It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

RFF HB User
What do you think?

Ok here goes. I am a 40y old female. About 10 years ago I developed joint pain in my hips. It was to the point where upon first standing/weight bearing it was horrible. After a few steps it was painful, but much better. At this same time I started having muscle aches and LOW grade temp, 99.6-99.8. This would happen every month or two for a day or so. Also I had a constantly swollen lymph node in my neck. Now the pain in my hips is MUCH better, there are many days that there is actually no pain. I have though developed pain in my left knee, Right elbow, right shoulder, and low back. Nothing excruitiating, but definitely there. There are days with this that my joints feel fine though. The body aches, low grade temp has increased to where I can have them almost 24/7 for about a week before it goes away. Again, once every month or so. My lymph nodes in neck are still swollen alot, especially after being sick, but do go away almost completely a few months after an illness. I also seem to get frequent cold sores and fever blisters. Two months ago my bloodwork showed a positive ANA, although at the lowest threshold, a positive CRP, elevated neutriphils, low lymphocytes, and low vitamin D. My Dr. referred me to a rheumatologist. I got the bloodwork back from her, but I don't have an appointment until mid September. Now my ANA is negative as well as everything else. (CCP antibodies IgG/IgA, HLA-B27, RNP antibodies, Smith antibodies, Sjogren' anti-SS-S and anti-SS-B, VDRL, and Anti-DNA). Normal blood values too. I have Rosacea so don't know if that would mask a malar rash. The only sun sensitivity I have is I will break out in fever blisters if I am out for too long. No other rashes, etc. I have recently had trouble staying asleep and concentrating, I forget alot now too. This is probably due to stress though due to other life factors. What do you guys think? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: What do you think?

What was your calcium level? I had horrible hip pain and joint pain, fatigue, heart palpitations, trouble staying asleep, the list goes on and on! FOR THREE YEARS! My calcium was in the 10's and a few times higher and the doctor said I could not have hyperparathyroidism because I had a normal PTH level. They told me my calcium was not high enough to worry about! I just had two parathyroid adenomas removed and feel GREAT! It's a long shot but be sure your calcium level is in the 9's.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear RFF, hi and welcome. I'm only a patient, so please read in that light! I believe blood results typically vacillate as flares come & go, which makes the diagnostic process a real hit & miss proposition. (That's one huge reason autoimmunes are so tricky for patients and doctors.)

And are you 100% sure your facial rash is rosacea? I ask because I've read that rosocea is impossible to distinguish visually from a malar rash; a skin biopsy might be the only surefire way to tell (you could ask). However, facial biopsy would scar... Has a dermatologist examined your rash?

Also, you could ask if rosacea improves or worsens when exposed to sun. (I don't know, sorry.) Sun can definitely cause or worsen a malar rash...

I'm glad you have a rheumie appt in September. Like you, I had MANY years of episodic problems, then I felt like I was falling off the cliff (scary). If you haven't read the "sticky posts" yet (permanent info posts at top of thread list), I hope you do. I'd browsed several standard hardcovers before seeing my 2nd (and final) rheumie, and what I read strengthened my resolve.

I hope you post more when you can. Meanwhile, warmest wishes, Vee

Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
(female)

RFF HB User

Thanks so much for your replies. Hopolong, my calcium is 9.7 with the normal range for this lab 8.7-10.2. I guess that is good? VEEJ, I have never had a biopsy for my rosacea. My grandmother has it and when I started getting a red face about 6 years ago the dermatologist said I had rosacea becuase of family history and red face. They just keep prescribing a gel, finacea, for my face which is supposed to help. I guess I should ask my rheumie about that. Thanks. Another question. Do x-rays of joints show signs of arthritis with lupus or can they come out pretty normal? Thanks again.

Last edited by RFF; 08-03-2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Forgot question.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
(female)

RFF HB User

Sorry. Another questions. Is there weight loss with lupus, and if so is it due to loss of appetite or do you loose while still having an appetite and eating normally?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

RFF, I think joint X-rays in RA show erosion that resembles mouse bites (as one expert phrases it). In lupus, I think this is seen hardly ever. I think weight loss is common in lupus, except for patients taking steroids.

I hope rheumie has time during your appt. to respond to all your (very good) questions. Bye for now, Vee

Closed Thread