It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

MarJol HB UserMarJol HB User
Diagnosed Today, Have Questions, Please Help

I just went to the dermatologist today and found out that I have Rosacea. I've had it for about 8 years now (i'm 28) and suspected such but wanted confirmation. First off, the doctor wasn't friendly and I felt I was wasting his time or something. He rushed me through so I have unanswered questions still.. I was wondering if I could get some info from anyone who has Rosacea. I asked him about cleansers and he said to use whatever..that it didn't matter because it was never going away. Geez...
I've been using Dove Sensitive Skin Soap and aveeno positively radiant daily moisturizer with SPF 30. Is there anything else that anyone might suggest that works for them? I really want an SPF lotion for daytime but it seems to flare my rosacea and makes it worse. I've also tried Neutrogena Clear Face and it burns my face.

Also, he suggested I try Finacea but I got to Walgreens and found out it would be over $200 after insurance (and the $10 coupon he gave me). I just cannot afford that so I didn't take the prescription. Is there anything else that might work? I read about Prosacea and it is over the counter. It seems to have pretty good results and I thought about trying it. Anyone heard good or bad about this or even tried it?

He did mention to try Afrin Nasal Spray and put it on my face. I thought he was nuts and talked to the pharmacist who said that it makes sense because it helps shrink the blood vessels. I tried it tonight but can't say for sure if it is helping yet.

Finally, what makeup do you find works good for coverage? My rosacea is on my cheeks and I've been using Revlon Colorstay foundation and pressed powder. It has great coverage but it very hard to remove at night. Any suggestions on what other makeup to try would be really helpful.

THANK YOU :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Diagnosed Today, Have Questions, Please Help

Sorry your experience with the dermatologist was not that great!!

Rosacea can wax and wane over time, can go away and stay gone or stay with you for rest of your life. It is something we need to "accept" and go on with life.

For the past 40+ years I have had Rosacea, sometimes just redness and other times bumps break out.

The acne medication "Sulfacet" works well for early stages of rosacea. In fact the medication I use for advanced rosacea contains "sulfacetamide" and "sulfur".

Some of the meds (all prescriptions) used for rosacea are: Noritate, Metrogel,, Klaron, Finacea, Celina. I was prescribed meds in order given above.

I use Prascion Cleanser (prescription) which is is a combination of sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5% with a little grit that helps exfoliate.

The reddish cheeks are caused by inflammation of the blood vessels. Avoid alcohol, hot drinks, or other things that will cause dialation of blood vessels. Avoid cortisone on face, it will thin the skin over time.

I found the following to work well for me. After washing face, I put a thin coat ((one drop on wet hands) of CarVe moisturing lotion (over counter) on and then a small amount (match head amount of Celina) spread on entire face, let air dry.

I use no foundation type makeup, it causes my face to break out. I use Lanacone pressed powder that does not turn color on face and hides some of the redness. Definitely do not use anything to add color to cheeks, cheeks turn red soon enough on their own.

Go without makeup as often as possible to allow the skin to breathe.

Check with another pharmacy because the Finacea should not cost that much above your copay. Much will depend on kind of insurance you have, regardless of insurance $200 sounds too high.
My current dermatologist gave me a prescription for Celina, a facial scrub , and to use Cera-ve

Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
(male)

berlintiger HB User
Re: Diagnosed Today, Have Questions, Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
Sorry your experience with the dermatologist was not that great!!

Rosacea can wax and wane over time, can go away and stay gone or stay with you for rest of your life. It is something we need to "accept" and go on with life.

For the past 40+ years I have had Rosacea, sometimes just redness and other times bumps break out.

The acne medication "Sulfacet" works well for early stages of rosacea. In fact the medication I use for advanced rosacea contains "sulfacetamide" and "sulfur".

Some of the meds (all prescriptions) used for rosacea are: Noritate, Metrogel,, Klaron, Finacea, Celina. I was prescribed meds in order given above.

I use Prascion Cleanser (prescription) which is is a combination of sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5% with a little grit that helps exfoliate.

The reddish cheeks are caused by inflammation of the blood vessels. Avoid alcohol, hot drinks, or other things that will cause dialation of blood vessels. Avoid cortisone on face, it will thin the skin over time.

I found the following to work well for me. After washing face, I put a thin coat ((one drop on wet hands) of CarVe moisturing lotion (over counter) on and then a small amount (match head amount of Celina) spread on entire face, let air dry.

I use no foundation type makeup, it causes my face to break out. I use Lanacone pressed powder that does not turn color on face and hides some of the redness. Definitely do not use anything to add color to cheeks, cheeks turn red soon enough on their own.

Go without makeup as often as possible to allow the skin to breathe.

Check with another pharmacy because the Finacea should not cost that much above your copay. Much will depend on kind of insurance you have, regardless of insurance $200 sounds too high.
My current dermatologist gave me a prescription for Celina, a facial scrub , and to use Cera-ve
Hi Misty
I have not had this condition myself but personally know two people who have managed the condition with a product named Renew Intensive Skin Therapy. I use the cream as a general moisturising agent and also to prevent and treat skin infections. Contact me if you would like some further details. Thank You.

Reply Reply

Tags
rosacea