It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
(female)

Monteaser HB User
Swollen face and widespread rash over face and neck

Hey. My face and neck is currently very swollen (can barely open eyes wide or mouth) and there is a widespread rash which looks like a series of dry, red dots, although this is the 3rd day of this attack.
It usually begins with tightness and general redness, with blotchy dry areas around my jaw line. Then on the 2nd day it swells up. On the 3rd day a wide rash (the dots/bumps) develops.
However, this is not a set pattern, as this is the first time I have seen the dots, and usually it doesn't swell up badly.

I took an allergic to penicillin towards the end of July and my face was much in the same way it is now, but it didn't develop then; my face just 'blew up'.

These symptoms seem to come in random attacks, and I can't find any pattern whatsoever. I took similar attacks throughout the summer, and I wasn't wearing any makeup during that period and I switched to E45 for mousturising in case my mousturiser (Nivea) was the cause.

I went to the doctor and she thought it could be a symptom of coeliac disease because I am suspected of having it, due to anaemia.
Another doctor didn't know what it was and just gave me various steroid creams, but i only used them once or twice as they were having little effect and I don't like using them.
Before, around Easter, my face went chronically dry and it looked similar to the first symptoms during these attacks before the face swells up (blotchy, dry rash), and the doctor at that time thought it was rosacea and gave me creams for that, but they didn't work after one or two uses.
Every treatment I've received has worked at the start but has no long-term impact. I've also tried ice to reduce the swelling, with no luck, and I've also tried steaming my face in an attempt to relieve the drynesss, but that hasn't really worked either.

I've also had severe eczema since I was born, but that cleared up more or less when I was 7 and i rarely suffer from it anymore. Also, although the eczema began on my face when i was one or two days old, it has never been on my face since. Plus this on my face isn't as itchy.

I was using the penicillin for tonsilitis, and only took 3 doses of it before stopping. Shortly after when the tonsilitis went I took shingles. So maybe it could be related to them?

I can't go on a gluten-free trial diet yet because i haven't had a biopsy yet, so I don't know if it is coeliac disease.

Also, it isn't really that painful, more uncomfortable. But when I try to wash my face it feels similar to rubbing TCP on an open wound (very raw).
I wouldn't say it was very itchy either, although I do appear to be scratching it in my sleep.

If anyone can link anything together it would be much appreciated! It really is incredibly depressing...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread