HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Rosacea (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/rosacea/)
-   -   Facial flushing (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/rosacea/849370-facial-flushing.html)

blairbear89 05-12-2011 05:07 PM

Facial flushing

I am 22 years old (female) and for my whole life I have had a rosey complextion. I always loved my pink cheeks until about 2 years ago when they turned from cute to horrible. I started to get really red and burning lines and splotches on my face and neck. It started as only about once a week, mostly at night when I was sleepy, when i was hot, or stressed and now are everyday. I was always out-going and the life of the party. Now I try to avoid going out as much as possible. I am turning into a person I don't feel like I was meant to be.
I am using metro gel, propranolol, and the anti biotic minocycline. I have been on the propranolol and minocycline for about a week and the metro gel for about 6 months. I dont know if there is something better out there that I could be using. If you have any advice I would love to hear from you. Sometimes when I get a bad rash I just break down and cry, I can't control it and it makes me so mad that something can reign over my life like this. I just want to find something that will help.

Fitness Seeker 05-19-2011 09:30 PM

Re: Facial flushing

Hey go see a dermatologist. I have the same thing. I never knew, growing up I had a problem and it had a name until a couple of yrs ago. Do you have very sensitive and thin skin? My facial skin is very delicate. Try to use sunscreen too to protect it.

I went to a dermatologist a couple of yrs ago. they could prescribe a cream for you. I used to put on foundation in order to neutralize the redness i get on my cheeks. I look like a lobster. It's a good thing I live in very mild weather. When i do travel to places where it's warm (or hot and humid) it's really bothersome and I look horrible.

blairbear89 06-02-2011 07:59 PM

Yes I have been to a doctor. I am on a mix of blood pressure meds and anti biotics. None of which seem to be working. I also use metro gel.

alpinemeadow 06-16-2011 08:30 PM

hi blairbear,

you are seeing two posts from me because I thought I had lost my reply to you as I was typing it, but actually, I posted it before I was ready, therefore,I deleted this one. sorry for the cofusion

alpinemeadow 06-16-2011 08:49 PM

hi blairbear,

sorry to hear you are having trouble with rosacea. rosacea can be very frustrating to deal with because it seems like everything under the sun can cause problems with it.

I too had the pleasant rosey cheeks and was very happy about it because I am very pale skinned and the rosiness was the only color I had. Now my rosey cheeks are a real problem. I thought the condition I was developinng was adult acne but when I went to derm, they gave me a diagnosis and started me on treatment. So far I have only had the topical creams to apply. They gave me metrogel and finacea and told me to put one on half of my face and the other on the other half. I thought that was great advice because then I could really compare. The finacea clearly worked better for my skin.

next came a long list of triggers. I was surprised at how nearly anything can cause a flare up. You were probably given a similar list. The biggest trigger for me is humidity. Where I work we have to wear masks and moist exhaled air gets trapped near my skin for sometimes a cummulative 6 or more hours a day. I can just see the papules popping up out of nowhere. Stress is clearly another biggie for me. From your post I can see this is one for you too.

The other huge one for me is hairspray. Hairspray contains alcohol which is just totally awful for rosacea. You think you are only spraying it on your hair. But it goes all over your face. I easily combatted this problem with a sheet protector. Then not only do I not get it on my face, but I can see what I'm doing which is a real bonus. I am always amazed at the thick coat of hairspray that is on that sheep protector when I am done.

I would say just keep working with what your personal triggers are, and how much of a trigger you can tolerate before your skin becomes unhappy. For me, i know i can only have 2 or 3 citrus fruits a week... be careful of fragrances, too, like what you wash your clothes, sheets, pillowcases with.

I do wish you the best and kmow you will find a course of treatment that works well for you.