It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rosacea Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 03:36 PM   #1

alwaystan HB User
Post Question for people with rosacea/facial redness

I was recently diagnosed with rosacea. Doc wasn't 100% since there's no sure way to test, but looked like I had the symptoms. I have always thought that I had really sensitive skin(which I do) and my allergies caused it. But this year I was really sensitive to sunlight.

But, it's not just parts of my face that are red. My whole face and neck are red except right underneath my eyes. And I don't really seem to have any triggers except really spicy foods and and alcohol sometimes. But I think a lot of people that don't have rosacea get a red from alcohol and spicy foods. Some days it is worse than others, but nothing really seems to "trigger" it.

I baically look like I have a mild sunburn all of the time and my face has progressively become more sensitive to sunlight.

Anyone else have similar symptoms? If so, what can I do about the redness? Dr. gave me some scripts that he said will take a while to work. Only the second day i have been using them and it seems worse than ever now. Which i guess is possible until my skin gets used to them. Are there any natural things I can do to reduce the redness?

Old 10-02-2003, 12:38 AM   #2

1butterfly HB User
I have rosacea too. When I first started using my prescription cream, it seemed to get worse, not better.I perservered for a long time not seeing any improvement.I stopped having hot coffee in the morning, and almost overnight my skin became very clear. Even though I use the medication, I still have to avoid the triggers or my rosacea will flare up-but not as bad as before. It's still too early for you to tell if the medicine works. Just use it faithfully and avoid any of the triggers.( you'll have to find out what they are-everyone is different)Spicy foods,chocolate,tomatoes,sour cream,strawberries,vinegar,alcohol, hot drinks,weather that is too hot or too cold,stress are some of the possible triggers.Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #3

alwaystan HB User
My derm gave me tetracycline and metrocream on Monday. The metrocream does actually seem to make it worse but I figured it may have to get worse before it gets better. I notice that I am really red after applying the metrocream so I may just start using it at night. The week before I went I quit coffee and so absolutely no difference. I have been letting my coffee cool to warm this week before I drink it just to be safe.

I also have very dry skin after showering in the morning and as the day progresses it gets very oily which makes me look worse. My derm also gave me clinac which is suppose to "absorb" oil. Today is the first time I have tried it and it does seem to be working. I am still a little red but not as "glowing"

Has anyone tried Jojoba oil and had luck diminishing redness?

Old 10-03-2003, 06:39 PM   #4

babygurl HB User
I have been diagnosed with rosacea for 3 years now and my face is really red also. I have been on antibiotics, creams, etc. Nothing has seemed to work for mine so my dermatologist has suggested taking acutane. He said there is an 80% chance that it will make it better. There is no cure but he said recent studies have shown it to help. He told me that if that doesnt work the last thing he can do is the laser thing. I havent started the acutane yet because now you have to qualify for it but when I start I will report back and let you know if it helps or not.

Closed Thread