It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2002, 12:12 PM   #1
(male)

Uncle Mike HB User
Question Rosacea, How To Tell FOR SURE??

I posted a topic about this a while back and got a few replies, but im just curious. I work outside and my skin on my face only around my eyes and partially on my cheeks have been red now for quite sometime and continues to make oil. Ofcourse the more oil it makes, the more i wash, which i think is leading to drier and drier skin. After months of dealing with this i go to a dermatologist who looks at me and tells me i have Rosacea. I think hes wrong and so does everyone else who looks at me. I think its just from working outside i nthe sun, hot, cold, and wind. I think my skin is just weatherbeaten and very dried out. Now since my skin makes oil and i work outside in the sun, maybe im getting sunburn from the sun since my skin is oily? Its like putting baby oil on and going out in the sun and frying, no? Now im just wondering, what are sure signs i have Rosacea? It does seem to get redder on days where the sun is real bright, but again maybe thats cause its dry? It doesnt get redder with anything else i do, such as eating spicy foods or drinking alcohol which are things they say can make Rosacea flare up. Another thing, my nose seems very dry too, like if i wash my face and dry off, it seems the pores on my nose are dried out and i see flakes hanging off my nose, flakes that i can pick off, but its red around where the flaking is. Oh another thing, sometimes it seems to itch a little where its red. Does Rosacea itch ever? I didnt think Rosacea itched, but maybe im wrong. It seems to itch on days when its cold out and the wind is blowing, which leads me to believe its dry. I dont know what else to do, but would love to get past this obstacle in my life which has been going on for months now. Please help if you can. Oh last thing, if i had Rosacea wouldnt both sides of my face be red equally? One side of my face is just a small area of red and the other side is much bigger, even people who see me ask me how i got sunburn on only one side of my face. And thats another funny thing, everyone who sees me asks me how i got or where did i go away to get so much sun. No one yet has said to me i have Rosacea, they see me, and instantly ask whgere i went away too. This is another reason ithink its not Rosacea. I have seen people with Rosacea and this isnt what it looks like. Mike

[This message has been edited by Uncle Mike (edited 11-09-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
Smile

Do you use a moisturizer? The more you dry out your face the more oil it will produce. And use sunscreen http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 11-10-2002, 07:29 AM   #3
(male)

Uncle Mike HB User
Well no i dont use a moisturizer only because it seems everything i try only irritates it, unless im using too much, or not the right kind. What do you or anyone else here reccomend? It has to be specifically for your face right, cant just be a regular body lotion? Im so clueless when it comes to taking care of my skin which is why i have this problem. Mike

Old 11-11-2002, 10:42 AM   #4

Fantaseee HB User
Im not sure if this will be removed, but its a non commercial site. check out: [url="http://rosacea.ii.net/"]http://rosacea.ii.net/[/url]

Old 11-19-2002, 06:25 PM   #5

Dulane HB User
Try Eucerin Daily Sun Defense SPF 15. And wear a hat if you can. You may find that you need the lotion some times of the year and other times you don't. Body lotions are for other places, good face products cost a bit more but if your skin is sensitive, it's worth it. Make sure you are getting plenty of water. Your skin will thank you.

Old 11-19-2002, 06:47 PM   #6

Dulane HB User
I suddenly realized that the area you referred to is also an area that might be affected by Seborrheic Dermatitis. Not the end of the world or anything, but you might try topical remedies that work for seborrhea. Most things that help eczema also help.
If it is, it can come and go, and will probably be happiest if you don't stress the skin by scrubbing or letting it dry out. You can try washing your face with a MILD soap at night and breaking open a vitamin E capsule and gently appling the oil to the aggravated areas. It will not hurt!
If you see marked improvement by morning, you will probably want to start looking for a good herbal remedy. I like emu oil, and I usually apply it every morning after washing. A little goes a long way.

Closed Thread