It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

*Stacy* HB User
GREAT Article

Hey everyone- I am really skeptical on what Dr's claim to know about "mental illness." After reading this article, I am almost convinced that there is no such thing. This is probably one of the best articles I've read and please, feel free to read it. It truly gets you thinking. I hope those who read, enjoy it. Stacy =)

[url]http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Szasz/myth.htm[/url]

"The Myth of Mental Illness."

"Since medical action is designed to correct only medical deviations, it seems logically absurd to expect that it will help solve problems whose very existence had been defined and established on nonmedical grounds."

Old 02-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: GREAT Article

Mental illness is not based on so-called "non-medical grounds." This article was obviously written by someone who still clings to antiquated Freudian beliefs. Every mental illness that exists is due to brain structure abnormalities and neurotransmitter malfunctions: with schizophrenia, it's an excess of dopamine; with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, it's a deficit of serotonin. I'm studying to be a neuropyschological researcher, so I'm a total believer in the neurobiological causes of mental illness, especially since I know that all of my psychiatric disorders are developmentally based. Just wanted to share my opinion...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

*Stacy* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Mental illness is not based on so-called "non-medical grounds." This article was obviously written by someone who still clings to antiquated Freudian beliefs. Every mental illness that exists is due to brain structure abnormalities and neurotransmitter malfunctions: with schizophrenia, it's an excess of dopamine; with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, it's a deficit of serotonin. I'm studying to be a neuropyschological researcher, so I'm a total believer in the neurobiological causes of mental illness, especially since I know that all of my psychiatric disorders are developmentally based. Just wanted to share my opinion...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
Ah, I guess I do understand what you are saying however MUCH of mental illness today is due to social and environmental influences. I am learning much about this, but from a different approach (Psychology) and I do understand that certain disorders are biological (i.e Schizophrenia) however, if you look at research/statistics, a majority of mental illness are unfortunately attached to people of the lower socioeconomic status (more towards poverty)- so that definetly does say something about environment and influences. I agree that Schizophrenia is biological however, who are we to say what's "normal," and what's not? In my opinion, society has a problem because they are the one who claims to know the "norm," for everyone (yet everyone is different). As for OCD, I've seen some people get through that disorder without medication, so obviously people have more power than they think (and in this OCD case, the girl was traumatized by her father's death when it started- so that is definetly not based on genetics/biology). Perhaps certain people are more predisposed to these disorders however, like I said, it could depend on the environment and other influences, to bring them out (more stress, malnutrition, abuse, etc). The environment influences everyone. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. =)

Last edited by *Stacy*; 02-13-2006 at 05:12 AM.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Not to be Ms.Neutral, but if I may, let me connect your posts. Many studies show that both Neurological and Environmental (social) events can influence certain Mental Illnesses.

The best way to describe such is that, say Schizophrenia, can be contained in the brain (because of Neurological Defect) but show no signs or symptoms. But if a traumatic or influencial event comes into the picture, symptoms may show up, releasing the Neurological affect.

Say two people go to war (same upbringing, same gender, same body type and not related). Both go through the same traumatic event. The persson with the Neurological defect can show signs of Schizophrenia after that event fertalizes it. The other person may have Anixety, Depression or Post Traumatic Stress (because of event), but without the Neurological defects can not develope Schizophrenia because of that trauma.

I'm afraid I dont have solid articles to back me up, but hopefully my story can give you the picture.

SGH

(PS Stacy, I hope you give my above scenario more thought, but I must ask. What exactly did you mean that "After reading this article, I am almost convinced that there is no such thing"? That there is no such thing as Mental illness?)

Old 02-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Stacy- I appreciate you respecting my opinion. I just wanted to further add comments on the OCD thing. I didn't say in my first post, but I've been a sufferer from OCD all of my life and don't be fooled- it can be extremely debilitating. I know that I couldn't survive without medication, and even though I still may obsess three hours a day on Prozac, imagine how many hours I would obsess if I didn't take it or go to CBT. And as for my other anxiety disorders, I've lived with panic attacks and worry for 15 years, since age 3, and the only way that I can literally deal in extreme situations is by popping a Klonopin...As for over-diagnosis of mental illness and little hesitation to start people on psychiatric medications today, I DO agree with you on that one, but the ignorant doctors who think everyone who walks in their office has ADHD or bipolar disorder are to blame- they're only adding to the misconceptions about psychiatric disorders. Oh, and SuchGreatHeights, I totally agree with you on the environmental factor, but you said the key thing- if the genetics weren't there, the environmental trigger wouldn't cause the mental illness...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 02-13-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Yes indeedy
I just wanted to show that both factors played a part.
I happen to think that over diagnosing, misdiagnosing and even underdiagnosing are equal denominators. Although I know some diagnose to persue greed of money.
Considering there is no steady "proof" of Mental Illness, we have to understand that the above factors would be present.
Psychology is definitely no angel, even though I'm sure I can conjur up the good over the bad.

Hrm. Psychology vs Mental Illness is like School vs Education.

SGH

(PS I have quite a few labels, but considering most seem to comorbid, I wouldn't blame anyone for "over diagnosing" rather than understanding the gaps of Psychology.)

Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
(female)

*Stacy* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
Not to be Ms.Neutral, but if I may, let me connect your posts. Many studies show that both Neurological and Environmental (social) events can influence certain Mental Illnesses.

The best way to describe such is that, say Schizophrenia, can be contained in the brain (because of Neurological Defect) but show no signs or symptoms. But if a traumatic or influencial event comes into the picture, symptoms may show up, releasing the Neurological affect.

Say two people go to war (same upbringing, same gender, same body type and not related). Both go through the same traumatic event. The persson with the Neurological defect can show signs of Schizophrenia after that event fertalizes it. The other person may have Anixety, Depression or Post Traumatic Stress (because of event), but without the Neurological defects can not develope Schizophrenia because of that trauma.

I'm afraid I dont have solid articles to back me up, but hopefully my story can give you the picture.

SGH

(PS Stacy, I hope you give my above scenario more thought, but I must ask. What exactly did you mean that "After reading this article, I am almost convinced that there is no such thing"? That there is no such thing as Mental illness?)
Hello I wasn't specifically referring to Schizophrenia (as I should have made that clear). In fact, I do believe this specific disorder is purely (mostly) biological, from what I've researched. I posted this article because as for many other illnesses, I think it's quite accurate (and I thought people would find this interesting). Earlier, I was convinced that it was mostly biological (most mental illness), but this author has many points that make sense.

I completely understand your scenario and I do agree with a lot of what you've said. Certain people are predisposed for certain disorders. I believe though that for things like depression, anxiety, OCD (in some cases), etc, can be easily caused by environmental influences and/or traumatic experiences. This is why I used the statistic of most mental illnesses affecting the lowest SES ladder. So much is brought out through environment.

Indeed, biology plays a role, however I don't think that's the case for many, and to me, too many Dr's think medication is ALWAYS the answer. I just think because "mental illness" has been basically thought of as a "wrong way of thinking/living," it seems silly that there's someone out there who knows the "correct way to think/live."

Stacy =)

Last edited by *Stacy*; 02-13-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, Stacy. I just wanted to let you in on my personal story- my father was mentally and verbally abusive to both my mother and I, and I know that he made my anxiety worse (on purpose at times...), but the inherent anxiety was always there. Also, a lot of my problems as a kid came from my mild Asperger's that I just realized a few months ago that I have. I was not medicated until 2003, when I was 15, because when I was growing up, the only psychiatric medication kids were put on was Ritalin, and nobody suspected that I had anything wrong with me other than being a "worrywart". Thus, even when my mother and I left my father, my OCD paradoxically worsened. OCD, and it's especially true in my case, does indeed worsen in times of stress, just like delusions and hallucinations in schizophrenia (the two are similarily related as they're both caused by a malfunction in the prefrontal cortex, albeit it a different area). Still, the anxiety is always there, no matter whether I go to CBT, take medication, abstain from medication, or whatever. It's just me... God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 02-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
(female)

*Stacy* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Hey, Stacy. I just wanted to let you in on my personal story- my father was mentally and verbally abusive to both my mother and I, and I know that he made my anxiety worse (on purpose at times...), but the inherent anxiety was always there. Also, a lot of my problems as a kid came from my mild Asperger's that I just realized a few months ago that I have. I was not medicated until 2003, when I was 15, because when I was growing up, the only psychiatric medication kids were put on was Ritalin, and nobody suspected that I had anything wrong with me other than being a "worrywart". Thus, even when my mother and I left my father, my OCD paradoxically worsened. OCD, and it's especially true in my case, does indeed worsen in times of stress, just like delusions and hallucinations in schizophrenia (the two are similarily related as they're both caused by a malfunction in the prefrontal cortex, albeit it a different area). Still, the anxiety is always there, no matter whether I go to CBT, take medication, abstain from medication, or whatever. It's just me... God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
Hey! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like yours are definetly biological and environmental. I think everyone can be predisposed to some disorder but it all depends on the environment in which you are brought up (and other contributing factors), to bring it out. I know that living in poverty, abusive relationships, stressful situations (and the list goes on), can only make matters worse.

I liked this article because I thought it went along the right lines when stating about how mental illness is viewed in society today and how it's thought of in the psychological and medical world.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I'd have to agree Stacy.
Although personally, I never lived in poverty (military 'lower-middle class' always), was never abused (parents very loving, 20 years happy marriage) and never had significant trauma. So in some cases, environmental issues take a second part instead of a heavy factor base.

SGH

Old 02-17-2006, 04:55 AM   #11
(female)

*Stacy* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
I'd have to agree Stacy.
Although personally, I never lived in poverty (military 'lower-middle class' always), was never abused (parents very loving, 20 years happy marriage) and never had significant trauma. So in some cases, environmental issues take a second part instead of a heavy factor base.

SGH
Well said. Of course environment isn't the only contributing factor but I just couldn't get over some of what this author stated in his essay. It made complete sense and was very interesting to me. Anyway, I only posted for people to enjoy the article and see the other side of it. Take care and talk soon!
Stacy =)

Closed Thread