It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sarcoidosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
(female)

ChrisRenee75 HB User
Sarcoidosis or Lymphoma?

Hello. Found this board while doing some research.

For a few months now I've been undergoing quite a bit of testing. It all started with chest cold I just couldn't quite kick. While the major symptoms had gone away I still had a bit of a cough and some severe chest pain when breathing. Primary care physician thought it was some pleurisy from the chest cold and put me on prednisone. After coming off that, same symptoms returned.

Long story short I was sent to hospital for further testing, chest xray and cat scan show severely swollen lymph nodes in middle of chest (beyond an inch in diameter). Had a bronchoscopy/needle biopsy done with inconclusive results. While one doctor did tell me it was clear of cancer cells, the next surgeon told me that cancer had not been ruled out. This surgeon will be performing a mediastinoscopy. He said needle biopsy showed just the cells, but the mediastinoscopy will show how everything is reacting all together (cells and lymph nodes).

Doctors are leaning towards a disease called sarcoidosis, but say that lymphoma could be a possiblity. Family is afraid because we did have an uncle with Hodgkin's and they are afraid that I may also have it.

Anyone had experience with a situation where it could be sarcoid or lymphoma and how was it for you? Thank you so much!

The following user gives a hug of support to ChrisRenee75:
punkin seed (01-03-2011)
Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
(male)

KevinS1284 HB User
Re: Sarcoidosis or Lymphoma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRenee75 View Post
Hello. Found this board while doing some research.

For a few months now I've been undergoing quite a bit of testing. It all started with chest cold I just couldn't quite kick. While the major symptoms had gone away I still had a bit of a cough and some severe chest pain when breathing. Primary care physician thought it was some pleurisy from the chest cold and put me on prednisone. After coming off that, same symptoms returned.

Long story short I was sent to hospital for further testing, chest xray and cat scan show severely swollen lymph nodes in middle of chest (beyond an inch in diameter). Had a bronchoscopy/needle biopsy done with inconclusive results. While one doctor did tell me it was clear of cancer cells, the next surgeon told me that cancer had not been ruled out. This surgeon will be performing a mediastinoscopy. He said needle biopsy showed just the cells, but the mediastinoscopy will show how everything is reacting all together (cells and lymph nodes).

Doctors are leaning towards a disease called sarcoidosis, but say that lymphoma could be a possiblity. Family is afraid because we did have an uncle with Hodgkin's and they are afraid that I may also have it.

Anyone had experience with a situation where it could be sarcoid or lymphoma and how was it for you? Thank you so much!
ChrisRenee,

I went through almost the exact thing...chronic coughing..almost a year...had a chest xray...told me that I had malignant lymphoma. Also kidney failure ....turned out to be sarcoid....they did a lymph removal and sent it out to be biopsied ...3 days later they told me it was sarcoid...hope this helps...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

loumz01 HB User
Re: Sarcoidosis or Lymphoma?

Drs. thought my daughter had Lymphoma. They took five lymp nodes from her neck and biopsied and it wasn't cancer. They dx'd her with Sarcoidoses. He neck was huge and she was sent from Dr. to dr. They didn't know how to treat her. She now goes to my Rheumatologist. (ENT did her surgery)
I was dx'd with non hodgkins lymphoma on halloween day of 2007. They were treating me for a node on my thyroid, because thats what they usually turn out to be. My lump in my neck grew so fast I KNEW what it was before they biopsied it. I was awake during biopsy. Took a long time . I had three treatments of Chemo 21 days apart and now I am doing the Radiation. PET scan showed I was cancer free in Feburary. Radiation is to kill any little cells. I am on my 8th treatment out of 20 and my throat is real sore. (the cancer was on my thyroid but NOT thyroid cancer) Cancer Dr. told my daughter that my cancer was rare and not for her to worry about getting it. SURE! ok for him to say. We are scared for her, since she already has had lymph node problems. I was treated at the West Michigan Cancer Center in my city and am very impressed with them. miss Lou

Closed Thread