It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
(female)

downtownoffice1 HB User
Help With Ocular Rosacea

After battling Ocular Rosacea for 8 years, I finally stumbled upon some answers that work for me! Over the years I have tried everything imaginable including Restasis. My Opthamalmologist finally suggested I try Refresh Optive sensitive eye drops in single use vials. Single use vials contain no preservatives. I had my doubts but they actually work! For bad allergy days, he gave me a PX for Pataday by Alcon. Finally, RELIEF!!! For people with Ocular Rosacea, turn off fans blowing onto your face at night as it really dries out your eyes. Avoid all those over the counter products that are astringents. Your eyes might look good for a day or so, but stop using them and you'll probably have very sore and red eyes for the net few days. It may not work for everyone but it finally got me some much needed relief!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to downtownoffice1 For This Useful Post:
daylightforever (04-09-2011), linda1958 (04-06-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
(female)

linweid HB User
Re: Help With Ocular Rosacea

Hi
Wow 8 years is a long time to battle Occular Rosacea. My eye doctor recommended Refresh Optive eye drops and it helped me to some degree. I accidently bought the "sensitive" Refresh optive and it did not help me, I'm not sure why.
I am now on prescription Restasis for about a year and my eyes are finally improving. On a bad day I still use Refresh optive along with the Restasis.
How did you get diagnosed? Nobody told me for sure, but my Doctor told me she thinks it is Occular Rosacea. The opthamologist is treating me for dry eye.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

downtownoffice1 HB User

Hi Linda!
I think they diagnosed me with Ocular Rosacia just because they couldn't blame it on anything else. I know I have the redness from rosacia in my face, but all they've ever really seen are dry spots on my eyes. Oh well. Out here in far West Texas we haven't had any rain since last September and the dryness is really tough on the eyes. The small individual Refresh vials are the only thing that has made a difference. I tried Restasis but saw no difference. How long was it until you noticed a change after using Restasis?
Sue

Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
(female)

aliverdi HB User

I wonder if any of you suffering "ocular rosacea" or even just "rosacea", have ever had blood tests for thyroid disease? I suffered redness of the cheeks and nose, swollen nose, pustules around that area, and red, dry, gritty and inflamed eyes for many years (along with gynaecological problems, dry skin and hair etc) before finally realising that the problem was my thyroid - my doctor kept saying my thyroid was fine as I wasn't overweight, and my tests were within the range though one was a little too low (FT4) and the other (TSH) a little too high, but in the end had to admit I was right, thanks to my ophthalmologist who finally listened to me and agreed that it could be my thyroid and sent me to have the tests.
I am now on thyroid hormone (and adrenal support because by then I also had bad adrenal fatigue), and my eyes and skin are finally clear! Rosacea really is a symptom and not a disease and I wish doctors would finally realise this and treat patients accordingly, by looking for the underlying cause - probably hormone imbalance and vitamin/mineral deficiencies (all my hormones were severely out of balance and I was really low in some things, like iron and vitamin B12, with high cholesterol, by the time I started treatment).
I heartily recommend having a hormone panel done - it may save you years of more misery and useless medicines for your skin and eyes. I was given metronidazole, both orally and topically, for years without it helping - on the contrary, it ruined my skin, and I'm sure, my liver too! Nothing will work unless you get to the bottom of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linweid View Post
Hi
Wow 8 years is a long me to battle Occular Rosacea. My eye doctor recommended Refresh Optive eye drops and it helped me to some degree. I accidently bought the "sensitive" Refresh optive and it did not help me, I'm not sure why.
I am now on prescription Restasis for about a year and my eyes are finally improving. On a bad day I still use Refresh optive along with the Restasis.
How did you get diagnosed? Nobody told me for sure, but my Doctor told me she thinks it is Occular Rosacea. The opthamologist is treating me for dry eye.
Linda

Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Dry spots on the eyes is usually caused from dry eye syndrome.

Restasis and Systane Ultra (vials..no preservatives) works well for me. You can use Systane Ultra several times a day if needed.

My eye doctor told me if I wait until eyes bother me it is too late, need to put eye drops in long before then in order to keep moisture in the eyes.

Also keep a cool mist vaporizer going in rooms to keep humidity up. House heat will dry out the eyes.

Reply Reply