It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

sparklyeyes HB User
does taking meds make u forget things?

Ive been seeing a bloke who has Schizophrenia, I was just wondering if taking loads of meds make you forget things, also things that you have already said to people?

Because he seems to repeat himself and his memory is very bad?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: does taking meds make u forget things?

Medications can actually increase memory loss. But it isn't a solid symptom becuse it is usually in outcome of how your specific brain works (on how your brain reacts to the changes). And of coarse, every one is diferent.

If his memory loss gets increasingly severe, another medication might be in order. Because that could be a sign of Neurological damage or severe thought processing problems.

SGH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

Mortician HB User

yes when i was on meds. ever single kind they put me on i couldnt remember anything. it was like i had amnesia sometimes.
id be like did i tell you about the time? and they'd be like....yeah like 4 times
HAHA

it sucks, and i quit the meds for a while now....and i STILL foget alot of stuff.
i found zyprexa to be the worst.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
(female)

Msszsingle HB User

Some antipsychotic meds can have a sedative effect, which is great if you want to get rid of those jittery, antsy shaking-the-foot feelings. But the sedation tends to affect my memory, also, just because being so sleepy means I am not paying attention as well as I might otherwise. But most of the time, I find when I am not able to pay attention or my thoughts are "derailing" and I am maybe slightly confused and unfocused and even repeating myself, it is because I am not taking the right kind of medication or enough of what I am taking. Not because the med is causing loss of memory.

And unfortunately, it may be that after you are on a med that really does you some good and clears up your thinking, you may forget what you were like off the med and stop taking it. But in my own case, that is just normal human desire to deny a reality that you don't like.

Closed Thread