It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
(female)

SAMMMI HB User
Question B12 deficiency

In April of this year, my B12 range was 148. I started taking 2000 units of B complex (sublingual) a day and by June I was 280. Better than what it was but a far cry from what it should be.

I saw my PCP endro/internist today to be shown how to give myself B12 shots (I requested to have B12 injections to get my level up). I'm diabetic so I have no issues with injecting myself. The Dr said I wasn't absorbing B12 as I should be therefore, he agreed to my having injections instead of orals.

Here is my question ~ how often should I/could I be giving myself these shots of 1000 units? I was expecting to be able to inject myself daily, but the Dr said every 2-3 weeks. B12 is water soluble so there is no chance of over doing it yet I don't want to waste the B12 by just voiding it away.

Does anyone have some insight or direct knowledge about how much how often in order to reach a level of 800-900?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: B12 deficiency

I am no expert, but I receive 2 injections per week of B-12 from my doctor. I get it to boost my energy lost dealing with several serious illnesses, and many medications that I take daily.

Have you asked your doctor for his/her advice on dosage?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
(female)

SAMMMI HB User

yes, the Dr has given the dosage of 1000 units... a full syringe. You said you are injecting twice a week, but you didn't say what the dose was for each shot.

I too have many health issues and take loads of meds. In April/May of this year, I spent 20 out of 30 days in the hospital. 2 admissions through ER for entirely different reasons. Each admission was considered to be critical. I landed in ICU this last time.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I am not sure of the dosage, but I believe it is a full dose. I will check on that.

I have been in the ER 6 times in the last 4 weeks myself, so I understand...also with different issues.

I started on the B-12 at once a week, but after a rough month medically, they let me come in twice a week.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Sammi,

I had my B-12 shot yesterday and I asked what the dosage was...she said 1 cc.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
(male)

Benice2animals HB User

I use 1 CC every 3 weeks.

I tried pill form...it didn't work at all....I was sooo tired and then tired the injection.....next day I was full of energy

I find if I let it go past 3 weeks.....its so noticable ...like a car that won't start I just can't get moving.

I do it in my bum cheeks lol......and alternate every 3 weeks

Old 07-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I get mine twice a week, in my arms...so apparently our frequency varies a lot depending on our individual needs. I would have your doctor advise you before starting your B-12 injections. I am very very ill.

Last edited by writeleft; 07-03-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
(female)

SAMMMI HB User

Benice ~ this is what my Dr is suggesting... 1000 every weeks.

I just had a shot on Tuesday and feel nothing... nadda. I'm still tired and anemic. I also have been taking the 2000 sublingual (which the Dr says I'm hardly absorbing, but I have several bottles of it so what the heck... it's water soluable so what the body doesn't need/absorb will just be voided)

writeleft ~ I'm sorry you are so ill. Poor health is really a burdensome way to live a life. I've spent the past 3 years in poor health and am plenty tired of it. I'm trying as best I can to bet my body/health/attitude in the best shape that I can.

I'll follow what the Dr told me to do and see what happens from there. I've often read that those who get the shots feel *better* within 6 -24 hours... so far, this has not been the case for me. This is the 2nd injection I've had.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Sammi,
Thanks for the kind words.

I have 5 injections so far.
I have felt better within as little as 15 minutes with three of the injections, and with 2 in which I felt nothing. When I had those two, I was feeling the worst, but all five while in pain and quite ill. My increased energy lasted only about 5 hours. I get them at noon, and I make it through dinner, and then return to bedrest. I still consider Monday and Friday afternoons as my own personal holidays, from noon till 5. I honestly look forward to it. something to look forward to!

It is apparently like most other things, each of us responding differently to the same thing. I had never really known anything about B-12 injections until the first day my doctor asked me if I wanted one 3 weeks ago. For me, they open up a little break in the daily grind of major illness.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
(female)

SAMMMI HB User

Have you had your B12 levels taken since you started the injections? Do you know if you are anywhere near a level of 800-900?.. which is what I understand to be *the healthy* level.

I wonder why so little time of relief/increased energy when taking 1000 units? Surely a body can't use it all up in such a short period of time.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Absolutely not.. my levels are depleted due to my major organ damage. I do not know the numbers, but I imagine my level is far from "healthy". I would not use me as a comparison, just as one example. My feeling is that my energy level diminishing so quickly is because I am in intense pain, and am being treated with narcotic pain medication every 4-6 hours, making long lasting energy impossible.

That's why I would encourage you to have your doctor set up your supplement dosage and frequency before starting. I imagine there is a wide range of recommended treatment possibilities.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #12
(female)

SAMMMI HB User

Quote:
That's why I would encourage you to have your doctor set up your supplement dosage and frequency before starting. I imagine there is a wide range of recommended treatment possibilities.
Well, the Dr more or less DID set up the frequency/dosage when I was given my 1st shot... 1000 every 3 weeks. It was 3 weeks later that I was shown/taught how to give my own B12 shot... 1000 every 3 weeks.

There isn't a wide range of possibilities for me since it's already been shown that I'm not absorbing B12 from oral/sublingual. The shot directly into the system is what is supposed to work.

I hope today is a less painful one for you.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Thank you SAMMI for your kind words, very thoughtful of you...no change yet.

I hope you the injections give you the boost you need. The only problem I have with mine is the big bruises I get from them. Where is your injection site? I'm getting mine in the upper arm.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
(female)

SAMMMI HB User

I'm using my upper arm as well and I've had no bruising. Maybe I have more flesh than you do?

Maybe too much pressure is being used for your shots? < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-11-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Good point...I realize now that I bruise badly on all the other procedures, the IV's are really bad too. Dumb question.Thanks for answering though.

Back to your original question...I remember you were thinking about the benefit of taking B-12 injections more often that every three weeks, or would that be wasteful since it is water soluble... After all, this thread is about your question, did you find the answer?

Closed Thread