It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

SomePerson12 HB User
Do I need medication

I was told by doctors that I need schizophrenia medication but i'm not so sure about it. Did anyone have any problems with any????? Right now I'm on effexor but still feel like crap everyday.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User
Re: Do I need medication

someperson12-

By "schizophrenia" medication-do you mean the new stuff like Abilify, Seroquel, Geodon...ect or do you mean the older stuff like Thorazine and Mellaril?
I have been on both types of meds-most of the newer ones and one of the older ones-Haldol. There are differences, in side effects and price of the meds and effectiveness. It's a choice you and your doc will have to come to, Good Luck....

toby706

p.s. -I have never taken effexor so I have no experience to relate to that issue, sorry...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 02:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

My guess, SomePerson12, is that the decision all depends on the symptoms. What are you on Effexor for? In my experience I'm guessing depression, anxiety? Is the reason you "feel like crap" is because of the depression and anxiety or actual Schizophrenia symptoms? If the Schizophrenia or psychotic symptoms bother you or affect your daily living, it might be a good idea to try Anti-Psychotics. If your Schizophrenic symptoms or your psychosis doesn't bother you or affect you in any way, I don't see why you need to go on them. Mainly because some Anti-Psychotics can alter the Schizophrenic/Psychotic state in negetive ways because of sideaffects and usage.

With my Effexor usuage (pertaining to Major depression and Severe Anxiety) some doasges just didn't do it for me. If you would like to stick to that certain medication you could try altering the dosage or altering the time you take it. If neither of those scenerios work, I'd suggest another med to treat those specific symptoms.

The med-go-round takes a lot of time and altercations, but once you find what works, it can really help you though life.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

SomePerson12 HB User

Thank you for responding Toby706 and SuchGreatHeight. I have been on anti depressants on and off for a long time now. Recently I was told I have been displaying symptoms of Schizophrenia. Something about me creating my own world, so I'm guessing my symptoms are probably very very mild. Still, if it would help me to "get back up" I would consider Anti-Psychotics.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

"Creating your own world", is that the only reason that they believe you are Schizophrenic? What are your other symptoms? In my experience and knowledge depression can cause you to slick back into your own world as well. If that is the only reason they suspect that diagnosis, I would strongly reccomend you severely look into Anti-Psychotics. As I said before, sometimes they can do more damage than good. Especially with mild symptoms. Taking that rollar coaster ride with new meds sometimes isn't worth it. But please, don't let me discourage you from any specific medication you haven't tried. Sometimes they can do a lot of good, even with mild symptoms. I just want you to understand every possible scenario. Just trying to look out for you.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
(female)

Mortician HB User

dont let them put you on zyprexa.
........................................ .......................or colanzpine

Old 02-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

And don't let other people's post completely alter your decision of if or what medication you take. I know many people who have taken Zyprexa and Colanzpine, and do very well on them. Every person reacts to medications differently. If one person takes a medicine and gets bad sideaffects or bad results, it doesn't mean that it won't work for you specifically.

SGH

Closed Thread