It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2002, 05:58 AM   #1

mmaarrkk3031 HB User
Post Rosacea on nose

Hi,
I'm a 36 year old guy and suffer from the embarassing problem of a red nose! It's worse in cold weather and is positively purple when going from a cold room to a hot one. Alcohol makes it worse. I've tried topical creams ie metrodiazanol etc and been on oxytets for a long while and nothing works. Does any one know of any product that definitely works?

I tend to use a cover stick when going out. I use sun beds occasionally which helps and have a healthy lifestyle (gym etc).

Thanks a lot,

Mark.

Old 12-14-2002, 08:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
People with rosacea usually have certain triggers. Those can be sun exposure, emotional stress, hot or cold weather, wind, alcohol, spicy foods, strenuous exercise, hot baths, heated beverages and certain skin-care products.

Rosacea cannot be cured, effective medical therapy and avoidance of trigger factors can halt its progression and minimize or reverse its effects. Dermatologists usually prescribe fast acting oral and topical antibiotics to bring symptoms under immediate control, and then continue long-term therapy with the topical medication alone to maintain remission.

You need to work closely with one dermatologist until you get it under control. Then you have to use the medication ALL the time to keep it under control.

Also, stay out of the tanning bed. Good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by Lindarella (edited 12-14-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2002, 02:32 AM   #3

IamJane HB User
If it's particulary bad, apparently laser treatment can help. I'm not sure how much truth is in this as I read it in a magazine. But it may be worth talking to a plastic surgeon about it. Make sure the plastic surgeon is registered with the Australian College of Plastic Surgeons. (I noticed you are in Aus too). there are a lot of quacks out practicing plastic surgery, so shop around. When you find one that you feel you can trust, ask to see pictures of results. If you are in NSW I may be able to throw a few names your way (no i haven't had any plastic surgery done, but working in a lot of hospitals you get to know some good ones). The only thing is, it probably wouldn't be covered by Medicare.

Jane

Closed Thread