It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Keratosis Pilaris? Rosacea? I need help for my 3yo!

For the past year or so probably just over a year my now 3 yo ds has had increasingly bad skin on his cheeks, arms and legs. It's often reddened skin, and always extremely rough and bumpy.
I have asked 2 different doctors about this (a gp and our new ped--where I live in order to see a dermatologist, you have to be referred and I'm not sure our ped would refer us). I've been told to moisturize so I have been, and I really don't see much of a difference. The only thing that's changed is that if I miss a day of applying vaseline (and it HAS to be vaseline--we apply every second day), he'll have a larger "break out". He'll get at least one large pimple type thing, complete with the white tip.
I also noticed that while it used to be mostly on the upper parts of of his cheeks (closer to the hair line/ear), it's now covering almost his entire cheek from the hair line, down to the chin, and on the "apples" of his cheeks, right under his eyes.
I have been doing a ton of research on this, and have come across a few different things, so I'm now really confused as to what it is, and if there's a way for us to better treat it. KP is one, Rosacea is another, and someone also suggested to me that it may be eczema or food allergies. I am at a loss. I feel terrible for him, it's so unsightly and although he doesn't complain of any discomfort, I can't imagine it's very comfortable.
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
(male)

pizzzzza HB User
Re: Keratosis Pilaris? Rosacea? I need help for my 3yo!

Well I'm not a 'youngster' (53), but I can relate to what you're saying.

I had those same type bumps on the back of both my arms - didn't know why or where they came from - just appeared one day.

I did a lot of research, just like you have - came up with pretty much the same results.

I ended up going to a dermatologist - he told me it was Keratosis, and that it wasn't anything that was going to hurt me - but if I wanted to, I could put lotion on it.

He also mentioned oil being trapped by hair follicles that could cause something of this nature.

I would definitely see a dermatologist, so that you can get a more definitive answer - I'm sure it's very stressful for you seeing your child like this.

If anything, this would make you feel better about what's going on.

Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: please don't quote when you are the first to reply

Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
(female)

tableigh HB User

I have been a sufferer of what your son has for 25 years, its keratin pilaris, and will only worsen with age. Fortunately your son will never go through pregnancy (like I did) which will only make matters worse. Its hereditary and just because parents don't have this problem doesn't mean that their children won't. My 7 month old daughter is already showing signs of having it and it breaks my heart. There is NO CURE for this problem and it is completely harmless, however, I can tell you a few things that may make it better but the same things don't work for everyone.
1. Ya know those cheap exfoliating gloves you can buy at walgreens or wal-mart?? Purchase one Children don't like to be scrubbed with it, but its the only thing that will help. You have to get as much of the dead skin and other things blocking the pore off of the skin. Wash with a VERY gentle soap. I use unscented Johnson's and Johnson's baby scrub. It has no dyes or harsh cleansers that cause irritation. You probably already use it for your little one so thats handy.
2. You may have to search for the hydrating cream that I use, but it does exist and works wonders. Its called Udderly Smooth. Its actually a cream used for cow udders (gasp! I know but don't worry). It has the consistancy of whipped cold cream and a pleasant smell. I use it on my daughter for her diaper rashed because desitin is so harsh. Its not all that expensive and worth every single penny! You will have to apply this 3 times a day at first, and once you see the bumps start to disappear, you can cut it back to 2 times, then 1. However, you may not be able to cut down on the use (I can't but I did with my daughter) it all depends on how bad the KP is.
3. Last but not least...Don't give up!! If the udderly smooth cream doesn't work keep trying other stuff. Don't stop exfoliating, just change the lotion and make sure to apply it a couple times daily. You will be able to tell after a week if that product is working or not. I noticed the Udderly Smooth working for me after just the second application on the very first day )
The most helpful things for KP are Lanolin, Allantoin, and Dimethicone. Lanolin being the best. Don't go out and spend tons of money on retin-a creams because they are only a quick fix and once you stop using them, the KP will come back worse. The are terribly expensive (I have used creams ranging from $4-$100) and nothing worked until now.
I really hope this will work for your son. I'm trying really hard to get the word to as many people as I can that this cream really works. Like I said, I have suffered for 25 years and it is terribly embarrassing growing up with bumps all over your arms, face, and legs. If I can help just one other person then my own suffering and hopes to find something that would work to improve my skin weren't in vain.
Good Luck!
-Tabby

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thank you very much for the replies! I will try some of those techniques.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread