It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #1

happyface25 HB User
Arrow Schizophrenia: INHERITED, BORN WITH IT OR PASSED BY FROM SOMEONE ESLE?

Can you be born with Schizophrenia , Can it really be inherited if your parents have it? or can you have it later on in life? Also Can Schizophrenia be "passed" on to other people like a sickness or infection?

Last edited by happyface25; 05-09-2004 at 01:21 PM.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Inactive

prometheus HB User
Re: Schizophrenia: INHERITED, BORN WITH IT OR PASSED BY FROM SOMEONE ESLE?

There is no evidence to suggest that schizophrenia is inherited or exists as a biological illness. They tried to prove that schizophrenia was inherited when Psychiatry became a eugenics program (it still is a eugenics program), and the definition of schizophrenia was much different back then, but they found no evidence to substantiate their ideas. Even today and some recent studies have failed to establish a link. The unfortunate part about this is that leading psychiatrists have been using heredity to diagnose people with mental illnesses, even though there was no evidence to support that. Psychiatrists do stuff like this all the time. They drug people on ideas and sometimes they drug people, experiment on people, and come up with ideas later on to justify it (such as the dopamine to justify neuroleptics hypothesis).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

If you don't want what is modernly known as schizophrenia, then don't do drugs.

Old 05-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #4

happyface25 HB User
Arrow Re: Schizophrenia: INHERITED, BORN WITH IT OR PASSED BY FROM SOMEONE ESLE?

I was very curious because, my neighbor has 3 children with Schizophrenia and the youngest son who is 20 now was married at 19 and had a child, (he's divorced now) and for me personally Im worried that this child could suffer from Schizophrenia since this family has 3 people who have the illness. The lady of these boys is very sweet and kind and she told me that Schizophrenia has been in her family for years before she bore these boys and that they all developed signs of Schizophrenia at an early age, so I was very curious as to this illness and if it can truly be inherited. But I do agree with you on the drugs part, the doctors keep giving these boys medication and I have noticed that the youngest boy becomes more "Schizo" after taking this medication and he tells me that he doesnt want to take them but that he has too. So thats why I was interested if this was inherited or not. Amazing ... my grandma told me that there were no such names for these illnesses back in the 40's and 50's and that now there is a name for just about every illness in the world today, we'll thanks for the advice I really appreciate it

Old 05-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
Inactive

prometheus HB User

You're welcome.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:51 PM   #6

00cera00 HB User

actually, many of the demographics studies show that concordance rates are very high among family members - the more genes you share with a schizophrenic, the more likely you are to suffer yourself. in other words, you are very likely to present symptoms if your twin has it, a little less likely if your mother/brother has it, then cousin, then second-cousin, etc.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:25 AM   #7

happyface25 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Schizophrenia: INHERITED, BORN WITH IT OR PASSED BY FROM SOMEONE ESLE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00cera00
actually, many of the demographics studies show that concordance rates are very high among family members - the more genes you share with a schizophrenic, the more likely you are to suffer yourself. in other words, you are very likely to present symptoms if your twin has it, a little less likely if your mother/brother has it, then cousin, then second-cousin, etc.

Interesting because my neighbor has had this "illness" (I dont know what else to call it) in her family and they have suffered because of it, thanks for your opinion 00cera00.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:40 PM   #8

zoron HB User

The last girl I was with was Schizo. Her parents and siblings seem OK, but I haven't been around them much to know. She said her parents fight a lot and her brother hits her too. I think she said she got a fist or blow on to her head by her brother over fighting for food. She also did Marijuana, and her sister insists that the doctor said it was the drug usage that caused the mental problems.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:03 AM   #9
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Which demographic studies? Particularly what date..and which definition of schizophrenia?

The unfortunate part about this is that psychiatrists and psychologists have been using heredity to "diagnose" mental illness when only a few "symptoms" are present (afterall there are no other tests for these diseases) before they had any (real) evidence to suggest that "mental illness" is hereditary. They tried many times to prove that it was hereditary and these studies were refuted on the grounds that they were contrived and the "results" were purposely skewed to serve their eugenics agenda. BTW, this eugenics agenda is not a hypothesis. It was openly stated and recorded many times by leading psychiatrists. So I can see how they could take a demographic study now and that study would show a higher concordance rate than previous rates, but it should be obvious that this higher concordance rate is due to nothing other than psychiatric diagnosis based on heredity...otherwise the concordance rates should have remained the same.

Last edited by prometheus; 05-15-2004 at 07:11 AM.

Old 05-15-2004, 12:17 PM   #10
Inactive

prometheus HB User

While we are believing in "schizophrenia" we might as well believe in "drapetomania":

(this is verbatim)"Drapetomania is the diseases causes slaves to run away. Drapetomania is from draptise. A runaway slave is mania mad or crazy. It is unknown to our medical authorities, although its diagnostic symptoms be absconding from service, is well known to our planters and overseers. In noticing a disease that, therefore, is hitherto classed among the long list of maladies that man is subject to, it was necessary to have a new term to express it. The cause in most cases that induces the Negro to run away from service is as much a disease of the mind as any other species of mental alienation, and much more curable as a general rule. With the advantages of proper medical advice strictly followed, this troublesome practice that many Negroes have of running away can be almost entirely prevented, although the slaves are located on the borders of a free state within a stone's throw of abolitionists."- Dr. Samuel Cartwright , "Report On The Diseases And Physical Peculiarities Of The Negro Race" New Orleans Medical And Surgical Journal, 1851.

Last edited by prometheus; 05-15-2004 at 12:23 PM.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:27 PM   #11

Joebinski HB User

prometheus, I learned of Drapetomania this semester, I personally like Lacan's views on psychosis and Foucault I ask you all to read. Psychiatry is as you say a eugenically driven ideology, but they do tackle a practical problem, of what to do with madmen with whome society has reason to fear. These are rare cases but until those such as ourselves forge an alternative from all the 'humane' therapies, psychiatry will continue to fry people's brains.

Most psychiatrists could do with a basic introduction to semiotic linguistics for a start....

Old 05-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #12
Inactive

prometheus HB User

In what context did you learn about Drapetomania? Tell me about Lacan and Foucault.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #13

happyface25 HB User

interesting...

Old 05-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #14

Joebinski HB User

I just wasted a post as my system crashed and it is 03.30

I learned of the antiquated disorder within my psychology/social anthropology degree at Brunel University. One of the senior lectures is a Lacanian psychoanalyst as well as a clinical psychologist (very rare in the UK) and takes an anti- psychiatric position.

Foucault wrote "Madness and Civilization" the history of madness essentially, his main thesis being that diagnostic categories, based on nosograpy (the method that accords symdromes according to symtomatic homogeneity) are in place so as to ensure social control by hegemonic forces. Without examining any more of his arguments now (as I am tired) I can illustrate his main thesis by citing informally the fact that both homosexuality and the practice of masturbation were considered (by psychiatry) to be the behavioural product of mental disorders, hence the eugenics argument.

Lacan's conception of psychosis is no picnic to disseminate. I leave you will a very helpful introductory quote. You can read the whole biography at http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/hopkins_guide_to_literary_theory/jacques_lacan.html

"Focusing on topics such as the ego, transference, psychosis, the death drive, repression, and sexuality, Lacan argued that Freud had understood the linguistic nature of human psychology but that he had simply lacked the Saussurean vocabulary necessary to articulate it. In Freud's analysis of Daniel Paul Schreber's case, for example, Freud had argued that Schreber's psychotic delusions were actually a defense against latent homosexual desires, but in Lacan's interpretation Schreber's delusions stem from the "foreclosure" of a "primordial signifier," the Name-of-the-Father. Schreber's fantasies about being the wife of God are attributed to his inability to assume a position in the symbolic order of language, and Schreber's auditory hallucinations are described as imaginary manifestations of the symbolic functions that he lacks.
This revision in Freud's theory of psychosis reflects Lacan's broader interests in the symbolic basis of Oedipal sexuality and even of the unconscious. In Les Psychoses: Seminar III, Lacan claims that the Saussurean distinction between the signifier and the signified enables us to see that the unconscious is "structured like a language" (187). It is governed entirely by the order of the signifier rather than by some autonomous realm of repressed desire and instinctual urges. Even sexual identity is determined by the subject's relation to the signifier, Lacan says, and not by some innate, biological predisposition. For Lacan, what Freud described as the Oedipal phase is actually a moment in which the individual faces the option of accepting or rejecting the signifier in the place of the object or the imaginary other. Although Freud called this signifier the phallus, its primary characteristic is not its status as a biological organ that one may or may not possess. Rather, this primordial signifier possesses the fundamental property of being separable from the object it represents. Freud identified this possibility as "castration," but Lacan claims that it is simply the functional principle that enables the signifier to appear as such. Sexuality and, more generally, personal identity is thus not biologically determined but instead constructed through one's relation to the symbolic order. The phallus, for example, is described by Lacan as "the privileged signifier of that mark in which the role of the logos is joined with the advent of desire" (…crits 287)."

Forgive me but it is late and this extract is surley better than anything I can offer right now. I look forward to talking to you all more soon.

Joe

Old 05-21-2004, 07:57 PM   #15

Joebinski HB User

As an afterthought.....Both psychiatry and psychoanalysis believe in heredity, in a sense.

Psychoanalysis is concerned with (amongst other things) early childhood, and in most (but not all) people's cases in western culture, that means parents. This ealy phase of influence the child is when the psychotic structure becomes established (though it is argued that one can have a psychotic structure without psychotic manifestations (symptoms)...This is not meant to be a comlete exaplanation, but is mereley designed to show an alternative aetiology that can loosly be said to have relevence to family patterning.

Psychiatry takes the view of genetic predisposition which takes away meaning from the subjective experience of 'schizophrenics'. The main problem with the argument of psychotic behaviour running in families as a justification of biological heredity is the alternative (and others that exist elsewhere).

Anthropology has clearly shown that there is more difference within 'races' than between them. The logical continuation is then that we stop using race as an overarching means of classifying people and that, actually, it's a pretty poor classifyer.

With schizophrenia too, it can be argued that there is more difference within schizoprenics than between them and the 'healthy', so that it too is redundant as a category.

Closed Thread