It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
(male)

Rhetics HB User
Seroquel

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced extreme lethargy while first taking Seroquel. Also, if you have, how long did this last? And I'm not talking about drowsiness, I have honestly never felt this tired before. Also, I was wondering about side effects, if any, from Abilify and Lamictal. I am currently on all three, but I took the Lamictal yesterday around 3:00 or so and the Seroquel at about 11 at night. I wouldn't think Lamictal has the potency to last through the night and into today, but I'd feel more comfortable if I heard some other opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by Rhetics; 09-24-2005 at 12:59 PM.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User
Re: Seroquel

Hi Rhetics-
I'm usually up at the Bipolar board, but I saw your post and had to check in. I am on Abilify and Lamictal along with other meds and doing great. The Abilify and Lamictal don't sedate like the Seroquel did for me. I was on a high dose of Seroquel-enough to put a horse to sleep!
From my limited experience with Lamictal, it does a good job of controlling my symptoms w/Abilify. I would like Seroquel for the sleep benefit. I take nothing that helps me sleep except a small dose of trazadone. BTW what is your diagnosis(bipolar, schiz, schizoaffective, depression)?

See ya later

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
(female)

lachesis HB User

seroquel completely knocked me out in the beginning, and i was only at 100 mg at the time. generally after about 3 days the fatigue starts to wear off.. it's quite remarkable, because i'm at over 600 mg now and i really don't feel tired at all. your body gets used to it rather quickly, at least from my experience.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
(female)

poetprose HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby706
Hi Rhetics-
I'm usually up at the Bipolar board, but I saw your post and had to check in. I am on Abilify and Lamictal along with other meds and doing great. The Abilify and Lamictal don't sedate like the Seroquel did for me. I was on a high dose of Seroquel-enough to put a horse to sleep!
From my limited experience with Lamictal, it does a good job of controlling my symptoms w/Abilify. I would like Seroquel for the sleep benefit. I take nothing that helps me sleep except a small dose of trazadone. BTW what is your diagnosis(bipolar, schiz, schizoaffective, depression)?

See ya later

Hi... I had to take 200 mils of seroquel while coming out of a manic bipolor episode, it nocked me out , but it did help me get through a rough time , i was paranoid, and thought i was a prophet for God and th9ught my hubby was a spy for the govt ..... it was quite a rough episode

Old 11-16-2005, 06:52 AM   #5
(male)

I am back on Seroquel-100 mg at PM, along with Abilify, Lithium, Topamax, and Lamictal. The trazadone is history, I have always done better-sleepwise on Seroquel. BUT, doc is toying with the notion of d/c Lithium in favor of a maintenace dose of Lamictal, and increasing Seroquel into the 300-400 mg range.

I am currently on the more hypomanic side, and he thinks the Seroquel will lessen the over-agitation I sometimes experience. My Lith level is at .5 (very low for me-used to run.8-.9) so I don't even know what good Lithium is doing for me. Doc says Seroquel is approved for type 1 bipolar-mania.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive

happyhome HB User
Re: Seroquel ANYBODY GAIN WEIGHT ?

Hello,

Actually, I have been taking Seroquel I think since 1996 when it came out (not sure there) which replaced "severe anxiety problems I was having....I don't like chaning drugs.....its a scary procedure to me...but Seroquel worked like a charm....no anxiety, days are smooth, sleep like that horse, the lady state below. I think more would do me well about 200 mg and I could get off other medications.

Now my doctor for my situation wants me off because of WEIGHT GAIN.....has anyone experienced such weight gain after several years there doctors want them to come off Seroquel, when it works so great for me. I have worked for years on it, and besides being a little "hard to wake up at first, I was on the go !" Now they want me to try Lamictal...

In 16 years I have never tried any other drug......so Lamiktal, it is spelled on my script just sits on the COUCH, until I get some GOOD FEEDBACK ABOUT IT....Does anybody feel LESS ANXIOUS ON LAMICTAL ? The doctor told me about a rash I could get in the first 8 weeks....I HAVE DONE GREAT ON SEROQUEL........and wish I could stay on it, but I am having a good dose of weight gain, and he wants me to stop it.......anybody gaining weight on SEROQUEL........ I am ADD with severe anxiety....and after Hurricane Katrina, no telling how SEVERE it is now ! Anybody like their Lamictal ?

Thanks worried

Old 11-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

barkingshark HB User

happyhome, there is another good med called Topamax, which isn't as risky as the one you mentioned (Lamictal) but is the same class of med. I used it for awhile and it worked well. It is associated with weight loss and controls anxiety. I don't think it blocks Histamine so it might not make you sleep like Seroquel though.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
(male)

happyhome-

You are wise about not changing meds too often, I have been through the ringer with med changes!!

I think Lamictal is a good med, except it takes so darn LONG to get to a maintenance dose. I am still at 150 mg/day and having much irritabilty-sometime's Lamictal causes mood swings! Be aware, it happens.

Topamax is good, I never got sleepy on it or Lamictal-and you can lose weight on Topamax.

Good Luck!!

Toby706

Old 11-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Inactive

happyhome HB User
Re: Seroquel Benefits/ Weight Gain/higher glucose ?

Thanks Toby,

My doctor did give me a script for Topomax, since I have gained so much weight on seroquel......it is now on the internet for "weight gain" and diabetes II, which I both now have, and went from 133 pounds to 260 ........

NOW THEY WANT ME OFF, AND IT IS GREAT !

My cobra insurance runs out and I am afraid if I take Topomax will I be able to afford it after........I think sometimes the best thing to do is research the drug and its know side affect, and how long on the market, before we become a study statitstic..........I have great on serouquel, but now I do have diabetes II , and it does not run in the family, probably from all this weight......I even read how great is stores in the liver.....in which my liver is up for SGOT and SPGT or something....

I just have been through med changes and

Did Topamx control any anxiety you may have ? Thanks happyhome !

Old 11-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

barkingshark HB User

Topamax is less than half the price of Seroquel.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby706
I think Lamictal is a good med, except it takes so darn LONG to get to a maintenance dose. I am still at 150 mg/day and having much irritabilty-sometime's Lamictal causes mood swings! Be aware, it happens.
Wow, you just said a mouthful! I took myself off of Lamictal years ago when I noticed a dramatic change in my attitude and temperment. If someone looked at me cross or said something even remotely snide I would literally start sobbing. I cried numerous times a day at anything and everything. The breaking point for me was when I started thinking about how I was going to commit suicide (not if) and I've never been suicidal in my life. As soon as I stopped taking it I was my normal self again. Obviously, not everyone will have the same reaction to it as I did, but I'd sooner swallow nails than take that **** again!

Last edited by Sassafrass627; 11-18-2005 at 06:29 PM.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #12
Inactive

happyhome HB User

Thanks for the info Sassafrass627, although I know things are different for different people.........Barkingshark, have you ever taken topamax ? I have anxiety problems, and my doctor was using Seroquel for the last 6 yrs at low dose for anxiety and sleep, and I can't say enough good about it, except the weight gain................and the cost !

Now being a Katrina victim, price is of great concern, and what I can afford after.........and even higher anxiety........had any good luck with Topomax ? May have to start new thread to ask .............thanks for the $ issue.....

Someone gave me a link to go online and see if drug companies can help when your insurance runs out, and my doctor said it will be of GREAT HELP.....and need, especially down here, where everything in Pharmacy is going fast ! Thanks !

Last edited by happyhome; 12-05-2005 at 11:43 PM.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:45 AM   #13
(female)

Handcuffed2Life HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetics
Hello. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced extreme lethargy while first taking Seroquel. Also, if you have, how long did this last? And I'm not talking about drowsiness, I have honestly never felt this tired before. Also, I was wondering about side effects, if any, from Abilify and Lamictal. I am currently on all three, but I took the Lamictal yesterday around 3:00 or so and the Seroquel at about 11 at night. I wouldn't think Lamictal has the potency to last through the night and into today, but I'd feel more comfortable if I heard some other opinions. Thanks!

Yea, when I first started taking serequel i slept for 3 days strait... I'm on abilify now which doesn't make me tired at all, I even take it in the morning. I don't understand why they would have you on abilify and seroquel..

Old 12-23-2005, 05:13 AM   #14
(male)

dave_81 HB User

I've just started taking 400mg of seroquel per day for psychotic depression and am also feeling extremely tired. I've basically sleep for the past two days. If this keeps up I'm gonna have to change meds.

Best,

Dave_81

Old 12-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Inactive

happyhome HB User

I have been taking 100 to 200 milligrams of Seroquel for 5 years for anxiety problems, and when had stressfull job, needed it to stay working.....I have they say depression with major anxiety which is a hard combination to manage ...I suppose......I love my serouquel, but have gained weight and after 5 yrs want to take me off, but I love it, it makes me stay calm, but Yes it does make for lethargy........I have to admit......in the beginning depending how much they start.....

But I needed it to sleep, and to calm me down, so I love it....they want to put me on Lamictal.....and I don't want to change.......maybe you can tell me what Lamitacl does...........

Seroquel does, have a profound lethargy at first, depending on the dose, but I have done very well on this drug and wish I could go down to about 50 milligram one day.....to get a little more pep ! Maybe a smaller dose one day will work great.....

Closed Thread