acid deficiency.
Really? I thought I was really good with my folic acid. I eat lots of lentil beans (loveee lentil soup) because I read it helped in the prevention of deformalities in babies (March of Dime pamphlet).

I have an appt with my doc next week so I'm going to have explain to me what the heck can be wrong with me!

Closed Thread