It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

lachesis HB User
poor concentration/no selective hearing

hi, i just joined because i have a question to ask that has been bothering me for awhile. I've always had trouble concentrating, but it is usually due to the fact that when i focus on one thing, a million other things will catch my attention. now, i cannot focus on anything. i say i have no selective hearing because the main symptom of this is that everything sounds as though it is at the same volume and i hear it all at once, like one huge loud din. i can't focus on one thing because everything blends into eachother. its understandibly rather maddening!

I've been trying to collection opinions on what could be causing this, because it has happened before but not for more than a week. some suggest that it is ADD, which i have never been diagnosed with but is a possibility. others suggest it is a symptom of schizophrenia. I've sort of accepted, as much as i don't like to, that i am a schizophrenic, but i would consider myself a "functional" schizophrenic in that i don't often have really bad episodes, i refuse to go on medication, and it is something i can usually cope with alright. it does make my life more difficult, but i live. someone else suggested it could be a brain tumor/head trauma, but i don't believe this to be the case because it isn't anything new, and someone else suggested a mild case of epilepsy, but it is too constant to be that i think.

this phase of mine is also accompanied by more frequent auditory hallucinations, more frequent nightmares, and general emotional aggitation. do you know anyone who has experienced this before, or do you have any idea what this might be caused by? i don't do drugs, i don't drink alcohol, and i haven't been subjected to more stress than usual. your help is greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: poor concentration/no selective hearing

Sounds like you're open to many possibilities, however to narrow them down
you'd have to be diag by a doctor. I dont know too much about Add but I
thought it was something that began as a child, however from what I've heard
it sounds like it could be that. You said you dont do drugs, drink, or have
been subject to unusual stress. Have you thought about any new foods or
liquids you have tried lately. This is rather far fetched, someone may have
spiked your coffee or pop just to see how you'd react How about exposure
to fumes, gases anything f that nature.

Whatever it is you wont know for certain unless you start seeing your doctor
to rule them out one by one. Good Luck

Last edited by kiehn; 01-15-2005 at 02:12 PM.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

lachesis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiehn
Sounds like you're open to many possibilities, however to narrow them down
you'd have to be diag by a doctor. I dont know too much about Add but I
thought it was something that began as a child, however from what I've heard
it sounds like it could be that. You said you dont do drugs, drink, or have
been subject to unusual stress. Have you thought about any new foods or
liquids you have tried lately. This is rather far fetched, someone may have
spiked your coffee or pop just to see how you'd react How about exposure
to fumes, gases anything f that nature.

Whatever it is you wont know for certain unless you start seeing your doctor
to rule them out one by one. Good Luck
thank you for your reply . i just left my last psychologist whom i did not mention this two because the last phase of it had passed and it didn't seem especially prevelant, and i'm in the process of finding a new one. i haven't been trying any new foods or drinks lately i don't think and i don't know of any way someone could have spiked my food, but that is a possibility. i also don't think i've been subjected to any fumes/gasses etc. what i'm mostly curious to know is if this is a symptom among schizophrenics (one schizophrenic i know believes it is, but i haven't found any further information on it) because it has been something that has happened before. once i rule that out/confirm it i can go from there. thanks again for your suggestions

Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

I should have said something in my first reply to you. Taking control of your health care as you are is one of the best things you can do for yourself. The other thing
that comes to mind regardsing the lack of concentration is have you ever felt your mind is racing? If so do a online self test for Bipolar or manic depression same thing.
Lack of concentration could be a symptom of just about any of the mental disorders.
Good Luck, K

Old 01-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

lachesis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiehn
The other thing that comes to mind regardsing the lack of concentration is have you ever felt your mind is racing? If so do a online self test for Bipolar or manic depression
thank you very much. i was diagnosed by one psychologist to be bipolar, but i did not find them to be incredibly reliable. its very difficult to discover precisely what is wrong but i'm working on it

Closed Thread