It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User
Is derealization/depersonalization a symptom of Schizohprenia?

If you suffer from DR/DP can it turn into Schizophrenia?

Hi...... I have a question. I have asked this before... here goes..

Here is some background info...

21 year old female
Diagnosed with Panic Disorder/Anxiety

I have been having panic attacks and bad anxiety since I was about 17... I went through a period of extreme panic attacks, like every day. I went to the emergency room twice during this period and that is how I got my diagnoses. I went to a trained counselor at a Mental Health place and he also agreed with the diagnoses.

I wouldn't drive because I was afraid of having panic, I had the classic symptoms, racing heart, fear of going crazy, flushness, wanting to "get out" etc....

Now, I havn't had a lot of panic attacks lately and feel the best I have felt in awhile.. although I still have my days. Except I have been having an extreme fear of developing schzophrenia. I am not delusional (at least I don't feel like I am), no hallucinations.......
I work at a day care 5 days a week, have a wonderful relationship with my Fiance' and my parents...

The only thing that really "runs" in my family is depression and anxiety. My dad was diagnosed with depression, but thats about it. I went to college, did well in school. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. (i never have).

Any opinions? I would REALLY appreciate it. I need some reassurance please

Thanks
-Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Is derealization/depersonalization a symptom of Schizohprenia?

Hello, MissAngela. I have had my share of both derealization and depersonalization issues in the past. Although both CAN be a symptom of Schizophrenia (even though it is a symptom of anxiety), not all have problems with it. And a lot with them don't show any signs of Schizophrenia at all.

Derealization or Depersonalization turning into schizophrenia isn't too likely though. More than likely, if you had Schizophrenia they would be a symptom and not the root of the problem.

Considering you have no positive (hallucinations, delusions) symptoms of schizophrenia, I don't see why you suspect this particular issue.

I have to ask this though, does your anxiety and panic attacks have anything to do with not being able to carry out a certain routine or ritual? What causes your panic/anxiety?

Certain anxiety issues (i.e OCD) can cause you to worry about things like this (developing Schizophrenia). With your current symptoms, I wouldn't suspect Schizophrenia. Rather than a symptom of worry/anxiety.

SGH

Last edited by SuchGreatHeight; 01-30-2006 at 09:35 PM.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

Thank You............ I have major health anxiety.. like if I have a pain I am convinced that its cancer or some other terminal illness...

Now I guess I have convinced myself that anxiety can turn into schzophrenia.

Thank you for your opinion!!

Anyone else?

-Angela

Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
(female)

i-be-peabody HB User

Yeah. I have pretty much the same consensus. I suffer depersonalization and feeling removed from reality as a symptom of my illness but then again, so do my friends, one is bipolar, one has bad anxiety. She says she feels it most when her panic attacks get out of control. She also has OCD and when she's in an obsessive or compulsive (or both) place, she gets the panic attacks. So short story long, it can be a symptom of many things.

Schizophrenia has some hallmark symptoms. Hearing voices or seeing visions that no one else can coroberate. Other types of hallucination like feeling tactile sensations that aren't "really" there, smelling or tasting strange things. (Like this one time, I had hot chocolate and when I drank it, it tasted like feces.) There is also often delusional thinking. That the CIA are tracing you through a chip in your head, that you control the weather, that you are famous, etc. You're suspicious of those most would consider harmless. That sort of thing. And it's not just worrying or being a little paranoid. You KNOW this is happening the same way you know Wednesday follows Tuesday.

There's also a lot of confusion, memory interruption, sometimes there are thoughts you have or things you say that no one can make sense of. A feeling of being enlightened is common. This was, and still is to some extent, my experience. Though some was very bad, this, above all else, was always there. The feeling of heightened awareness, the feeling of discovery.

Anyhow, I'm getting off track. If you're suffering depersonalization at all, you should bring it up with your doctor. It's a reallyscary, surreal feeling and it's stressful. But unless you're having (or are being told you're having) hallucinations or delusions, don't worry yet about a worse case. But do see your doctor, if you can.

love and peace
pea

Old 02-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

I have been to a therapist and he diagnosed me with Panic Disorder/Depression/Anxiety....

I have also been to the emergency room 2 times and they said it was panic attacks/anxiety/depression....

So..?

Thanks
-Angela

Old 02-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Derealization and Depersonalization are most commonly a symptom of Anxiety. Decrease your anxiety and it decreases your DR/DP. If you're not already on any, go see a doctor and recieve medications. Since you have a diagnosis, it shouldn't be much trouble. Also try to relieve stress and fatigue which can make anxiety worse.

SGH

Old 02-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

bump

-Angela

Old 02-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

BUMP

-Angela

Old 02-08-2006, 03:14 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Why is this specific subject being bumped? Is there anything else you'd like to know or understand? If so, do tell

SGH

Old 02-08-2006, 04:27 AM   #10
(female)

i-be-peabody HB User

If they're telling you every time you go to the emerg that it's just anxiety, try this trick. The next time it happnes to you, repeat over and over "This is a panic attack. I'm not having a heart attack, I'm not going to lose my mind... I'm okay.. everything's okay." Also distraction is the best medication, from what I've experienced. If I'm having a panic attack but I'm not in episode, often distraction will work beautifully. Funny distraction is the best kind. I always have a tape of the Simpsons handy or I've got a bunch downloaded. Whenever I feel panicked, I pop it on and watch it until I start to calm down. Usually if I really concentrate on the show, I start to feel better. I also find music very theraputic. I'll listen to it or play it. I'll pick up the guitar or sit at the piano until I'm feeling better or I'll listen to music and just lie there and practice the feeling of being at peace.

These sound like chiches but they do work if you work them (Does that make sense? It sounded funny *lol*) There is also medication that can help calm panic attacks almost instantly but you'd have tospeak toyour doctor about those as they're not over the counter or anything.

peace
pea

Old 02-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

Thanks...

I was bumping to see if anyone else had anymore insight.

Thanks everyone!

-Angela

Old 02-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAngela
Thanks...

I was bumping to see if anyone else had anymore insight.

Thanks everyone!

-Angela
While DP and DR can be from anxiety, SSRi's can also cause them.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

I took Lexapro for almost 2 years. Due to weight gain, I decided to taper off of it. I have been off of it for almost 8 months. Now I take Vistaril 25mg before bed and 25mg of Lopressor in the morning.

Thanks everyone. Everyone elses's comments are appreciated!

-Angela

Old 02-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAngela
I took Lexapro for almost 2 years. Due to weight gain, I decided to taper off of it. I have been off of it for almost 8 months. Now I take Vistaril 25mg before bed and 25mg of Lopressor in the morning.

Thanks everyone. Everyone elses's comments are appreciated!

-Angela
Hmm, you are on two sedative type meds, maybe that's why you feel a little out of it??(DR) It makes sense that when one is on a depressant or two they might feel a bit strange perhaps, for example, it said that Lopressor has side effects of mental confusion, headaches and short term memory loss so maybe you need a smaller dose or something if it really makes you feel out of touch.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

Quote:
Hmm, you are on two sedative type meds, maybe that's why you feel a little out of it??(DR) It makes sense that when one is on a depressant or two they might feel a bit strange perhaps, for example, it said that Lopressor has side effects of mental confusion, headaches and short term memory loss so maybe you need a smaller dose or something if it really makes you feel out of touch.
Really? I was not aware of the side effects of the medication! That would make sense then....

Where did you find the side effects?

Thanks
Angela

Closed Thread