It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2002, 07:32 AM   #1

Becka821 HB User
Could this be something besides acne...maybe rosacea?

Okay, here is the deal. I DO have pimples on my forhead and chin. They are usually always small and round and have a white head. I also have blackheads on my nose. This stuff I could live with. However, I get these bumps on my cheeks. They never have a head or anything, they are just under the skin, red bumps. They don't respond like the other stuff on my forehead and chin does to the bpo that I put on them. Also, my face flushes a lot- it turns bright red at certain times durind the day, and feels really hot. Is this stuff on my cheeks acne, or could it be something else, and all this time I have been treating it like acne. What do you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2002, 08:02 AM   #2

KC Lee HB User
Re: Could this be something besides acne...maybe rosacea?

Becka, how old are you?? Can you see patches of red almost like tiny lines or veins on your cheeks? If you think you have Rosacea, see a derm. I just went on tuesday and I have mild rosacea. My derm gave me Minocycline and MetroLotion. Don't let it get any worse if you think it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2002, 08:09 AM   #3

RAG HB User

Hey, I kinda think I may have rosacea, maybe mild, but my face is red/flushed quite often, etc. On one of my many searches for info., I came upon a site that was very helpful. The product looked promising too but I had just started using something else and wanted to give that a chance. Anyway, do a search for Rosacea LTD and see if any of their info. helps you in diagnosing your skin.

Old 07-24-2002, 12:45 PM   #4

TSB HB User

Rosacea normally affects people in the adult years.

You can have papules and pustules that resemble acne.
Hence, the misnomer "acne rosacea."

But from what I have read is that rosacea is a result of your blood vessels and capillaries in your face contracting slowly/or not at all to their normal size after expanding from a blood rush. This results in a extended blush or permanent blush.

It can progress to the pimple stage. And if untreated can disfigure your nose.

I may have it, my pcp seems to think so. But I also use Retin-A and Oxy pads for sensitive skin. This makes me red. My doc told me to lay off the retin-A and oxy pads to see if the redness will subside.

My suggestion to you is to stop any topical treatments you may be using if you notice you get red after putting it on. Also keep a journal or make a mental note on when your face gets red and how long it takes for it to go away.

Old 07-24-2002, 01:40 PM   #5

Emmaaa HB User

I have also been wondering if I have rosacea. My derm says it's not. BUt after I got acne from a bad experience with glycolic acid I got lots of red marks. The acne is now gone after a cure with antibiotica. I've read that it's normal to get red marks. But mine have almost faded. BUT, they get visible whenever I my face blush! I hate it....I can not see any blood vessels, just if I look really really close. My derm said it could be enlarged blood vessels, and that they would eventuallly subside....And isn't rosacea mainly on your cheeks? and gives you a diffuse overall redness? My redness/red marks are on my jawline.

The glycolic acid really "ruined" my face, and it's gotten much more sensitive than it was before.
When I get warm/nervous and blush, I feel a burning sensation. And all my red marks are suddenly re appeareing- it's so strange??
I've been thinking of photoderm, but I'm letting my skin heal more I think......Has anyone tried this treatment?

Old 07-24-2002, 04:12 PM   #6

Becka821 HB User

I am only 19, so I guess that doesn't fit the rosacea profile. I am thinking maybe it is more of an allergic reaction, but I don't know to what. I do wish I could get rid of this facial redness though. It doesn't matter what I use, my cheeks are always red!

Old 07-25-2002, 11:31 AM   #7

TSB HB User

Listen, ever since I was a teenager I was a blusher. I would turn bright red on oral report day. But I would say that 90% of the time I was lightly tan and never red.

I have seen many young people that have "rosey" cheeks. This may be nothing, it may be because of your ethnic background, or it could be a sign that you are a potential candidate for acne rosacea in your later years. It is hard to tell, but if you are concerned about it I would talk with your doctor. I would also look into family history to see if any of your relatives had red faces/blushing problems.

Old 07-25-2002, 04:58 PM   #8

black_eyes HB User

Im a 21 yr old asian female, and i developed mild rosacea from b5 - it dried out my skin too much. flaxseed did wonders for it and i seem to have it under control

Closed Thread