It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
(male)

curiouslearner HB User
Possible To have Schizophrenia Without Hallucinations

Is it possible to have schizophrenia if you don't have the hallucinations and delusions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Possible To have Schizophrenia Without Hallucinations

CuriousLearner, do you still think you have schizophrenia? I'm thinking that you don't. I'm not an expert on schizophrenia, but I think that the main diagnostic tool is hallucinations and/or delusions. In general, there must be some sort of bizarre behavior present, bizarre behavior that isn't exhibited in other illnesses like OCD, bipolar disorder, and panic disorder, that is. Also, another key factor is the loss of distinction between fantasy and reality. The only thing that you've told me so far that would fit under this category is our use of "imaginary characters," but I told you that my therapist said that this is normal for people with anxiety disorders. Perhaps you just have one of the personality disorders such as schizotypal? Maybe do some searching on that? Trust me, from the descriptions that you've told me, I'm still thinking OCD. Have there been any new symptoms that have led you to once again suspect schizophrenia? If so, what are they? Is this related to the Paxil withdrawal (which I responded to by the way) that you're currently experiencing? You seem to be like me with OCD: you've done sooo much research on it that you practically know every facet of the disorder! Write back soon!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-27-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
(male)

curiouslearner HB User

The only thing that characterized me with the schizotypal personality disorder was the discomfort with social settings. I don't have the "magical thinking" or the "weird appearance" or "odd beliefs." I didn't understand about the speech problems either. Why would you suggest it? And to be honest, I still worry about it. I'm gonna bring it up on Friday when I have my session.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

What speech problems? I was a little confused on that. As far as the discomfort in social settings, I think everybody with anxiety disorders has that. I think it's a good idea that you're bringing it up with your therapist/psychiatrist; that should quell some of your fears. Is there ANY particular reason that you're still worried about a schizophrenia diagnosis? I hope all is well with you, and try not to worry so much- I know, easier said than done! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-28-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

i have had speech issues since the fist year of dealing with panic/anxiety...
ill stumble over words, or sometimes slur them it can get pretty bad depending on how anxious i am.. if i am calm and just chatting usually i have no problem.. but if i get excited or am really into a intense convo i can sometimes sound like drunk lol.. i dont know if its from the anxiety and racing thoughs that break my concentration or not but its been going on for so long it just seems pretty normal for me anymore..

Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
(male)

curiouslearner HB User

i still worry about it because sometimes i feel so weird and like a zombie. i don't know what else it could be since i feel so weird and distant. is feeling weird and lacking energy something that is present in OCD too? sometimes when im real anxious i dont know if it's a psychotic episode or something. for isntance, when i find that im the only one in the house, maybe casue every one else has left to work or something, i start to feel a little scared. i dont know, it's just more comfortable when people are here. Lately, I've been so serious, too, that it scares me. It reminds me of how they say schizphrenics lack emotional expression. Tell me, what do schizophrenics normally appear like? I've never had any of these far-out delusions like that there are aliens out to get me or that i have to run from the country cause the government is after me-- I am far more reasonable than that. Tell me, what really characterizes the disease so that I can know if I'm just an overworried hypochondriac or something.

when i was reading about the personality disorder it said that people with it tend to have strange appearances and weird beliefs in the supernatural, aliens, witchcraft, etc. it said they may sound strange when they talk. that is what i meant when i said i didnt have any of those speech disordres.

Old 07-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, CuriousLearner! From what I've read, people who develop schizophrenia have always been a little eccentric. Did you go through a difficult birth (ex. prematurity, low birth weight, Cesarean because of fetal distress, forceps, etc.)? Many schizophrenics may have developed the disorder as a result of birth trauma; they also seem to be born during the winter months. As far as the emotions go, they're not always apathetic, but they might have inappropriate emotions such as laughing and/or crying at the wrong moments. It's not like they're serious, just devoid of all emotion at certain times. If you are superstitious, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're schizophrenic- many people with OCD (myself included) have extreme superstitious beliefs and "magical thinking." When you say that you feel distant, do you feel as if you're disconnected from your body and you're watching the world move as if you're watching a movie? If so, this is probably derealization/depersonalization, common in anxiety disorders, especially in panic disorder and during a panic attack. We have something else in common- I get nervous when I'm by myself in the afternoon, too! That's why I go on the computer sooo much during the summer because, unless I'm doing something to fill the void of silence while my mother's at work, I'll just panic. Inactivity plus silence equals obsessions... Feeling "distant" and lacking energy isn't part of OCD- the lacking energy part sounds more like depression to me. Many people who are depressed can feel apathetic and think that no one could possibly understand what they're going through (which is probably true, unless they've experienced it themselves). Has your family mentioned that you've been acting strangely? If so, is any of your "strange" behavior unrelated to OCD? If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Males tend to develop schizophrenia in the late teens and early twenties (I know you're male), and women usually develop it in the late thirties and early forties. There's a certain subtype called undifferentiated schizophrenia. I just read about it in an abnormal psych book last night, and here's what it said:
"[Undifferentiated schizophrenia is] a pattern of symptoms in which there's a rapidly changing mixture of all or most of the primary indicators of schizophrenia. Commonly observed are indications of perplexity, confusion, emotion turmoil, delusions of reference, excitement, dream-like autism, depression, and fear. Mos often, this picture is seen in patients who're in the process of breaking down and becoming schizophrenic. However, it's also seen when major changes are occurring in the adjustive demands impingin on a person with an already established schizophrenic psychosis. In such cases, it frequently foreshadows an impending change to another primary schizophrenic subtype [paranoid, catatonic, or disorganized]."
I would think, if there was any possibility whatsoever of you being schizophrenic, that you would have to be in the developing stages, and therefore, resemble a person with undifferentiated schizophrenia. Does the above describe you? If you think that this description fits, maybe try research on undifferentiated schizophrenia. Paranoid schizophrenia is "dominated by absurd, illogical, and changeable delusions, frequently acompanied by vivid hallucinations, with a resulting impairment of critical judgment and erratic, unpredictable, and occasionally dangerous behavior." Catatonic schizophrenia seems to resemble severe bipolar disorder, as the person has "alternating periods of extreme withdrawal and extreme excitement." This type is the one where the person can sit in the same position for days without moving; catatonic schizophrenia is becoming more rare, maybe because those that appear to have it are diagnosed as schizoaffective? The last type, disorganized, is the most severe. It, too, has some similarities to mania, although the hallucinations/delusions are often of a sexual, religious, hypochondriacal, or persecutory nature, rather than grandiose. "The voices heard by these patients may accuse them of immoral practices, 'pour filth' into their minds, and call them vile names." Sounds some what like OCD, doesn't it? But here's where that big difference comes in:
OCD-ers know that it's their own inner voice "pouring filth" into their thoughts, but disorganized schizophrenics actually hear outside voices. "As the disorder progresses, the individual becomes emotionally indifferent and infantile. A silly smile and inappropriate, shalow laughter after little or no provocation are common symptoms. If asked the reason for their laughter, patients may state that they do not know or may volunteer some wholly irrelevant and unsatisfactory explanation. Speech becomes incoherent and may include considerable baby talk, childish giggling, a repetitious use of similar-sounding words, and a derailing of thought along the lines of associated meanings that may give a pun-like quality to speech. In some instances, speech becomes completely incoherent, a 'word salad.'" Note how the speech can become incoherent, which also happens in mania, but for a different reason: during mania, the person is impossible to understand because they're talking so fast; in disorganized schizophrenia, the person's talking gibberish. The reason that there is some similarities between disorganized schizophrenia and full-blown mania is because, during full-blown mania seen in bipolar I disorder, the person can become psychotic and have hallucinations/delusions. I hope I've been able to help. God bless, and write back soon!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-28-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
(female)

lachesis HB User

the "weirdness" you described sounds to be like derealization/depersonalization, which is most often a symptom of an anxiety or panic disorder. depersonalization can make you feel unreal, dead, mechanical, etc, while derealization can make you feel as though nothing is real, you are detached, and etc, as GatsbyLuvr1920 said. feeling scared, even in a situation that "normal" people would find it odd to be scared in is also not a symptom of schizophrenia, no matter how scared you can become. i think of it this way:if you are afraid because you're worried that something is going to happen, it is anxiety. however, if you are afraid because you are convinced something is happening and no one can convince you otherwise, and it is something that other people would consider unreasonable then it is characterized as a delusion and can be a symptom of schizophrenia. even then, some people with very bad anxiety can experience delusions or even hallucinations.

hope you find some answers soon

Old 07-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
(male)

curiouslearner HB User

I saw my therapist today and, after letting all my fears be known, she told me I don't have schizphrenia and that I can stop worrying about it. We did agree that I had some symptoms of OCD like repetitive thoughts, counting, and the compulsion of repeatedly washing my hands (I did this when I was younger), and we're going to work on that together with CBT, since with her approval, I will begin tapering off of Paxil. I thought it was pretty good news, and I'm going to work at putting this fear of developing schizophrenia past me. Thanks Gatsby for all of your wonderful help through this. Write back soon and God bless.

Last edited by curiouslearner; 07-29-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:01 PM   #10

Blue102 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Commonly observed are indications of perplexity, confusion, emotion turmoil, delusions of reference, excitement, dream-like autism, depression, and fear.
I think everybody has schizophrenia...or at least can convince themselves that they do...we OCDer's are especially prone to it...

Old 07-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah! You now officially know that you don't have schizophrenia! That's great! Isn't it nice to have one less worry to worry about? And she also confirmed the OCD diagnosis, which we've suspected all along. I guess my therapist was right- our "imaginary characters" are OCD-related, and have absolutely no connection to schizophrenia! I'm glad that I was of help to you; if you've been reading Amberay's post, you'll know about my upcoming vacation- I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon and coming back August 11th, so if I don't answer, don't think I'm blowing you off! If you have any more questions, just let me know, and feel free to write me anytime!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
Oh, Blue102- you're so right about us OCD-ers convincing us of practically anything absurd!

Old 07-31-2005, 06:03 PM   #12

Jedi Mind Trick HB User
Curiouslearner

Hi Curiouslearner,

What you need to do is turn off the computer, exercise, and STAY OFF THE COMPUTER or you WILL THINK THAT YOU HAVE SCHIZOPHRENIA!!!!

Do yourself the favor and do the things that I suggested!

Hope things are going well,

Jedi Mind Trick

Old 08-15-2005, 06:03 AM   #13
(male)

craazy HB User

hallucinations come in many diffent ways for each person. some might see objects moving in an unexpected ways leading up to visually seeing something that does not exist, eg two inch men, this can acctually terrify the person at the time, but because of the large amount of time between hallutionaytions It can be treated quickly with drugs and therapy. these effects on there own are not part of the diagnosis for schitzophrenia

However if the patient constantly complained about lack of vision and blurriness in one eye this would be considered as a hallutionations particually if they have thier eyes tested by an opthalmic (eye) surgeon in hostpital. This person is suffering from hallutionations. This on its own can not be used to diagnose any problem only after assessing all of the side effects from the person can a diagnosis be made about the persons disease or mental illness. I suffer fron schitzophrenia and i am in my original phycotic state (nearly) all the time

Old 08-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #14

Distec HB User

One of the definitions behind Schizophrenia is the split between thinking and feeling and thought disorders, repetative thoughts, etc. I have had hallucinations, but mine didn't come in images, but in voice and feelings. I have since stopped having them once I started orthomolecular therapy

Closed Thread